Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-09, 12:23 AM   #37
Kaguya

Default Re: Darkest of Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The POW camp is actually a concentration camp, I thought, and is the moment I was talking about a few posts back. It was pretty amazing, and it looked visually stunning, as was the escape, and no, it did not have technical issues.

The levels are indeed open, and there are large plains where there is no real landmarks at times, but there is constant enemies usually. I never got the feeling I was walking forever with nothing to do, in other words... I would say it is like Crysis in this regard.

One other thing he mentions is how horrible the weapon are, but honestly I found using to be fun and different. He completely writes off the upgrade component, and with my reload maxed out those old muskets reload in a second... it feels different from other shooters. Maybe his performance was crap due to crappy port controls so he never got upgrades.

I am not saying the game is amazin, and it has a lot of flaws. It all depends on what you value on whether you will like it or not. But a ONE? It's just insane and uncalled for. Same with IGN and their 4. I think it comes down to polish in the end... some gamers are used to that 100 million dollar polish and look down at a game that doesn't have it, and in this case it's even worse because of the bad 360 port.
Thanks. To be honest the only part of the review I agree with is that it does seem a bit far-fetched to expect that someone snatched from the battlefields of the Civil War will function so well jumping here, there and everywhere through time. If you can travel through time, it wouldn't have been much to have a brief montage or something to express that time has passed and that you've gone through some coping etc... rather than literally a minute after arriving you're back out there.

Other than that, though, I think that the reviews of this game are going to continue to be like this - XBox reviews garbage, PC reviews favourable.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 12:37 AM   #38
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Thanks. To be honest the only part of the review I agree with is that it does seem a bit far-fetched to expect that someone snatched from the battlefields of the Civil War will function so well jumping here, there and everywhere through time. If you can travel through time, it wouldn't have been much to have a brief montage or something to express that time has passed and that you've gone through some coping etc... rather than literally a minute after arriving you're back out there.

Other than that, though, I think that the reviews of this game are going to continue to be like this - XBox reviews garbage, PC reviews favourable.
Yeah, that story part is a little silly... it plays out exactly like the demo. I kind of just pretend there was a time cut, even if there wasn't.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 03:08 AM   #39
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I really liked it, don't get me wrong. I just meant it wasn't anything special or really innovative, compared to something like FEAR or Half Life 2.
Here I have to agree. Fear was incredible when came out
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 05:27 AM   #40
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Finished the game... the last couple levels are really awesome. Without spoilers, I will just say it is all-out warfare, which is different from the rest of the game. There are pictures of the final time period on the box and such, so you probably know what it is already anyway, so I went ahead and took some pics to post... no spoilers, just the enviornment. It was a great couple levels.

The ending story-wise was kind of cool. The story suffers from a lack of budget, but they had a nice twist at the end despite that.

All around I will say this game impressed me. It is not a big budget game and it is not a AAA title obviously, but if you like unique FPS games and liked the demo at all, I would give it a shot.

Last pics:

I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 09-11-09, 05:41 AM   #41
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Let Pompeii burn.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 05:49 PM   #42
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

If you can ignore the cheesy I WANT TO BE A STAR vibe of this thing, I found I agree completely with this 360 review, other than the technical issues only on the 360 port:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKr_LyeyaIc

Old 09-11-09, 08:06 PM   #43
JohnDio

This whole PhysX thing gets frustrating.

PhysX High and 1600x1200 + 4xFSAA + Max settings : 32fps
PhysX High and 1600x1200 + 0xFSAA + Max settings: 34fps
PhysX High and 1600x1200 + 0xFSAA + Max settings: 32fps (in Single GPU Mode with multi-gpu disabled in CC).

PhysX indicator shows that GPU is doing the physics so WTF is going on here? No difference at all by removing the FSAA? The above situation shows CPU limitation but the point of the god damn nvidia hardware was to make the GPU's handle the physics and free some resources for the CPU. So, let's put the physics in medium.

PhysX Medium and 1600x1200 + 4xFSAA + Max settings: 47fps

Voila. So let me get this right, Nvidia suggests a GTX280 and a dedicated card physics. I am using the one core of the GTX295 for the graphics and the other core for the physics and it still can't handle them? Dear God, if they have to use the PhysX effects, at least they should take advantage of them instead of bottlenecking the damn game

PS: Yeah, i have the latest PhysX software driver and i'm fine with all the non-physx games.
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 08:49 PM   #44
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I just played the demo. An assault rifle in the Civil War?! Yes! I have waited for a game like this for a long long time. Ever since I played Time Commando and was pissed I couldn't take back the future weapons to beat up the cavemen. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-09, 03:16 AM   #45
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

OMG That Australian chick that plays mother. I just want to rip her throat out. How does she get Video Game Voice Acting work with that new reader voice? It doesn't fit the game at all!

EDIT: Diane de Zylva that's her http://www.voices.com/people/dianedezylva and http://bluegumstudios.com/ That voice. I hear it all the time on radio and docos and I just want to gah! Urge to kill rising. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 04:12 AM   #46
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

lol

she has audio books I'll get you a few
Old 09-13-09, 09:15 AM   #47
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I hear it all the time on radio and docos and I just want to gah! Urge to kill rising. ::
Lol, channel it into the game!

I wasn't too keen on her voice in the demo either, but I suppose you get what you pay for. Is 8 Monkey Labs Australian? (quick Internet search) Nope, their from Iowa. Weird. I guess Australia must go on to conquer the world in the future, which would explain Mother's accent

Damn, I keep debating if I should buy this now for 10% off or wait until later when there's another sale. I just don't have time to actually 'play' it now, but hate to miss a deal
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 03:23 PM   #48
hell_of_doom227

I am stuck at Civil War Mission where i got order from General French to clear out the road. It's so stupid...really bad bug? Any ideas?
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote