Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-09, 03:41 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default in game videos rant

Batman AA, Red Faction G, Wolverine just to name a few. All have this "issue"

You are playing Batman and part of the intro is nice in game engine rendered then a video cuts in and you get lower quality, compression artifacts, dull colors etc...

They should be able to just keep everything rendered in game engine.

end of rant
Old 09-16-09, 03:54 PM   #2
mojoman0

Default Re: in game videos rant

word. I think they compress everything to save space on DVD's, yet keeping everything rendered in real time may cause scripting, animation, effects performance slowdowns that could interrupt the atmosphere as well. Its hard to understand why so many games lack lip synchronization these days as well.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 04:30 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Yeah happens more often on the PC because of the higher resolution monitors... really annoying. KOTOR is horrible with this, they use ingame models for the cinematics but because their in compressed codecs they look horrible and pixelated.

Happens in ports basically, they render the video at TV resolution and never care to reencode it for PCs.
Old 09-16-09, 04:53 PM   #4
Toss3
.<<o>>.

I was just thinking about making a thread about this after I played nfs: shift; the intro looks simply awful.

Blu-Ray + uncompressed videos ftw(could help prevent piracy also )!
Old 09-16-09, 05:47 PM   #5
ATi
RooR

it makes me feel good! like im glad im playing it on a gaming rig lol if not it would look like that
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 11:15 PM   #6
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

uhmm..shifs intro looks fine... its pretty quality 720p video. beats the hell out of what most pc games are still using for ingame video compressions.
Old 09-16-09, 11:43 PM   #7
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Batman AA, Red Faction G, Wolverine just to name a few. All have this "issue"

You are playing Batman and part of the intro is nice in game engine rendered then a video cuts in and you get lower quality, compression artifacts, dull colors etc...

They should be able to just keep everything rendered in game engine.

end of rant
PC gamers will continue to suffer from the the ball and chain of the console. Limited-ass hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 12:00 AM   #8
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
PC gamers will continue to suffer from the the ball and chain of the console. Limited-ass hardware.
It has nothing to do with consoles versus PCs, Crysis and The Witcher did the same damn thing. It's a space and expense issue... creating 1080p video and storing it are a pain in the ass.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-09, 12:05 AM   #9
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It has nothing to do with consoles versus PCs, Crysis and The Witcher did the same damn thing. It's a space and expense issue... creating 1080p video and storing it are a pain in the ass.
but you are missing the point. video is not really required, just use in game cutscenes
Old 09-17-09, 12:10 AM   #10
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
but you are missing the point. video is not really required, just use in game cutscenes
I agree, unless they are going to use high-end videos that look a lot better than in-game graphics, like old games did. Splinter Cell or Jedi Knight, for example.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 09-17-09, 12:25 AM   #11
Kaguya

It may have things to do with when the videos are made during the production... if they are created before the full engine is working and were hand-crafted using CGI, or as stated above the constraints of a retail release may prevent them from putting higher quality videos on the DVD itself.

I do agree, though, and was thinking this exact thing while playing Batman. Here I have it on high detail with 2xAA and then along comes this horrible video. The thing is, it looks like Batman's videos were made with the engine (can cut SFIV and Mirror's Edge some slack for going with something a little different) and then just recorded with FRAPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Blu-Ray + uncompressed videos ftw(could help prevent piracy also )!
Interesting you should say this. Back in 'the day' when the Internet was young, and IRC was your friend, pirated copies of games almost always had the movies removed as they were a huge added chunk of data to download over your 28800 baud modem. If they went to full H.264 videos that were gigs unto themselves, then it could definitely put a damper on pirating as they would begin ripping the videos out again. However, this would also spell doom for digital distribution, which is already being touted as the way things will be in the future. Better to wish for in game rendering than HD video.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 12:40 AM   #12
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Interesting point on the videos... you're right about it harming digital distribution though.

Of course, DD has its own tricks still to come, I bet.