Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-09, 01:55 AM   #157
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Official Need For Speed Shift thread

Excellent clip, I cant do sh*t without the driver assists with the Pagani.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 02:32 AM   #158
MowTin

I blew the dust off LFS and did a few laps using the XR GTR around Westwind (sp?) using the DFP. Then I played the Shift demo. Did some laps around London using the GTR.

Mind you I am not a sophisticated sim racer.

The force feedback in LFS is better but it's a subtle difference. Also spinning out feels more natural in LFS. Other than that I did not experience much difference. You can try it out for yourself using the LFS demo's turbo car.

One ugly mark for Shift is the collisions. Those are very arcadey and feel out of place in this game. You can basically plow through cars without any problems. But if you don't go around crashing into cars you won't notice.

Also the damage model is nearly non-existent. Your car is indestructible. You can dent it up a little but a 150 mph head on collision with a wall won't stop you. There really should be an option for more advanced damage.

This game chokes my old GTS. Had to bring things down to no AA and medium track @ 1900x1080. At those settings it looked good much better than current PC sims but not as good as GT5P on the PS3.

Also the replays aren't as good as GT5 replays.

Except for the collisoin nonsense it's better than Forza/GT5 but not as good as LFS/GTR2/iRacing.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 02:38 AM   #159
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I dug out my old Logitech Momo FF and pulled it part, clean out the pedals, reseated everything, plugged it in, install the drivers and tried it with Shift. It's actually pretty good, better than any of the previous games were, well except maybe Porsche. Only problem I have is the menus scroll all the time unless I press the accelerator down.

Also have to say, I got a little excited when I hoped in the Veyron the first time and hit that long straight. Oh man. The sensation of speed is very good.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 02:41 AM   #160
bob saget

Man the GTR is a pleasure to drive. I can do well with it now without the driver assists. The pagani is hard though. Every race, my Pagani finishes without the front "hood"
At least I can control the car better now and actually stay on the road hahaha
Old 09-21-09, 02:46 AM   #161
Retrolock

game envy! I will buy the retail version locally, coz the steam and other online digital download shops are so expensive!
Old 09-21-09, 05:35 AM   #162
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Guys does anybody know how the hell to get nitro working? ... Ive bought the nitro kit & have the little icon in the lower right, Its grayed out is this right? ... Do i have to buy a nitro bottle or build the nitro up while racing or something? .... Or does it only work in some cars?
Intel i7 920 D0@4GHz(Corsair Hydro H80i) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 16GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force LS SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Cooler Master HAF X Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 05:37 AM   #163
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Try the Maserati MC12. MUCH better than the Bugatti. The only way I found it, was I unlocked it, in the "borrowed" cars. It's in quick race.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 07:54 AM   #164
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR View Post
Guys does anybody know how the hell to get nitro working? ... Ive bought the nitro kit & have the little icon in the lower right, Its grayed out is this right? ... Do i have to buy a nitro bottle or build the nitro up while racing or something? .... Or does it only work in some cars?
It's k. That's how it's meant to be, just hold the nitro button and you'll see the icon slowly empty. You mightn't even notice the nitro in this game, it's not the kick you get in the previous games, it's much more realistic.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-09, 01:58 PM   #165
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Try the Maserati MC12. MUCH better than the Bugatti. The only way I found it, was I unlocked it, in the "borrowed" cars. It's in quick race.
wow they have that car in there?
Old 09-21-09, 04:18 PM   #166
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
It's k. That's how it's meant to be, just hold the nitro button and you'll see the icon slowly empty. You mightn't even notice the nitro in this game, it's not the kick you get in the previous games, it's much more realistic.

Yip thanks for that your spot on, i was just giving it a quick press and expecting my car to go SwooSSh ... lol.
Intel i7 920 D0@4GHz(Corsair Hydro H80i) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 16GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force LS SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Cooler Master HAF X Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 08:56 PM   #167
bob saget

holy sh*t its 70 bucks?
Dont know if i am ready for a commitment like that....
Old 09-22-09, 12:42 AM   #168
MowTin

I just unlocked the Zonda in the demo and all I can say is....WOW. That thing is a beast but ohhhhh the sound is so delicious. This game was meant to be played with headphones.

Am I playing the same gave as everyone else? I hear a lot of complaints about the steering but I have ZERO problems with it.....deadzone 2%.....all sensitivities 50%...lock 50%....FF 8.

The FFB is damned good too. When you roll over those sidestrips it's like you can feel every bump.

I also have very little trouble holding the tail on the Zonda. All aids off except for abs.

Sadly the collision physics is awful awful awful. I just cringe when I plow through a car.

I'll definitely buy this after I get a new graphics card in a couple of weeks. I hope they fix the collisions.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote