Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-22-09, 12:43 AM   #1
cyberf0x

Default Is NVIDIA going to release a working driver before christmas?

... christmas this year of course.

Just asking

Btw the flickering bug started somwhere arounf Feb 2008 so few more months and I'm going to sing happy birthday to this bug

best regards
cyberf0x
cyberf0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 03:06 AM   #2
slanbarn

Default Re: Is NVIDIA going to release a working driver before christmas?

Well, for me I have had a stable and reliable experiance with nVIDIAs driver for a few christmasses back...

I have a GF 9800GT and *everything* works great! VDPAU puts CPU% for 1080p materials at about 6% no flickering(the thing I use the most in the drivers!)... 3d-acc works great, however I dont use compiz or the such in daily use... Dont play much games, but I know 3d-games like UT etc works great! I have multiple monitors, but use seperate X-screens, so havent tried TwinWiev, but wouldnt think there is any problems...

Whats not working for you?
slanbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 03:27 AM   #3
cyberf0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanbarn View Post
Well, for me I have had a stable and reliable experiance with nVIDIAs driver for a few christmasses back...

I have a GF 9800GT and *everything* works great! VDPAU puts CPU% for 1080p materials at about 6% no flickering(the thing I use the most in the drivers!)... 3d-acc works great, however I dont use compiz or the such in daily use... Dont play much games, but I know 3d-games like UT etc works great! I have multiple monitors, but use seperate X-screens, so havent tried TwinWiev, but wouldnt think there is any problems...

Whats not working for you?
Well, right now i'm starting up KDE, then kopete, then aqualung, then firefox and BOOM, flicker and garbage aroung the screen . From this point any app that changes something on the screen (even the app itself) is causing flicker, even the damn changing seconds in kde clock make the screen flicker . A year has passed and i'm still uanble to do some real work under linux. Not so long ago toshiba updated their official driver for vista/7 to 186.xx and it's working perfectly fine. Here it's all flicker, screen garbage. Tried to use 185.xx, 19x. The flicker is gone and now there are segfaults and hungups. In exactly same manner as it was with flicker. Even right now as i'm typing the damn firefox flickers and some of the parts of screen are changed to garbage. I started few threads but no real answer from devs.
I know that bugtracking takes time, but if you count starting from Feb 2008, I can tell that I was still patient around Feb this year, but right now I'm really pissed off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	38243  
Old 09-22-09, 05:52 AM   #4
slanbarn

Yeah I see the problem, and if I had the same, I would be pissed of to...
slanbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 07:15 AM   #5
augegr

Try adding
Quote:
Option "RegistryDwords" "PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
in the Device section of you xorg.conf file.

That worked for me using Archlinux 64bit on an Intel Quad Core machine with nVidia GTX260 GPU.

No more hangs during fullscreen video or opengl utilization.
augegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 04:00 PM   #6
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

I still have the graphics corruption problem from a 32 bit Xine on a 64 bit X11 server that was introduced in 18x.x. It goes away by installing 177.x, which is what I do. I posted about this without comment from the developers.

I would very much not have to throw away my 32 bit Xine chain, there's a lot of work in there and it is shared with other hosts and although I understand that ffmpeg handles a lot more formats these days I like having the win32 codecs around - specifically because things Just Work Now(tm) ...

.. except it blocks me from 18x.x which long-term blocks me from kernel updates.

My Unix benchmark results

Last edited by uOpt; 09-22-09 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Be nice.
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 06:46 PM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

uOpt, I must have missed your thread, sorry. Are you talking about this one? http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135207

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem when I get a moment. 180.* is when we first disabled SHM pixmaps, so it's possible that it triggered a bug in Xine's non-SHM pixmap handling. Could you please try setting Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" in xorg.conf? cyberf0x, that applies for your issue too, I think.

Last edited by AaronP; 09-23-09 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Fix typo (AllowSHMPixmaps has an 's' at the end)
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 06:50 PM   #8
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
uOpt, I must have missed your thread, sorry. Are you talking about this one? http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135207

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem when I get a moment. 180.* is when we first disabled SHM pixmaps, so it's possible that it triggered a bug in Xine's non-SHM pixmap handling. Could you please try setting Option "AllowSHMPixmap" in xorg.conf? cyberf0x, that applies for your issue too, I think.
Thanks, Aaron. Yes, that's the thread. I'll try this and report back.

One question: if Xine's non-SHM pixmap handling is broken, would a remote display (through a SSH forward to a different display) necessarily also be broken?

Old 09-22-09, 07:19 PM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

No, not necessarily. There are three different cases here:
  1. MIT-SHM shared memory pixmaps

In this case, the client has a mapping of the same pixel data that the driver uses for the pixmap's contents. This forces the pixmap to remain in system memory but allows clients to update their contents asynchronously from the X server, behind the driver's back.

2. MIT-SHM SHMPutImage requests

Here, the server and client share a system memory buffer, but that buffer is not also the pixmap's contents. The client fills this buffer and then sends a SHMPutImage request, which tells the server to copy the contents of that buffer into the real pixmap memory (which might be in vidmem).

3. Core X11 protocol PutImage requests

A traditional PutImage request requires the client to pack the image contents into the X protocol buffer as part of the request.
#1 is what we disabled: it makes things slow because it locks pixmaps in system memory. #2 is what I suspect might be buggy in Xine. When you're doing remote display, neither #1 nor #2 is possible because the client and the server cannot share memory. This forces Xine to go through path #3. All three of these require separate code paths from the client.
Old 09-23-09, 05:46 AM   #10
cyberf0x

Quote:
Could you please try setting Option "AllowSHMPixmap" in xorg.conf?
Holy crap... at least the interface stopped flickering. Now we're getting somewhere.

Few more things to solve:

a) what's with 185.xx / 190.xx hangups/segfaults?
For ex. playing supertuxkart. Right now (180.60) it's outputting Xid errors as usual and flickering, there are some glitches too. 185.xx reaction is a hang up for first Xid error.
Code:
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0004 00000000 00008297 000015e0 404035f0 0000000c
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0004 00000000 00008297 000015e0 404035f0 0000000c
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0004 00000000 00008297 000015e0 409c35f0 0000000c
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 6, PE0004 
b) what's the status for driver<->PAT/MSI/MSI-X? Is it working actually? Is the Workaround broken graphics drivers / dma remapping affecting the driver somehow while turned on? Should it be off?
Old 09-23-09, 09:28 PM   #11
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem when I get a moment. 180.* is when we first disabled SHM pixmaps, so it's possible that it triggered a bug in Xine's non-SHM pixmap handling. Could you please try setting Option "AllowSHMPixmap" in xorg.conf? cyberf0x, that applies for your issue too, I think.
Hmm, that's a serverflags option, right? NVidia device entries say they ignore it.

I still have the problem with
Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AllowSHMPixmap" "1"
I found that a chrooted 32-bit xine (in a 32 bit chroot) works correctly, it is just the one compiled into /usr/local32 that doesn't work right with 18x.x and 19x.x, just with 17x.x.

Old 09-23-09, 10:12 PM   #12
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

No, see ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...llowSHMPixmaps

It's a driver option, so it goes in the Device or Screen sections. Also it's AllowSHMPixmaps, not AllowSHMPixmap. I typo'd it in my earlier message.