Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-09, 10:39 AM   #37
FearMeAll

Default Re: Jedi Knight Series on Steam - $20 for whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I was told by someone on WSGF that we will never see a user mod to replace the music either, since the only way that was possible was id releasing the source code or whatever.

Sad.

Honestly though, 4 levels in (with mah kick ashe litesabur) I hardly notice the lack of music... if it was on, then gone, I probably would, but with it never being there you just don't notice really.

The music in videos and dialogue and effects all play perfectly, and really that is all that is essential. I mean, don't get me wrong, if I had the CDs I would probably mess around and run the game on that, but I don't.
I still have the cds. I can play it in virtual pc in windows 98 just fine and the music works and everything. I have to run in software mode, but to me for an old game like this it is fitting.
I remember when I first bought that game so many years ago..I thought I was the shizzle.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 10:56 AM   #38
|MaguS|

I wonder if there is a way to rip the music from the cd and create an image of just the music that we can have to trick the game to think we have the cd...
Old 09-17-09, 11:46 AM   #39
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Music tracks were redbook (audio cd). To get them to work they'd have to mess around and try and get the engine to play the music as mp3/ogg etc. Not as easy as it sounds for a game of it's age given the assumed budget and time frame.

EDIT

LOL. Source probably is lost. A dev from the glory days probably made off with it. ::
Ahh, redbook audio. I remember how awesome it was hearing the music of Mechwarrior II blasting out of my puny PC speakers. One of the great innovations of the CD-Rom era

I definitely agree it wouldn't be easy. Basically all that would exist in the code would be 'load level X, play Track 3 CD on Repeat'.

If you could get someone to rip the CD tracks off their original disk (I have copies of Mechwarrior and Interstate '76 ripped because they're awesome ) and upload them in mp3 format, you could just load the correct track via your media player in the background on loop. If you have keyboard shortcuts to your media, you could probably even map 'next track' and mostly get the correct music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Magus|
I wonder if there is a way to rip the music from the cd and create an image of just the music that we can have to trick the game to think we have the cd...
Redbook audio isn't encoded. Basically there should be a Track 1 on the CD that would be the game files, and then Tracks 2-?? would be regular old .wav files saved on CD format. Putting the disc in an actual CD player would provide you with music. Rip to mp3 and play in background = win
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 02:58 PM   #40
jolle

Playing some JK2 atm, got it running 1080p, 115 fov and 2x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA.
Sweet game, but man where the games harder back then...
The crosshair is a bit confusing as it jumps around and snaps to stuff, like it autoaims, but Im getting the feeling it doesnt acctually auto aim to the crosshair location, cant seem to find anywhere to turn that off either. (gonna try dynamiccrosshair = 0, could work)
Old 09-17-09, 04:32 PM   #41
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Playing some JK2 atm, got it running 1080p, 115 fov and 2x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA.
Sweet game, but man where the games harder back then...
The crosshair is a bit confusing as it jumps around and snaps to stuff, like it autoaims, but Im getting the feeling it doesnt acctually auto aim to the crosshair location, cant seem to find anywhere to turn that off either. (gonna try dynamiccrosshair = 0, could work)
There is an auto-aim setting in the options menu, turn it off.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 04:36 PM   #42
jolle

Quote:
There is an auto-aim setting in the options menu, turn it off.
really? I assumed there was and was looking for it several times.
I guess Ill have to check again.
EDIT: I really cant find anything about auto aim anywhere in the menus.
Old 09-17-09, 11:49 PM   #43
alfredog1976

This makes me want to find my Jedi Knight CDs and reinstall. Loved these games.
alfredog1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 01:42 AM   #44
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Kaguya is right. IF the game still looks for CD tracks, then any audio CD should work. Whether it be the original tracks or your favorite Spice Girls CD.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-09, 02:13 AM   #45
jolle

Seems the shots land somewhat below and to the right of the crosshair, which at close range makes a pretty big difference (Im still on about JK2 here)
Dunno if itīs due to it being a 3d/1st person game, my widescreen resolution or what it might be, but that crosshair is off.
dynamiccrosshair setting in the cfg atleast stopped it from snapping to things.
Old 09-18-09, 03:30 AM   #46
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Seems the shots land somewhat below and to the right of the crosshair, which at close range makes a pretty big difference (Im still on about JK2 here)
Dunno if itīs due to it being a 3d/1st person game, my widescreen resolution or what it might be, but that crosshair is off.
dynamiccrosshair setting in the cfg atleast stopped it from snapping to things.
It might be the widescreen throwing off the crosshair... not sure. I didn't notice when I played it, but the aiming in this game is far from super accurate, so I might just not have realized.

I know you definately don't need to go to the config to stop the auto-aim... as I said, there is a menu option, same place as the crosshair options.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 09-18-09, 04:46 AM   #47
jolle

Quote:
I know you definately don't need to go to the config to stop the auto-aim... as I said, there is a menu option, same place as the crosshair options.
I must be blind cause I still totally cant find it.
is it specificly called auto aim?
Old 09-18-09, 06:41 AM   #48
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Setup->Gameplay->Auto Aiming

It's right there.