Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-29-09, 06:14 AM   #49
Sean_W

Default Re: Windows 7

Yep, I've noticed quiet a few annoying things with Windows 7 which are almost bugs(maybe they are?). The window management is awful and so is scrolling and typing focus.

I wish it would allow what Linux Desktop Environments do(or Xorg). You can scroll a another window's page just by rolling the wheel, without giving it focus.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 06:19 AM   #50
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Is it your mission in life to split hairs about software that technically isn't even released yet? Honestly grow up. I think everybody in this forum has made it abundantly clear by now that they really don't care what your opinion about Microsoft is, and it's about time you realize that and either go sod off or go run in front of a bus.
Not a very nice person are you? So it makes me a Microsoft hater because they don't have a en_gb language pack for my country?

You seriously have a problem man seeing hate in my words. Why don't you just chill and take a holiday?
Old 09-29-09, 07:10 AM   #51
wysiwyg

did you buy ur pc pre-built?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 07:14 AM   #52
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
did you buy ur pc pre-built?
If that question was aimed at me, then I build my own.
Old 09-29-09, 07:38 AM   #53
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
No language pack for en_gb, which is just poor by Microsoft.
Don't most language packs get released with the official release (ie in October)?

I think it was that way with Vista as well.

Also, what's the difference between en_gb and en_us? It can't be that large...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 07:58 AM   #54
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Don't most language packs get released with the official release (ie in October)?

I think it was that way with Vista as well.

Also, what's the difference between en_gb and en_us? It can't be that large...
Well, considering British English is largely used throughout the world, you think it would be in amongst the 31 other extra language packs.

British English spells words like color>colour. American spelling tends to remove the U in words, 'neighbours' being another example.

Translations should be all done and they are because the packs are on Windows Update, but no en_gb.
Old 09-29-09, 08:02 AM   #55
wysiwyg

wait for the proper release date, im sure your copy will have GB language pack as an update
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 08:04 AM   #56
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well, considering British English is largely used throughout the world, you think it would be in amongst the 31 other extra language packs.

British English spells words like color>colour. American spelling tends to remove the U in words, 'neighbours' being another example.

Translations should be all done and they are because the packs are on Windows Update, but no en_gb.
Hmm, seems like it would be easy enough to add.

It's funny cause they have Portuguese (Brazil) and Portuguese (Portugal). Their differences must be more dramatic...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-09, 08:11 AM   #57
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
wait for the proper release date, im sure your copy will have GB language pack as an update
Nope, we have to pay extra for a en_gb version. The Windows versions that get shipped to the UK are American language by default, same for Microsoft Office(only you can switch the spell checking language for that).

At least NVIDIA ship en_gb international for their driver panel, it's a bigger download though(141mb).
Old 09-29-09, 08:37 AM   #58
ATi
RooR

en_gb says "Welcome to Windows7 Clot"
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 12:03 PM   #59
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
I was somewhat amazed that not only did my sound work very shortly after windows booted, but it also automatically configured it to use s/pdif. I don't even know how the hell it even detected I use s/pdif to begin with (didn't know it was physically possible to do so,) but it did anyways. Never seen even one OS that just works with my sound setup without any configuration until now.

More impressive yet is that I was able to update all of my drivers (video card, sound card, etc) without a single reboot. Not even linux has the necessary driver architecture to do that these days. Granted the whole scheme where the drivers operate in user mode is something they started with vista, it is improved as hell with windows 7.

I like the way they've redone the taskbar as well. I got my copy of win 7 via the developers conference, and they went into details about how you can tell what the status of the program you are waiting on is without having to bring it forward (provided the programmers take advantage of the api, which microsoft has made very easy to do in the latest versions of its compilers.) Really looking forward to programs that will use it.

That and they finally did away with the quick launch (never did like it) and radically improved how the system tray is handled. Finally an OS that gives you a task bar that manages to be very useful (unlike OSX) while at the same time not being very clunky (e.g. gnome, kde.)
Wait, they got rid of quick launch too?

I put my drive shortcuts there so I have quick access to them no matter what I have open. I've been doing that for 7-8 years.

This is just getting funny.

Is there some other way to attach shortcuts to the taskbar?
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 12:24 PM   #60
agentkay

Yes you can attach shortcuts to the taskbar and they will function like the quicklaunch icons in the previous O.S., with the exception that it automatically sorts and groups windows of the same programs. When you move your mouse over such a "group", it will show you the windows in thumbnail form.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote