Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-09, 12:33 AM   #109
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Official Need For Speed Shift thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
OMG, the 3DO version of NFS was amazing at the time.
The 3DO version is THE original version. All other were ports. Good ports, back when we really didn't know they were ports.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 12:46 AM   #110
MaXThReAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Is it just me, or does this game seem to have a slight "jerkiness" or something?
I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel fluid like grid did. Maybe I need to update my drivers..

Also, this takes forever to load between races even with ssd's.
My replays are not normally that jerky. I should recored at a lower resolution. If I set too high of AA the replays do get jerky though.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 01:37 AM   #111
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

This needs sticky. muchos sticky.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:18 AM   #112
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

rolia, there is def more going on here. Grid never seemed like it was pushing the envelope of my pc. Shift has some pretty super detailed cars and fairly impressive (atleast..enough to give my video card a work out) so I am not surprised I lose frames on some scenes.

I do notice however..mainly on replays, NPC cars do have a habit of jerking around, as if there was a slight lag in multiplay. Its a movement in their motion that dosn't look natural. I overlook it for now.
Old 09-18-09, 03:20 AM   #113
NyquistLimit

I've found that with my cheapo Logitech Formula Force Ex wheel, i've had to set the wheel up like:

throttle sensitivity - 9% - heavy footed?
brake sensitivity - 35%
steering sensitivity - 25%

I'm still playing around with it though. I wish it was easier and quicker to test the wheel settings. Something like rfactor's setup screen that shows how pedal position / steering wheel position relates to throttle response / wheel angle would be nice.

In terms of driving physics, i'm a big rfactor fan, especially the Porsche Carrera Cup mods (PCC 2005 Germany etc), and the physics in Shift are good, but it definitely feels a bit strange at times. The back end of the car seems to slide out as if all of the cars have 80% of the weight at the back end, even at low speeds and without heavy throttling. Also, it seems like you get more success from throwing the cars into the corners abruptly, rather than trying to gracefully preserve the tires.

Havn't tried the car tuning yet though, so that might help. And I'm still not 100% happy with the wheel setup so maybe I can find a sweet spot with further tweaking.
NyquistLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 05:16 AM   #114
NyquistLimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Those are two of the three main reasons why I absolutely hate Shifts handling. The other one is the FFB.
I tried to mess around with the car setups (just the basic 4 parameters for now) and it's possible to improve the handling of the car but it's still no fun to drive.

Also I don't really like the AI, way too aggressive. Imagine a driving style like that in a real race or online racing sim - you'd be banned or at least penalized instantly.
It definitely feels like they've induced the heavy rear-end movement so that the mainstream crowd gets to experience more "fun" oversteer / drifting like you see in every Top Gear car review.

Throwing the cars into the apex is strange because it feels like the car suddenly acquires more grip when you jarringly turn the wheel.
Old 09-18-09, 05:52 AM   #115
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

How does this game compare to ToCa racedriver 3?

May go get it today.

Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 08:08 AM   #116
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I ****ing loved hot pursuit 2. helicopter dropping barrels ftw.
Yes sir, that was definitely a fun game. How about Hot Pursuit 3

Old 09-18-09, 08:35 AM   #117
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Well, it was obvious it wasn't made for people like you and me. That's why I didn't get it.

Of course they didn't go far enough to please people like Slawter.

Damned if you do...
I agree. My question is, they made plenty of fun Need for Speed games, why did they have to ruin it with all this semi SIM stuff? Need for Speed Shift is definitely NOT a SIM, it's an arcade version of a SIM. So it's actually made for people like you and I but also trying to bring in a new crowd. Probably because of slow sales on some of their games. But to me they'll loose the very people that kept them going and not bring in the crowd they wanted to expand to. I agree with your quote but I want them to stay true to the game they're selling. (Need for Speed)

As for Need for Speed Shift. I did okay in the practice race and won the first race, so I can definitely play the game, it's just not fun like the others. Round and round on a track equals, no fun. Racing through City Streets, blasting down the Hiway and Mountain Roads, equals FUN. Oh... and running from the Cops is totally fun. And dodging barrels is fun too.

I grew up in a small town where they had gravel and dirt roads all around it. I blasted everywhere having the most fun. Then when I got older I couldn't do that anymore but the Need for Speed games allowed me to, and that was GREAT. But now it's just another go around the boring track like 50 others. I HATE IT. I may play it, but I HATE it none the less.

I'm over 60 so I know my vote doesn't count anymore. And I still race with the keyboard like I did when I started playing games when I worked for Apple Computer. To me they seem to be messing up most of the new games.
Old 09-18-09, 08:54 AM   #118
NyquistLimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I give up. I've tried for hours now to get the cars to handle better. Even with car setups that are focused on grip and understeering, the cars are snap loose.

This game is a waste of time
It's a shame - I was really looking forward to this game. I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just not a sim. I'm gonna switch on traction control, ABS and auto shifting and try to have some fun with it - I don't see the point in trying to play this like a sim when the physics model purposefully makes it wrong.
Old 09-18-09, 02:12 PM   #119
KrAzYeTy

Ok I decided to record a video for all to enjoy. The reason I did this is because I feel NFS is quite accurate in some areas, but still slightly on the Arcade side.

The first video is a real life lap of Nordsleife, in coc*pit view just like the game so it gives you something to compare my video to. The car is a Nissan GT-R R35 with a laptime of 7.26.7.

Now here is my video of the exact same track but not with the same car, mine is a 2008 BMW 135i Coupé so needless to say I cannot complete with the real life lap time, mine ended up being 8.32.72

Youtube Description
Quote:
In response to this real life video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KXIPCQYC4 , which I have always enjoyed I decided since I can't drive the track in real life why not give it a shot in Need for Speed Shift. Also I wanted to show the masses how accurate NFSS track and physics model is compared to real life. Obviously I am no where near the driver the guy is in the other video. Also I am only driving the 2008 BMW 135i Coupé. I had one major mistake at the banked corner (hate that corner) but other than that an OK but extremely fun lap. My lap time is a modest 8.32.720 Played on Q6600 w/295GTX at 1920x1200, 4xAA and 8X AF with a Microsoft Precision Steering wheel and pedals.
KrAzYeTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:16 PM   #120
shilk

Isn't the game supposed to be predominantly "drift" circuit-style racing? I mean, there's interviews with drift racers for the development of the game, and I could have sworn that this NFS was supposed to be along the lines of this style.

I don't think it's supposed to be a game where you're supposed to "preserve tires" or anything. I haven't played it yet, so I wouldn't know. But I'm assuming the game has the Ridge Racer style as far as drift handling goes.

I'm still downloading the demo, so I guess I can hold off from the purchase until I get a better feel for the game. But from what I've read so far, it seems to be a mixed bag of feelings about this game.

Edit: Freakin Awesome video KrAzYeTy! That racing style is exactly what I was trying to describe. I really love how when you get going fast, the g-force sinks you into the seat more. Conincidently, the first video is in Japanese (where the Drift Kings are) and makes be believe this is exactly what they were trying to achieve in the game.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote