Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-09, 09:26 AM   #13
wysiwyg

Default Re: in game videos rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
but you are missing the point. video is not really required, just use in game cutscenes
+1 infinite

it would save on space with the cutscenes ingame
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 09:53 AM   #14
|MaguS|

You guys also need to take into account that cutscenes not using ingame models often have better animation then the game so the videos often depict scenes that would just suck ingame rendering due to limitation of the engines and animation systems.
Old 09-17-09, 10:02 AM   #15
AdamK47

There is one party to blame in this... consoles.

The rendering required by an game cut scenes wouldn't be as acceptable as having it prerendered on a console system. In terms of both framerate and quality. In game rendering can easily be done on the PC, but all of the prerendering work had already been done to accommodate these low powered consoles. A person playing the game on a console wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 10:09 AM   #16
ATi
RooR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post

The rendering required by an game cut scenes wouldn't be as acceptable as having it prerendered on a console system. In terms of both framerate and quality. In game rendering can easily be done on the PC, but all of the prerendering work had already been done to accommodate these low powered consoles. A person playing the game on a console wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.
+1 I blame consoles
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 10:13 AM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:

Um there are hundreds of console games that use realtime rendered scenes. Heck the entire MGS series for the most part does it... Uncharted does it for many of its scenes. Heck Heavenly Sword doesn't use any either I believe.

Again, its not a rendering issue but the developers wanting key scenes to be expressed better that could not be done with the ingame engine.
Old 09-17-09, 11:23 AM   #18
AdamK47

Come on... hop on the console bashing bandwagon. It's fun!
Old 09-17-09, 11:35 AM   #19
wysiwyg

consoles suck and will always be behind the tech PC's have

case closed :P
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 11:41 AM   #20
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
You guys also need to take into account that cutscenes not using ingame models often have better animation then the game so the videos often depict scenes that would just suck ingame rendering due to limitation of the engines and animation systems.
These have their own problems, of course... The HD movies in Dawn of War and Warhammer: Online (as well as WoW) all are beautiful intro movies, but they look next to nothing like the game itself.

I guess it's similar to the bullshots argument, would you rather have videos that look nothing like the actual game you're playing because they're made with CGI or have in-game rendering where the quality is higher than the video you'd probably be watching.

With Batman, though, it's confusing because it literally looks like they're using the in-game renders and recording it in video format. The only explanation for that is either they thought it'd be cool, or they had different teams working on it and the easiest way to re-incorporate them in was to film and import via video.

It's definitely not game-breaking for me, but sometimes they are jarringly different and don't feel part of the game, but something entirely unrelated.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-09, 04:38 PM   #21
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:

Yeah, that Crysis Warhead console port was terrible... they should have just left that sucker on Xbox.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 04:39 PM   #22
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
These have their own problems, of course... The HD movies in Dawn of War and Warhammer: Online (as well as WoW) all are beautiful intro movies, but they look next to nothing like the game itself.

I guess it's similar to the bullshots argument, would you rather have videos that look nothing like the actual game you're playing because they're made with CGI or have in-game rendering where the quality is higher than the video you'd probably be watching.
I've always loved detailed videos with amazing visuals that set the scene... just experienced this in Jedi Knight last night with the opening city fly-by... set the scene for the game very well.

I never understood why some people argued against it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 04:49 PM   #23
AdamK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Yeah, that Crysis Warhead console port was terrible... they should have just left that sucker on Xbox.
Some of the best in-game cut scenes are in Crysis Warhead. The part where Psycho tells the guy he's holding onto at the bridge he'll be OK and the scene after are spectacularly done.
Old 09-17-09, 05:10 PM   #24
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I've always loved detailed videos with amazing visuals that set the scene... just experienced this in Jedi Knight last night with the opening city fly-by... set the scene for the game very well.

I never understood why some people argued against it.
Didn't say *I* had a problem with it, but some of course do.

Hell, I watched the Mechwarrior 2 Intro over and over and over, and it looked nothing like the actual in-game encounters
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote