Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-03, 03:36 PM   #73
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
So now, in addition to another news system, we need a Roundup Generator?

Actually wouldn't be too complicated...
Yep, and an Existing Roundup Updater complete with custom posted identification and optional timestamper.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a heck of a lot of code to do the generator part really. It all just boils down to a single column table with three varieties of rows: header, bullet list and layout spacer. You'd just have an interface to allow for n-number of headers, bullet list for each header and the spacer row would just be under the hood.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-03, 03:46 PM   #74
MikeC
Administrator

Man with all this bragging I'm afraid MUYA's going to leave us for CNN or CBS. MUYA buddy did I mention our 401k plan? Hey guys remember I've got to use it to. I can't take complicated unless JuiceZ is here. Is he back or did Max get him knocked off at MML2.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-03, 03:57 PM   #75
Clay

Oooh, yeah...now that you mention it I haven't heard anything from JuiceZ. *enter climatic soundtrack*.

Old 06-29-03, 04:11 PM   #76
MikeC
Administrator

I heard ATI.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-03, 04:35 PM   #77
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I'm sure I heard a mention of the Bitboyz somewhere
Old 06-29-03, 04:40 PM   #78
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

Default Re: Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
I couldn't agree more. Like Vamp suggests, I want to see us making the traditional news posts for spicy NVIDIA news/reviews, really cool news and anything else that merits commentary.

The roundups really help to make us (as news posters) more efficient. Now I don't feel obligated to regurgitate some trite, overused intro comment before every news item I come across. To be honest, that alone has kept me from bothering to make a post or not. Good or bad, the fact is I usually don't have a heck of lot of time to post each day so the last thing I want to do is to *introduce* the news post. It's more an issue of my wanting to come up with something worth reading for the user, or something funny, interesting, etc...and 9 times out of 10 I just don't have it.

I'm more and more confident that the combination of traditional and roundup styles will be a nice improvement for the site.
In other words, you seek to entertain your people. I find that just keeping things fresh for a news poster's self if very important. Keeps you from getting too dull. It sucks when there isn't much to post on though. Makes the good points of news more interesting though. You all are doing a great job. Somebody needs to feed MUYA a Scooby snack though, before he runs out of steam.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-03, 08:20 PM   #79
Clay

Default Re: Re: Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally posted by Quinn1981
In other words, you seek to entertain your people. I find that just keeping things fresh for a news poster's self if very important. Keeps you from getting too dull. It sucks when there isn't much to post on though. Makes the good points of news more interesting though. You all are doing a great job. Somebody needs to feed MUYA a Scooby snack though, before he runs out of steam.
Very true, when there isn't much news you can really separate the wheat from the chaff though (since it's all chaff)

*MaxPower just tossed a Scooby snack across the pond, desert and mountains for MUYA but Mr. Fibble came out of nowhere and snagged it*
Old 06-30-03, 04:34 AM   #80
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: Re: Re: Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Very true, when there isn't much news you can really separate the wheat from the chaff though (since it's all chaff)

*MaxPower just tossed a Scooby snack ....*
Scooby snack??? Pah! Guys send me a Donner kabab on pita bread with loads of chilli sauce!!!! Well Vamps and those in the UK will know what i am on about! Oh yeah don't forget a pint of Guinness or Murphies...I am not fussy!

MUYA
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-03, 04:38 AM   #81
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
did I mention our 401k plan?
Excuse my ignorance here, but erm...what is 401k plan? :P Hehehe, my knowledge is limited to what i see on sports roundups in CNN and BBC world and sports channels. yeah Rassling counts too! I don't have time for real world news..just sports news!

MUYA
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-03, 07:12 AM   #82
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally posted by MUYA
Scooby snack??? Pah! Guys send me a Donner kabab on pita bread with loads of chilli sauce!!!! Well Vamps and those in the UK will know what i am on about! Oh yeah don't forget a pint of Guinness or Murphies...I am not fussy!

MUYA
You just cannot beat a nice Kebab when you are drunk

As for entertainment, just read my mini rants that I end up doing everynow and again
Old 06-30-03, 09:56 AM   #83
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by MUYA
Excuse my ignorance here, but erm...what is 401k plan? :P Hehehe, my knowledge is limited to what i see on sports roundups in CNN and BBC world and sports channels. yeah Rassling counts too! I don't have time for real world news..just sports news!

MUYA
A 401k is a financial plan that can help you in your retirement. It's based on the stock market I think. It's kind of like a gift to hard working employees for retirement.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-03, 05:22 PM   #84
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

I actually like the AM and PM roundups ... I would prefer that over the updates ... I can't figure out what's been updated (i know you write games, mainboard, etc) but if there was already stuff in there I dont really remember it ...

just keep it simple ... 2 roundups a day isn't exactly overkill.

- mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote