Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-11, 03:17 AM   #1
MaXThReAT

Default PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming! Thoughts?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...Live-PC-Gaming

What do you think? I for one could not imagine life without some kind of central hub PC. I actually think laptops will die off first at home as networked touch screens, monitors, HDTVs and wireless accessories dominate, connecting to a central PC hidden in the home. I saw something about a wireless video card the other day. We can already play games literally over the internet merely watching a video of our gameplay. Ten years... yeah I could see it. I could see the central PC/hub being even further away, neighborhood, city, state. It would eliminate piracy as you don’t even download or run the game on your own hardware.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 03:59 AM   #2
HiCZoK4

Default Re: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming! Thoughts?

Its weird times we live in. Media are attacking from everywhere, just as media devices, net/note books. Ipads and other tablets. As well as consoles and stuff.

I guess its hard for new customers to choose what they really want or need.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 06:53 AM   #3
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

No, we don't live in a weird time. It's just... a time of change. A really needed change.

PC's can't continue existing like they do today... the CPU hasn't evolved in quite a lot of time but, at the same time, it can't really be replaced by some cheap counterpart (no matter how much NVIDIA or any third-party company wants it) or with GPU horsepower.

One of the problems the PC world has is... non-uniformity. Ok, many of you could call me a nazi for this (but you now it's partially true, at least), but... we have so many different architectures it's a real mess to optimize your code for it to work on every place. It's just... impossible.

On the other hand, consoles are a quite fast and (relatively) cheap way of do some decent gaming, but it lacks some important points for it to become 'the' platform of reference for gaming. Like... a better standardization of input devices. Microsoft Kinect, PlayStation Move, yeah, they're part of the solution evolution asks for but... there's still lots of gaps in this sense, like... proper mouse and keyboard support.

The PS3, for example, supports both keyboard and mouse for internet browsing. Unreal Tournament supports keyboard and mouse for gaming, but... that's about it. Go ask any other developer why aren't they supporting these devices and the answer will be something in the lines of 'because it's not an usual device in a console' or whichever stupid answer they come up with.

But, in the same fashion, consoles aren't destined to remain like they are, its days are equally 'numbered'.

Personally, this is the way I see gaming evolving to... Consoles will be the base platform, feature-wise, PC's will add those extra features wanted by many gamers (like high-resolution textures, mouse and keyboard, full OS integration within the device, application compatibility (up to a certain point)), and game creators will continue to have what they really need to focus on: a single platform where they can optimize their code, while (at the same time) having far better quality standars to work with.

Because, if we're really talking about gaming, hardware is not the important piece of it, but the fun you can extract out of it

Those are my two cents, at least
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:07 AM   #4
HiCZoK4

Couldnt agree more. Fine post well sir.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:42 AM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
but... there's still lots of gaps in this sense, like... proper mouse and keyboard support.
If proper KB&M support were standardized across consoles I would sell my gaming rig in a heartbeat and but a PS3 and RROD_box, no hesitation.

As things stand now, I personally don't mind console ports as a rule, but with neutered graphics, buggy releases (I agree on the difficulty optimizing code) and lack of any real innovation, pc gaming is rapidly souring on me any way.
Old 03-19-11, 07:47 AM   #6
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

There's one thing he failed to mention: Physical Media.

While it sounds like consoles will continue to live, I can guarantee that consoles will soon adopt a system much like Steam for their systems. Games will be downloaded from the internet to any console that has an account on it. If they did it right, they would allow people to have a unique account and be able to access that account from any console, not just their own.

Everything is evolving. We're finally getting to the point where internet-based content is becoming the norm, not a hassle or luxury (depending on where you stand). This is where we are going. Different types of controllers and inputs will happen, but we're going to see a massive transition from gaming as physical media to gaming as a service base. Hulu, youtube, netflix, google documents, Steam, MMORPGs, Facebook, etc. are all proof positive that this formula works.

That's where we actually stand. I don't think the PC is dead. It's evolving into a niche market (slowly) but are they ever going to get rid of PC gaming? Here's a hint: Console games are developed on PC workstations. Chew on that one for a little while....

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 08:33 AM   #7
Destroy

PC gaming is only dying because developers are selling the wrong goods. You don't try and sell Kia cars to high end doctors and lawyers. Why push poorly done, samey console ports to the PC crowd and expect it to flourish?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 08:54 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
PC gaming is only dying because developers are selling the wrong goods. You don't try and sell Kia cars to high end doctors and lawyers. Why push poorly done, samey console ports to the PC crowd and expect it to flourish?
Yes because when they focus on high end products it does so well? right?

Old 03-19-11, 08:58 AM   #9
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes because when they focus on high end products it does so well? right?
Works fine for Lexus and Mercedes. I'd happily pay 2x even 3x more for games if they were truly PC and of great quality/length.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Old 03-19-11, 08:58 AM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
That's where we actually stand. I don't think the PC is dead. It's evolving into a niche market (slowly) but are they ever going to get rid of PC gaming? Here's a hint: Console games are developed on PC workstations. Chew on that one for a little while....
No one said PC Gaming as a whole was going to die. It's going to become a niche market. What the video states is that PCs (the Desktop) as we know it are going to die. In the future people will buy PCs (the Desktop) for specific tasks and thats all, No longer will homes require a PC (the Desktop) for a variety of uses. I know many people who don't even own a desktop any longer, they own only a laptop. Are they gamers? Not all but the owns that do are more social gamers which lets be honest now is the biggest majority in the PC Gaming market today.
Old 03-19-11, 09:03 AM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Works fine for Lexus and Mercedes. I'd happily pay 2x even 3x more for games if they were truly PC and of great quality/length.
Yes and yet the Camry outsells them 2:1. I had an Infinity but I am more satisfied with my Mustang.

The PC Gaming community clearly doesn't share your views or PC sales would be a lot higher on key titles.
Old 03-19-11, 09:17 AM   #12
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes and yet the Camry outsells them 2:1. I had an Infinity but I am more satisfied with my Mustang.

The PC Gaming community clearly doesn't share your views or PC sales would be a lot higher on key titles.
You're not getting it. It's not about the sales numbers, it's about the product quality and refinement for the price.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R