Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-09, 10:17 PM   #1
Lfctony

Default Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Use Of Fallout License

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25226

Quote:
Bethesda filed a complaint -- obtained by Gamasutra -- in the U.S. District Court of Maryland on September 9 requesting a preliminary and permanent injunction against Interplay's manufacture, sale, and distribution of Fallout Trilogy, which includes the classic PC games Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

Bethesda accused Interplay of trademark infringement, claiming that while Interplay was permitted to sell pre-existing Fallout games, it was required to submit to Bethesda all relevant packaging, advertising, and promotional material prior to bringing the catalog titles to market.
Arrogant little bastards, aren't they?

Quote:
If Bethesda prevails, Interplay would lose the rights to develop the Fallout MMO. There is little to show for the progress of the Fallout MMO in public venues, although many speculate that a mysterious title called Project V13 is in fact the Fallout MMO.
Right now, I feel sorry I paid them money for Fallout 3...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 10:22 PM   #2
Yaboze

Default Re: Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Use Of Fallout License

Bethesda should concentrate on making Fallout 3 not crash.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 10:28 PM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

They just want to stop Interplay from messing with what they have built the Fallout name into. I am sure they view it as they built the name into something much more than it ever was, and if Interplay ever somehow manages to release an MMO that sucks, it will tarnish what they are doing.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 10:32 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

bastards
Old 09-11-09, 10:36 PM   #5
methimpikehoses

Bethesda paid good money for the trademark, seems like they have a legit gripe to me.
Old 09-11-09, 10:59 PM   #6
Lfctony

Well, if they feared Interplay would make a mess of things (I don't see that happening, both Fallout games (the actual RPGS) were pretty great), they shouldn't have let them have any rights on the Fallout name for future development. Right now, I think they are using a technicality to get out of an agreement. (Just like an insurance company will find a crappy clause in a contract and not pay you for an accident you had...)
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 11:25 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Well, if they feared Interplay would make a mess of things (I don't see that happening, both Fallout games (the actual RPGS) were pretty great), they shouldn't have let them have any rights on the Fallout name for future development. Right now, I think they are using a technicality to get out of an agreement. (Just like an insurance company will find a crappy clause in a contract and not pay you for an accident you had...)
Well, I think they were only able to buy the name because they let Interplay keep the MMO rights, since Interplay had plans for an MMO already.

I'm sure if they could have bought them outright, they would have.

From what I understand, Interplay is indeed way past deadline on their required progress on the MMO though, so I don't really blame Bethesda for wanting the agreement enforced.

The Fallout Trilogy thing... I agree it is nitpicking, that one's a little icky.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 11:35 PM   #8
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

Meh, I support Bethesda. Oblivion and FO3 have my heart
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-09, 12:12 AM   #9
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Bastids!!

wait .. what?

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 02:34 AM   #10
Atomizer

Stop there criminal scum! *zooms in to face*
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 05:22 AM   #11
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
They just want to stop Interplay from messing with what they have built the Fallout name into. I am sure they view it as they built the name into something much more than it ever was, and if Interplay ever somehow manages to release an MMO that sucks, it will tarnish what they are doing.
You are my idol man
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 06:19 AM   #12
newparad1gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Fallout 1 and 2 were great because of Black Isle Studios development team. Interplay just published them. Now that the studio is defunct, I don't know who was given the reigns to the MMO.

Fallout Trilogy is also a somewhat misleading name too for that pack. It implies Fallout 1, 2, and 3, but in actuality is Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. People would get this expecting 3 in the package, which is why I guess Bethesda is taking issue..
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote