Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-09, 10:36 AM   #25
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: LMAO @ this bug in Batman - PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
People are always going to find a way to pirate things, whether it be games, music, movies, programs, etc. And yes, you are right. You ISP can't cap bandwidth or speeds just to stop some pirates, that's a little extreme IMO. How would you like to have your Interwebz cut down to 56k speeds again because your neighbor or friend on the same ISP decided to download a movie?

The Batman anti-piracy was a pretty good idea IMO.
Well on the other hand, why not cap data transfer/month, but not speed? Why would you need more than 50gb each month if it's legal? They could create special "lines" for legal HD movie streaming etc., seperate from "the normal" internet. Just an idea, I haven't thought it totally through..
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 10:53 AM   #26
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post
Well on the other hand, why not cap data transfer/month, but not speed? Why would you need more than 50gb each month if it's legal? They could create special "lines" for legal HD movie streaming etc., seperate from "the normal" internet. Just an idea, I haven't thought it totally through..
50GB is still a lot... That's like 3-4 games at least (say you use 1GB a day for normal traffic). And its not like companies (for their own reasons) aren't doing this already. People will still find ways to download the games. They'll just be more selective and not download everything in sight, but only what they really want...

Personally, I think they should abolish DRM completely(meaning limited installations). All it does is push legitimate customers away. In my case, I didn't buy X3:TC because of limited installations. Had I known Clear Sky had limited installations, I wouldn't have bought that one either.

I think the way for this is similar to steam. 1 common platform, used by all games during installation. Unlimited installations with required key registration. And red flags popping up on many installations using the same key with different ips... People with no internet could use phone activation... Again, registering their key...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 10:59 AM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

just release all games on 50gb blu-ray, not many people will want to download 50gb
Old 09-13-09, 03:25 PM   #28
zarlaan

Then all you have to do is cut out all the extra crap from the blu-ray like they already do and get a reasonable sized download. If a developer is going to put a game on a 50GB disk then they better be making one hell of a game otherwise it's a waste of time and effort.

In truth the only thing that will eventually limit pirating for a while is bandwidth. Mark Cuban even predicted it many years ago. ISP's are already hurting on bandwidth and why a lot like comcast are starting to cap it. When games and applications finally do get up to 100GB or more in the not too distant future the ISPs will all be capped until the hardware catches up again and they have the extra bandwidth to provide all the customers.

The fiber optic is in place already in a lot of places and has been for sometime. Companies are just now starting to upgrade the switches to handle the the speeds. Currently up to 24TB/s of data can be transferred over a single strand of fiber. Just need the end devices that connect the fiber to catch up.
zarlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 03:48 PM   #29
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlaan View Post
The fiber optic is in place already in a lot of places and has been for sometime. Companies are just now starting to upgrade the switches to handle the the speeds. Currently up to 24TB/s of data can be transferred over a single strand of fiber. Just need the end devices that connect the fiber to catch up.
That's pretty amazing.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 05:00 PM   #30
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post
If you are like me and spend a lot of time online, whether it be for work or pleasure, then you may need more than 50GB a month. I know clients who work from home and pull massive amounts of data to and from the main office. I really need to find a bandwidth counter, place it on someone's computer and see how much they use a month.

Are we really to a day and age where there are more pirated copies than purchased copies? Does this really happen to blockbuster games like CoD, Madden, Tiger Woods, Doom, Source Games (L4D, CSS, HL2)? I'd be real surprised if that were true.

My honest opinion? Piracy is bad and all, but I don't think we are too a point to where it's THAT big of a problem.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 06:09 PM   #31
trivium nate

lol nice
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 07:21 PM   #32
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Pirate FAIL.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-09, 10:47 PM   #33
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
My honest opinion? Piracy is bad and all, but I don't think we are too a point to where it's THAT big of a problem.
My opinion is very close to yours. I believe good games will sell, regardless of piracy. ****ty games will not sell well, but piracy will be blamed. Exceptions do exist though. But that is the trend I see. And I also don't believe that 1 download equals to 1 lost sale. There are people who just download stuff because they can, but don't play the game or people who download because its free, but wouldn't have bought the game for money.

People who want a game so bad they would have rushed down the store and buy it vs downloading it off the net instead, now those are lost sales. Or people that would buy it eventually, but end up downloading it, eventually...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

Boycott Starforce...

Old 09-14-09, 03:00 AM   #34
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Ok. What will they cap then? Torrents? Fine. Newsgroups? OK. How do they cap rapidshare and the lot? Unless they cap the whole connection, those cannot be blocked since its the standard http protocol that is used. I know first hand, my old ISP used to pull tricks like that when they had bandwidth problems. If you cap that, you cap everything that uses it, including normal websites and sites like Filefront/Fileplanet etc, including Steam and the like...

So an ISP would be committing suicide... If my info is wrong, someone say so...
I know first hand too. My ISP does cap, but certain sites are quota free and are not capped. Steam is not capped and is quota free. So I can go as crazy as I like on Steam, Gamershell, Xbox Live and it's always uncapped. If I go crazy on Torrents and anything else I can be capped.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:18 AM   #35
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I know first hand too. My ISP does cap, but certain sites are quota free and are not capped. Steam is not capped and is quota free. So I can go as crazy as I like on Steam, Gamershell, Xbox Live and it's always uncapped. If I go crazy on Torrents and anything else I can be capped.
You can't cap rapidshare, megaupload, storage.to, hotfile, etc. These all use the same protocol as steam and normal websites... If you cap those, you are capping everyday, normal internet as well... So, it cannot be done, as its too much...

Boycott Starforce...

Old 09-14-09, 07:20 AM   #36
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
My opinion is very close to yours. I believe good games will sell, regardless of piracy. ****ty games will not sell well, but piracy will be blamed. Exceptions do exist though. But that is the trend I see. And I also don't believe that 1 download equals to 1 lost sale. There are people who just download stuff because they can, but don't play the game or people who download because its free, but wouldn't have bought the game for money.

People who want a game so bad they would have rushed down the store and buy it vs downloading it off the net instead, now those are lost sales. Or people that would buy it eventually, but end up downloading it, eventually...
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think piracy is a huge issue right now and I don't know why everyone here is humping the anti-piracy bandwagon so much lol. "Piracy makes me so sick! Devs lose so much money on pirates!"
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote