Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-09, 01:57 PM   #13
ElahiMohammad

Default Re: Instability of NVIDIA drivers on Linux 64 bit - thoughts?

I have some instability problems with my 8600GTM on 64bit suse 11.1.
By enabling coolbits and reducing 2D memory frequency from 100MHz to 80MHz solved my problem.
ElahiMohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:29 PM   #14
Rambetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElahiMohammad View Post
By enabling coolbits and reducing 2D memory frequency from 100MHz to 80MHz solved my problem.
How do you do that?
Rambetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 06:21 PM   #15
czarnyckm

I have the same problem on two systems with debian unstable amd64, nvidia 260gtx and 8800gt. If I start to play etqw the screen is getting corrupt and I must kill etqw from the console. I use 190.32 driver.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (42.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.old.gz (41.5 KB, 74 views)
czarnyckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 02:04 PM   #16
kcrudup

FWIW, the only problems I really ever had on my 64-bit box were related to Power Management, and NVidia seems to have fixed all those in the latest releases. While Compiz isn't as 3D-intensive as games are, there just haven't been issues.
Old 09-22-09, 05:08 PM   #17
Rambetter

Well, I installed 190.32 beta drivers a couple of days ago. I have not had a single crash or weird behavior since then. So I am calling this problem fixed until further notice.
Old 09-28-09, 06:34 PM   #18
Rambetter

Still no crashes or hangups with 190.32 drivers. Fixed! Thanks NVIDIA!
Old 05-15-10, 07:21 AM   #19
tsander

Hi,

I know it's been a while since anyone posted here, but this is the only thread I can find which describes the very same problem I'm currently having (and have had for several months...). The first post in this thread by Rambetter describes the problem/symptoms accurately - everything there goes for me as well.

However, in contrast to the reports in here, my stability problems remain after upgrading to the latest driver. Current version is the official 195.36.15 downloaded from NVidia's site, but I had the same problem with the previous 180, 185 and 190 driver versions.

I can't reproduce the freeze at will, but inevitably it will occur, be that after 5 minutes or 5 hours of work. Today only one freeze, last week I had six in one day. Also, it seems to occur in periods - for the past month it has been very often (several times per day), but prior to that it was maybe a month ago the last burst of freezes occurred.

I see a possibly interesting - or not? - variation of the problem when running X by starting it from console in "init 3" runlevel with "startx -- -logverbose 6" (this was of course done in order to produce the nvidia bug report as required). Rather than the usual total lockup requiring reboot when X is started by init, I get a series of short 5-10s freezes, that continue forever as long as any 3D graphics program is active (incl. glxgears). However, in between the freezes I am able to shut the program(s) down manually and stop them. If I try to start one of the programs again, the freezes will start immediately. Also, once the freezes have started, they'll come back immediately when I start a 3D graphics program even after shutting down X and starting a new session from console.

Either way, Xorg.0.log starts to produce a few lines similar to what is reported in the previous posts, e.g.:
(WW) May 06 12:49:54 NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 6, 0x8000, 0x00003f68, 0x00003f68)

Sometimes, a couple of short (5-10 seconds) freezes will precede the "major freeze-up", after which a line like that will appear in Xorg.0.log.

GPU heating does not seem to be the problem. I was monitoring it the other day and it was stable around 70 deg. C until the freeze, after which it seemed to drop a little (to around 68 degrees - I was looking at the nvidia-settings panel from a remote host via ssh -X).

I'm working with 3D graphics applications (structural/computational chemistry) on a high-end HP Z800 workstation with 2 quad-core Xeon x86_64 cpus, a Quadro FX 3800, 24 GB RAM, running CentOS 5.4 and kernel v. 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 (should be the latest official CentOS kernel, afaik). As mentioned, I have the latest NV-driver (195.36.15). I have also updated the BIOS to the latest (v. 03.07) from hp.com, and the problem persists.

I'm thinking it could be a hardware related issue. Other people in the office have the exact same setup as me and have never had this problem. I have tried various xorg.conf settings, e.g. decreasing the update frequency to not push the screen to the limit, but that doesn't help (and don't why it should, either - if that was actually the problem I figure I should see a bad image on the screen or something, not an Xorg process running at 100% cpu).

Latest nvidia bug report is attached. I was running X with "startx -- -logverbose 6".

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

/Tommy
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (65.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by tsander; 05-18-10 at 09:29 AM.
tsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 03:20 AM   #20
tsander

Update on my previous post from May 15: It appears the way the problem occurs now is in the form of 5-10s freezes, rather than the total lock-up I'm used to.

As mentioned in my previous post I thought this was a result from starting X manually with "startx", however today the problem resurfaced when running an X session as usual (after booting to init 5) but with the series of short freezes. I.e. as long as a 3D graphics window is not trying to update anything, everything works fine, but as soon as I try to let anything happen in the window (rotate a molecular 3D structure, or just moving another window across the 3D graphics window), a series of freezes start.

I don't know if its just a coincidence - I'll have to see what type of freeze I experience the next time. If the problem has consistently changed its behaviour, I guess it's a positive development as I am at least able to save my work before rebooting. (But it's still a pain in a certain place, though!)

Meanwhile, suggestions are more than welcome. Please!

Thanks.
tsander is offline   Reply With Quote