@hr_ Thanks man, this did the trick
ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 08:46 AM   #38
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Default Re: VDPAU Error: DISPLAY PRE-EMPTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragorep View Post
This error seems to be a (the?) major issue to resolve for NZ H264 and mpeg files.

I get it with vdpau / mythtv infrequently on a PCIe 8500GT and 180.60 mythbuntu 9.04 / JYA mythtv 21583 between 30 mins and some hours.

and much much more frequently with a PCI 9400GT / 190.25 / mythbuntu 8.10 / JYA mythtv 21583 (Within a minute of playing an mpeg file)
Could you confirm that it happens while playing a "file" and not only when receiving (and playing) from DVB?
I ask because I regularly get pre-emptions with my 9400GT PCI if (and only if) I tuned to a DVB channel before (KNC One DVB-S2) even if I only use the VDPAU mixer (and not hardware accelerated decoding).

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 02:56 PM   #39
Dragorep

Hi Carl

Firstly I've noted your previous expert contributions so take the moment to thank you.

Which driver version(s) are you using now? I found I no longer got the pre-emption error message using the 190.x drivers however I still get fatal video errors (190.40) after playing live TV it seems that it only happens after > an hour playing.

I also concluded that a particular motherboard model (I tried both these GA 7VRXP Rev 1.1 and GA 7VRXP Rev 2.0 both with AMD 2400's) had major issues with the PCI cards reliably producing fatal errors within a minute whether playing files or live TV. (however they had earlier worked fine with 5200 cards using SD). Why that is the case I can only speculate, perhaps marginal PCI power supply on the board, or any number of things way beyond my understanding. I've swapped one board out with an Intel 3000 based board which now behaves the same as the others, so the remaining components seemed ok. Adequate PSU is always a consideration for the relatively power hungry 9400's.

Single Intel 3000 CPU based motherboards with PCI 9400GTs have behaved as well for me as C2D 3G CPU PCIe 8500GT's. Most AMD PCI success reports were for CPU's > the 2400 however I had expected those to be OK also.

I also found that RAM > 2G had major issues with PCI bandwidth (running 32 bit).

For your interest I run one 9400GT water cooled, it is reported to run between 39 and 42 degrees (this is a less observed one) The 8500GT is also water cooled and runs 39 degrees, I note playing 1080i it jumps to 45 degrees, and jumps back to 39 almost immediately following stopping play. With these cards I doubt that temperature could be a cause of instability. Another 9400GT running on passive air seems to behave much the same.

Finally it is mainly Live TV that is the issue for me, however because the condition generally takes hours to occur I can't conclude that files are not effected, other than noting they may avoid exhibiting the issue as files are generally not long enough!

I might setup some longer movies to play and see what happens if that would help?
Dragorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 06:51 PM   #40
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Finally it is mainly Live TV that is the issue for me, however because the condition generally takes hours to occur I can't conclude that files are not effected, other than noting they may avoid exhibiting the issue as files are generally not long enough!
I recorded ~seven hours of HD content from DVB to harddisk. If I play them using mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau (without using DVB), playback finishes without problems.
If I tune to any channel using gnutv or szap -p, and start playing any recording from harddisk (or /dev/devb/adapter0/dvr0), I get pre-emptions after less than one hour, even without hardware accelerated decoding (only using vo vdpau).
I will try to buy another DVB card to continue testing.

I can only test that system occasionally (and less easily in the cold season), but I will post updates in this thread, Carl Eugen
Old 10-22-09, 03:59 AM   #41
Dragorep

Carl, is that with 190.3x or 190.4x or earlier?
Old 10-22-09, 05:45 AM   #42
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Carl, is that with 190.3x or 190.4x or earlier?
I tested 190.32 (and I can confirm that it was much worse with earlier versions).

Carl Eugen

Last edited by cehoyos; 10-22-09 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Fix driver version
Old 10-22-09, 06:01 AM   #43
Dragorep

I've not caught that error with 190.xx yet on a "stable" motherboard using an Intel CPU.

What definition material are you playing? 576i, 720p or 1080i? (or?) I can test with any of these, might as well match yours FWIW.
Old 10-22-09, 06:46 AM   #44
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
I found I no longer got the pre-emption error message using the 190.x drivers however I still get fatal video errors (190.40) after playing live TV it seems that it only happens after > an hour playing.
So what are "fatal video errors"?
Do I understand correctly that you do not see any pre-emptions with current drivers?

Carl Eugen

Old 10-22-09, 06:47 AM   #45
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
What definition material are you playing? 576i, 720p or 1080i?
I can reproduce pre-emptions with all these resolutions.

Carl Eugen
Old 10-22-09, 02:32 PM   #46
Dragorep

Carl
See http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2108690
I'll keep trapping for errors on Live TV to be sure however it is suggested my errors are now arising in mythtv and not the nvidia drivers....
Old 10-23-09, 01:40 PM   #47
Stephen Warren

Carl, Dragorep & any others,

You both mentioned that you get preemptions when recording from DVB at the same time as using VDPAU. Do the DVB recordings get corrupted at all when this happens, or does there appear to be no problem at all on the DVB recording side?
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 02:18 PM   #48
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
You both mentioned that you get preemptions when recording from DVB at the same time as using VDPAU. Do the DVB recordings get corrupted at all when this happens, or does there appear to be no problem at all on the DVB recording side?
The recordings that originally triggered pre-emptions appear to have no problems (=They play with software decoding and VDPAU accelerated decoding without artefacts or libavcodec warnings).

Carl Eugen