Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-09, 12:56 PM   #13
wrathofgod

Default Re: LMAO @ this bug in Batman - PC

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely buying the game and support all good game developers, but...

lol...there was a fix for that a day after the game was leaked...
wrathofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 01:04 PM   #14
Redeemed

Pirates FTL.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 02:01 PM   #15
dikinher
Grab em!

They should do this with all games. And after installation of a purchased copy, have a message pop up and prompt users to register their game on a website to patch their game via a downloader.
Old 09-12-09, 02:50 PM   #16
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
It's a good idea as long as the devs let people know.

Titan's Quest apparently had the same sort of things, but didn't tell anyone until after the studio went belly up. Intentional? Or just a way to cover up game breaking bugs?
Yeah TQ should have had a error message saying that the crash was due to a failed protection check, as it was it would just drop players to the desktop and that got it a bad name, people just thought it was unstable and buggy, when in reality it was just a pirated copy with only the initial check removed that caused pretty much all of the issues.
And that gave some bad word of mouth.

As they mentioned in that post after they shut down, they had their forums swamped by people crying about instability before the game was even released.
Old 09-12-09, 05:51 PM   #17
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikinher View Post
They should do this with all games. And after installation of a purchased copy, have a message pop up and prompt users to register their game on a website to patch their game via a downloader.
This.

Problem is, the PC platform. Anyone can reverse engineer, crack and patch things. ::

Honestly, if more ISP capped people connections, more would go out and buy games. They are gamers, they have to have the game. If they can't get it online after being capped, you know they'll go down and buy the damn thing. Same for movies and TV programs.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 04:30 AM   #18
jlippo

Quote:
It's a good idea as long as the devs let people know.

Titan's Quest apparently had the same sort of things, but didn't tell anyone until after the studio went belly up. Intentional? Or just a way to cover up game breaking bugs?
Spyro on Ps1 had tens of those as well, all kinds of little clitches and characters telling you to buy the game.
After couple of stages there was point where one jumping platform was missing so you couldn't complete the game.
It took a long time for pirates to make perfect hack to the game.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 05:04 AM   #19
Lfctony

Quote:
Honestly, if more ISP capped people connections, more would go out and buy games. They are gamers, they have to have the game. If they can't get it online after being capped, you know they'll go down and buy the damn thing. Same for movies and TV programs.
What, and kill digital distribution in the process? I don't think you've thought about it all the way through...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 05:46 AM   #20
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Steam and the like would be quota free fancy pants.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-09, 06:05 AM   #21
Lfctony

Quote:
Steam and the like would be quota free fancy pants.
Ok. What will they cap then? Torrents? Fine. Newsgroups? OK. How do they cap rapidshare and the lot? Unless they cap the whole connection, those cannot be blocked since its the standard http protocol that is used. I know first hand, my old ISP used to pull tricks like that when they had bandwidth problems. If you cap that, you cap everything that uses it, including normal websites and sites like Filefront/Fileplanet etc, including Steam and the like...

So an ISP would be committing suicide... If my info is wrong, someone say so...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 07:32 AM   #22
jolle

capping is really weak, what about people working with things like SVN and syncing data daily, you could run into that cap pretty fast.
This would be pretty much every open source or mod project.
Old 09-13-09, 07:51 AM   #23
ATi
RooR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Ok. What will they cap then? Torrents? Fine. Newsgroups? OK. How do they cap rapidshare and the lot? Unless they cap the whole connection, those cannot be blocked since its the standard http protocol that is used. I know first hand, my old ISP used to pull tricks like that when they had bandwidth problems. If you cap that, you cap everything that uses it, including normal websites and sites like Filefront/Fileplanet etc, including Steam and the like...

you sir are not wrong you are right
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 08:42 AM   #24
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post

People are always going to find a way to pirate things, whether it be games, music, movies, programs, etc. And yes, you are right. You ISP can't cap bandwidth or speeds just to stop some pirates, that's a little extreme IMO. How would you like to have your Interwebz cut down to 56k speeds again because your neighbor or friend on the same ISP decided to download a movie?

The Batman anti-piracy was a pretty good idea IMO.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote