Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-22-09, 11:38 AM   #37
ViN86

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Depends on what subject you're bringing in to the table... if we're talking about gaming, no matter how much evolution does the Linux kernel suffers, KMS, GNOME 3, KDE4, PulseAudio, you name it... means (unfortunately) nothing as practically all games are for Windows, unless you're a quake3 addict, in that case you'll find your heaven there

It's quite sad, because I would prefer to use Linux rather than Windows, but... reality is reality
I can agree with that. I like the control over the OS Linux offers. But if you play games, Windows is where you must be.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:13 PM   #38
Sean_W

Not really. I see a lot of you have a console as well, and Windows is left lagging in regard to gaming now days. It's all about consoles now days.

I prefer to game on the PC but if you want Linux as a OS, you're not going to lose much having a console.

Windows 7 brings nothing to the table for us gamers and longer waiting times for games, which usually come out on the consoles first.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:24 PM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

first official win7 update on windows update

The kinds of problems that are resolved by application compatibility updates
When you try to install and run certain legacy games or applications in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
The game, the application, or the firmware is installed incorrectly.
The game, the application, or the firmware causes system instability.
The primary functions of the game, the application, or the firmware do not work correctly.
Back to the top
Applications that experience a change in behavior after you install this update
The following table shows the applications that were added to the cumulative update package. This table also shows the behavior of the application after you install the update.

Application compatibility updates trigger several changes in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. The following are the three most common:
Hard block
The update puts a hard block on the application. A hard block prevents an application that is incompatible with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 from running on the system.
Note Microsoft enables Windows to put a hard block on a non-Microsoft application only if the manufacturer of the application gives its consent.
Soft block
The update puts a soft block on the application. A soft block notifies you when an application that is incompatible with Windows 7 starts to run.
Update
The update improves the application’s functionality in Windows 7.
Back to the top
Applications that are included in the August 2009 update
Collapse this tableExpand this tableApplication Behavior after you install the update
Alcohol 52% Update enables Windows 7 compatible Alcohol 52% versions to work
Altiris and Symantec Virtual Software up to version 6.1.499.x Upgrade Block to avoid errors during Windows upgrade
ZoomText version 9.18 Driver hard Block to prevent an error
Dell Printer Driver (Models-V105, V305 and V505) Upgrade Block to avoid setup failure
Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 Upgrade Block to avoid error during Windows upgrade
Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 Upgrade Block to avoid error during Windows upgrade
Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 Upgrade Block to avoid error during Windows upgrade
YiDongFeiXin version 2.2.x and version 3.5.x Enables application to work
PGP Desktop up to version 9.x Soft Block to warn about possible issue after Windows upgrade
Trend Micro VirusBuster 2008 Upgrade Block to avoid errors
Windows Live Photo Gallery Update Windows Live Photo Gallery to avoid file association issue with Windows Media Player OCX

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/KB/974332
Old 09-22-09, 01:30 PM   #40
Sean_W

No language pack for en_gb, which is just poor by Microsoft.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:37 PM   #41
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

Alot of people are on 7 now i see.

So what other ways did you guys get 7 besides MSDN and i know not everyone has an MSDN account cuz its not that easy to get one and you have to be a tech or admin to get one.

Got mine through an OEM system that was scrapped and cd was used and works fine.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 09-22-09, 07:45 PM   #42
hell_of_doom227

Windows Vista was pretty good OS and i think it's great OS but it will die fairly quickly.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 08:18 PM   #43
ATi
RooR

how many of you guys got the upgrade?is it simple as this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATi View Post
install a fresh copy of vista 64 home premium
install windows7 upgrade
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 04:19 PM   #44
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Am currently installing Win 7 Enterprise RTM x64 on my notebook, moving from current x86 build
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-09, 03:25 AM   #45
CaptNKILL
CUBE

This isn't a bad price for Windows 7 Professional...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

... but I'm reading through this and there are some things that seem insane to me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature...from_Windows_7
Quote:
* The Share overlay icon for shared items in Explorer has been removed. [7]
* It is not possible to set Windows Explorer to remember individual window size and position. Each window shares the same size, and their position cascades as more windows are opened.
* Dotted lines that connect folders and subfolders do not appear as the option to turn off simple folder view is missing. [8][9]
* The size of any selected item and free disk space are not shown on the status bar.
* When no items are selected in a folder, neither the details pane nor the status bar show the total size of files in the folder.
* The location (zone) where the files reside such as Intranet, Computer etc is not shown in the status bar.
* Icons on the command bar in Windows Explorer and common application dialogs for Open/Save.
* Disabling Auto Arrange and Align to Grid is not available in Windows Explorer windows. [10]
* The Sort bar that appears for any view in Windows Vista only appears for Details view. [11]
* Automatic horizontal scrolling in the left pane and the horizontal scrollbar.
* The Arrange By/Stack By option is only available for libraries and folders included in libraries. In addition, users can only Stack By predefined categories depending on the library type. For example, users can only Stack By Folder, Album, Artist, Song, Genre, and Rating for the Music library, whereas in Vista, users could Stack By any properties that exist for a file (common examples would be bit rate, year, composer, play count ..etc for audio files)

Are they trying to piss off people who actually use their operating system to work with files? I thought Vista screwed things up by making it more complicated to do basic things like sort a folder full of files (especially music) by the date the file was created or modified...

This just takes the cake.

I'll definitely have to use Windows 7 extensively before I even think of buying it. These changes are just ridiculous IMO.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 03:49 AM   #46
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
It is not possible to set Windows Explorer to remember individual window size and position. Each window shares the same size, and their position cascades as more windows are opened.
That's not true at all; windows 7 remembers the size of the windows and position.
Old 09-29-09, 04:33 AM   #47
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
No language pack for en_gb, which is just poor by Microsoft.
Is it your mission in life to split hairs about software that technically isn't even released yet? Honestly grow up. I think everybody in this forum has made it abundantly clear by now that they really don't care what your opinion about Microsoft is, and it's about time you realize that and either go sod off or go run in front of a bus.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 04:36 AM   #48
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I am really happy with Windows 7. I've never had an O/S that would fully configure all of my hardware right off the bat. Not only that, it is graphically better than anything that I've used in the past.

Good job, MS!
I was somewhat amazed that not only did my sound work very shortly after windows booted, but it also automatically configured it to use s/pdif. I don't even know how the hell it even detected I use s/pdif to begin with (didn't know it was physically possible to do so,) but it did anyways. Never seen even one OS that just works with my sound setup without any configuration until now.

More impressive yet is that I was able to update all of my drivers (video card, sound card, etc) without a single reboot. Not even linux has the necessary driver architecture to do that these days. Granted the whole scheme where the drivers operate in user mode is something they started with vista, it is improved as hell with windows 7.

I like the way they've redone the taskbar as well. I got my copy of win 7 via the developers conference, and they went into details about how you can tell what the status of the program you are waiting on is without having to bring it forward (provided the programmers take advantage of the api, which microsoft has made very easy to do in the latest versions of its compilers.) Really looking forward to programs that will use it.

That and they finally did away with the quick launch (never did like it) and radically improved how the system tray is handled. Finally an OS that gives you a task bar that manages to be very useful (unlike OSX) while at the same time not being very clunky (e.g. gnome, kde.)
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote