Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-09, 01:42 PM   #1
simcop2388

Default "flatpanel" TV that lies about it's native resolution.

I've got a TV hooked up over a DVI->HDMI cable and the TV is currently lying to the drivers about its native resolution. The TV claims that the native resolution is 640x480 when it is in fact 1280x720. I've been able to get video working at 720p by adding my own modeline to the xorg.conf, BUT i'd also like to be able to get the drivers to recognize the correct native resolution by force so that i can have the GPU scale other resolutions that fit, but aren't part of the ATSC standard, to 720p so that i can play a normal computer game at 800x600 or some other normal resolution.

Is there any option to tell the card what the native resolution of the screen is?
simcop2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 11:11 PM   #2
ScottKnight

Default Re: "flatpanel" TV that lies about it's native resolution.

I don't have an answer to your question, but wonder if you have tried to obtain the EDID data for the panel? The panel might very well be providing bad EDID, which could easily be fixed by trying to find a correct dump and just using it from the disk.

When I was mucking around with my Mac Mini as a MythTV frontend, I hooked it up to an older Philips 32" flat panel that I had been having problems with. Boom, instant perfect resolution and an EDID dump that I could use to beat some of the less friendly combinations into submission with.
Old 09-29-09, 02:58 PM   #3
simcop2388

that's not a bad suggestion i'll have to get a dump of it later this evening and check that out, any idea how easy it is to find some valid generic ones? (i can always look up the standard and make my own, but if someone's made some nice generic ones it'd be faster)
simcop2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 04:09 AM   #4
jpterj

I am not sure if this is relevant for TVs, but when it comes to PC LCD screens I have seen many that reports correct EDID information via VGA but incorrect via DVI.

If the TV has a VGA connector you could connect the PC to that to see if it works any better. If so you could dump the EDID to disk and use that when connecting via DVI->HDMI.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 07:48 AM   #5
petohl

I had same problem. Solution: use VGA cable. Then is picture correct.
petohl is offline   Reply With Quote