Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-09, 05:42 PM   #61
jolle

Default Re: Jedi Knight Series on Steam - $20 for whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I must have been thinking DF2... I dunno.

JK2 has auto-aim?
Doesnt seem like it, it has something where the crosshair snaps to things though, dunno if that affects the aim, would be pretty wierd if it doesnt.
Setting dynamiccrosshair to 0 in the cfg turned that off though.
Old 09-18-09, 06:15 PM   #62
Redeemed

I can't stop play DF!!!

Graphics absolutely suck, but the game is just soooooo fun! I wouldn't know how to contain myself if they did a re-make of that game using a more modern engine (CryEngine 3 ).

Anyhow, on the last level of DF. Plan to beat the game when I get home, and then it's onto JK: DF 2.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 09:45 PM   #63
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Doesnt seem like it, it has something where the crosshair snaps to things though, dunno if that affects the aim, would be pretty wierd if it doesnt.
Setting dynamiccrosshair to 0 in the cfg turned that off though.
I tested this... I loaded the game normally and the aim was perfect, then applied the widescreen method and the aim was off...

Guess I need to report that on WSGF.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 09:48 PM   #64
Redeemed

Is there a way to force the menus and cut-scenes in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 to be full screen? The maximize button is available... but if I press it all that happens is the menu/cut-scenes remains at it's windowed-size but the surrounding area goes black. Sure would be awesome if I could play the game full screen.
Old 09-18-09, 10:37 PM   #65
Redeemed

Yeah, with the cut-scenes being windowed- kinda' killed it for me.

And here I was all-hyped to beat DF, and then play through the remainder of the series one game at a time. Kinda' a major let-down. Seems there are some hacks that can force it to play full-screen, but I don't feel like dabbling with that now. I've yet to find the hacks, just read that some exist.

Anyhow, think I might fire-up iTunes and rent EPIII or the likes. Still in a SW mood, just not a game mood.

Yeah, yeah, call me finnicky.
Old 09-18-09, 10:42 PM   #66
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

If you make the videos full screen on a modern monitor they would look like nonsense, I image... massive blobs of pixels.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 10:50 PM   #67
Redeemed

Quote:
If you make the videos full screen on a modern monitor they would look like nonsense, I image... massive blobs of pixels.
Nah, I remember having it running just fine on an older rig of mine back in the day. Believe it was XP, on a 19" CRT (1600x1200). Game ran fine full-screen, even the cut-scenes. I believe that monitor just dropped down to the cut-scenes resolution (640x480 is it?). But if LA lost the source-code then they might not be able to get it to scale properly on wide-screen monitors.

Anyhow, I tried playing it, I'll get back into it- just not in much of a gaming mood now. lol
Old 09-19-09, 05:11 AM   #68
jolle

Quote:
I tested this... I loaded the game normally and the aim was perfect, then applied the widescreen method and the aim was off...

Guess I need to report that on WSGF.
Wierd, cause I had the same issue running one of the regular 4:3 resolutions and the standard 80 fov, tried a bunch of different FOVs, and tried to remove the cg_fov all together.
Anyway, I tweaked these values and now its dead center for me:
Quote:
seta cg_crosshairY "12"
seta cg_crosshairX "8"
Which offsets the crosshair placement 12 pixels to the right and 8 pixels down.
EDIT: aw man, that acctually only worked on relatively close range, now its way off at long range hehe.. back to the drawing board.

Old 09-19-09, 08:49 AM   #69
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Does JK1 work on 64bit Windows 7 anyone?
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 08:57 AM   #70
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
... Believe it was XP, on a 19" CRT (1600x1200). Game ran fine full-screen, even the cut-scenes. I believe that monitor just dropped down to the cut-scenes resolution (640x480 is it?). But if LA lost the source-code then they might not be able to get it to scale properly on wide-screen monitors...
I don't think it's source code or widescreen monitors that are the issue here. Basically, the cut-scenes were recorded at a set resolution (640x480 let's say) and no level of programming could change that - they would have to change the videos themselves. That being said, the issue here is that CRTs are completely different animals from LCDs. CRTs can display all different levels of pixel count, whereas the pixel count on an LCD is fixed. When an LCD is forced to display a rather low resolution (640x480) it's common for most LCDs to simply take 307200 pixels and display the image, while leaving the remaining pixels black (basically you'd get a little picture in the middle of your monitor exactly 640x480 with the rest of the screen being black). It's most likely Windows that's giving you the windows screen rather than forcing full screen on the cut-scenes, but even if full screen was forced, you still couldn't make the picture bigger on an LCD.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 02:57 PM   #71
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I don't think it's source code or widescreen monitors that are the issue here. Basically, the cut-scenes were recorded at a set resolution (640x480 let's say) and no level of programming could change that - they would have to change the videos themselves. That being said, the issue here is that CRTs are completely different animals from LCDs. CRTs can display all different levels of pixel count, whereas the pixel count on an LCD is fixed. When an LCD is forced to display a rather low resolution (640x480) it's common for most LCDs to simply take 307200 pixels and display the image, while leaving the remaining pixels black (basically you'd get a little picture in the middle of your monitor exactly 640x480 with the rest of the screen being black). It's most likely Windows that's giving you the windows screen rather than forcing full screen on the cut-scenes, but even if full screen was forced, you still couldn't make the picture bigger on an LCD.
That doesn't seem to make any sense, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I mean, I can go in and force my desktop to 640x480 if I wanted to. It will fill the entire screen just fine (I even tried this to get the cut-scenes and menus to work full-screen). Everything will appear over-sized and huge, but it works just fine. I don't have a small 640x480 box that's my desktop with a large black border as you're implying I would. It changes the resolution, and goes full screen- just like any CRT I've ever used. And this is with any and every LCD monitor as well.

They can go to lower resolutions, and run said resolutions at full screen. You can even go outside of their aspect ratio. I can't see a technical reason as to why they forced the menus and cut-scenes to run in windowed-mode. Unless it has something to do with the software. Who knows. I surely don't.

Anyhow, I just find it rather annoying. Was really looking forward to playing that game, and then the movies and menus are windowed. Kinda' killed the immersion factor for me.
Old 09-19-09, 04:33 PM   #72
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

You are misunderstanding him Redeemed. The movies as Kaguya said were filmed at a fixed res. Unlike ingame which is 3D and can scale pretty well and remain sharp. The movies will just become more and more pixelated or your LCD/Graphics card would try to scale it and would look pretty crap and on top of that, the game code just wasn't written to play menus and movies at any res other than 640x480. Back in the day the CRT would simply flick between res's pretty seamlessly. LCDs don't do that.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote