Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-03, 05:29 PM   #13
digitalwanderer
 
digitalwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Highland, IN USA
Posts: 4,944
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
I can also say that it is asinine to suggest that EA would let any IHV (marketing agreement or no) convince them to "break" a part of ANY of their games just to "get back at nVidia's competitor"....how ridiculous.
Not meaning to flame you here BB, but why is it so asinine to suggest that nVidia might be using under-handed tactics/pressuring developers for favoratism? I'm not meaning to impune EA here, but nVidia has given lots of people lots of reasons to think exactly such things and I do not believe it is "asinine" to assume them capable of such.

And on the screenshots, is the nVidia sky supposed to look like it's just a solid blue-fill or is that just something weird with the way they captured that particular screenshot?
__________________
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 06:20 PM   #14
DivotMaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Not meaning to flame you here BB, but why is it so asinine to suggest that nVidia might be using under-handed tactics/pressuring developers for favoratism? I'm not meaning to impune EA here, but nVidia has given lots of people lots of reasons to think exactly such things and I do not believe it is "asinine" to assume them capable of such.

And on the screenshots, is the nVidia sky supposed to look like it's just a solid blue-fill or is that just something weird with the way they captured that particular screenshot?
I don't believe I was commenting on nVidia. I believe I said EA would not allow nVidia to pressure them into doing such things assuming that nVidia actually did such things. I am also speaking STRICTLY about the Tiger Woods development team. I know the TW Producers at EA and the development team at Headgate Studios extremely well and those people would not stand for tactics like that...

I believe the gamma of the two screenshots to be very different, but that is EXACTLY the differences I see between the 9800 Pro and the Ti4600.
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 06:36 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
I don't believe I was commenting on nVidia. I believe I said EA would not allow nVidia to pressure them into doing such things assuming that nVidia actually did such things. I am also speaking STRICTLY about the Tiger Woods development team. I know the TW Producers at EA and the development team at Headgate Studios extremely well and those people would not stand for tactics like that...

I believe the gamma of the two screenshots to be very different, but that is EXACTLY the differences I see between the 9800 Pro and the Ti4600.
besides the gamma and the some corruption on the 9800pro screenie... is there nothing else you notice on the 5900u/9800pro comparison on the screenie ?

Last edited by Sazar; 06-25-03 at 06:41 PM.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 06:37 PM   #16
digitalwanderer
 
digitalwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Highland, IN USA
Posts: 4,944
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
I believe the gamma of the two screenshots to be very different, but that is EXACTLY the differences I see between the 9800 Pro and the Ti4600.
Do you mean that when you try running Tiger Woods on a 9800 & GF4 that the only real visual difference is the gamma levels or the weird solid filled sky? (Again, I'm just honestly confused here and am looking for clarification...no fighting on this end. )
__________________
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 06:54 PM   #17
DivotMaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Do you mean that when you try running Tiger Woods on a 9800 & GF4 that the only real visual difference is the gamma levels or the weird solid filled sky? (Again, I'm just honestly confused here and am looking for clarification...no fighting on this end. )
No. The 9800 screen looks exactly like the output I get on my 9800 Pro.

The GF FX screen looks exactly like the output I get on my Ti4600...
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 07:13 PM   #18
digitalwanderer
 
digitalwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Highland, IN USA
Posts: 4,944
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
The GF FX screen looks exactly like the output I get on my Ti4600...
Ok, thanks. My question is does the FX have just a solid filled sky on your game too? Because aside from the water reflections that was the thing that sort of jumped off the screenshots and hit me square between the eyes like a hammer....it was a bit noticeable.

Is it like that or was it just the screenshots had different weather effects going?
__________________
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 07:45 PM   #19
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default

the water hazard on the OTHER side of the hole is not rendered on the gf FX screenie... either that or it is infested with algae and shadows under trees are kind of off...

the water also looks different to the 9800pro's water (disregard the texture corruption)..

and yes... the sky is a solid color rather than having variance...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 07:51 PM   #20
digitalwanderer
 
digitalwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Highland, IN USA
Posts: 4,944
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
the water hazard on the OTHER side of the hole is not rendered on the gf FX screenie... either that or it is infested with algae and shadows under trees are kind of off...
Doh! I can't believe I missed that! Yup, you're correct...definately something different there too.
__________________
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-03, 07:54 PM   #21
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Doh! I can't believe I missed that! Yup, you're correct...definately something different there too.
first thing that strikes people are the artifacts... but the rest of the image appears to be rendered better on the 9800pro.. or at least with more detail...

even the water looks better... albeit massively artifacted (the better part == non-artifact ridden)

however... I am still trying to figure out wtf lars was trying to imply with this comparison ?

this is similar to the flat water issue some nvidia cards have with splinter cell... I'd wager a genuine bug or other such issue thats just waiting for resolution...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 09:50 PM   #22
StealthHawk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
there were some interesting fubar points

lol... that is correct...

there are elements of the editorial that are a bit off... but on the whole the article is a darn sight better than the [H] article on the same topic...
I just recently skimmed the [H] editorial. Quite frankly I don't care much for what Kyle says about these issues. he has shown that he is either ignorant, biased, or clueless on the whole matter. Or some devious combination of the above. I mean, you either want to do a technical review with apples to apples comparisons or you want to do a "gaming review" as I have stated before. There really is no point in trying to go half way on each.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 09:57 PM   #23
DivotMaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
the water hazard on the OTHER side of the hole is not rendered on the gf FX screenie... either that or it is infested with algae and shadows under trees are kind of off...

the water also looks different to the 9800pro's water (disregard the texture corruption)..

and yes... the sky is a solid color rather than having variance...
Just noticed the missing water hazard in the FX shot. Not sure why that is.

The skydome looks to be the one that is used for "Sunny" conditions. Too bad you can't see the lens flare effects in either of those shots. All the others have volumetric clouds that move with the wind direction...it is really cool to play in Stormy conditions and watch the rain pelt you and leave little puddles on the ground, especially the green. Now if we could just render a "rooster tail" for the golf ball when it is putted in the rain, then we might be ON to something....

Believe it or not, the Radeon 9800 water might look better in a still shot, but the GF renders the animated water a bit more realistically. Hopefully ATI might offer some assistance this year in working some of these rendering issues....who knows?
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-03, 10:01 PM   #24
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Darkness Falls
Posts: 841
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
first thing that strikes people are the artifacts... but the rest of the image appears to be rendered better on the 9800pro.. or at least with more detail...

even the water looks better... albeit massively artifacted (the better part == non-artifact ridden)

however... I am still trying to figure out wtf lars was trying to imply with this comparison ?

this is similar to the flat water issue some nvidia cards have with splinter cell... I'd wager a genuine bug or other such issue thats just waiting for resolution...
so have ati fixed the game yet? they always seem to keep customers wait for some fixes for months. no offense.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presenting Tom's Hardware's Best Of Computex 2012 Awards News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 06-13-12 06:30 PM
Nvidia GeForce GT 640 Review: Cramming Kepler Into GK107 (Tom's Hardware) News GeForce GT 640 Reviews 0 06-05-12 03:41 AM
Tom's hardware shows a 2.4ghz+GeForce3 is as fast as 3.06ghz+GeForce4 4600?!? Mad Hatter CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 7 10-12-02 08:57 PM
The Inquirer Blasted druga runda Feedback Forum 49 09-14-02 05:17 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.