Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-09, 11:14 PM   #1
Sweetz

Default Got Chaos Theory HDR + AA working!

I'm playing through Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the first time (picked it up now that it's on Steam) and after playing around a bit I got HDR + AA working.

I used the AA compatibility mode for Mass Effect. I don't know if this is an option in nHancer, I don't use it since I know how to edit the profiles directly in the registry. The aa_feature_bits value in nvapps.xml is: 0x080100C5 (in the registry the value is c5 00 01 08 due to little endianess). Note that Mass Effect's AA compability value is slighty different from the generic UE3 value which is usually 0x000100C5.

This is on the 186.82 drivers, but I imagine it should work fine on other versions.

2 x 2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
Creative X-FI Titanium
Corsair 620HX PSU
Win7 Home Premium x64
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 11:48 PM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Got Chaos Theory HDR + AA working!

In nHancer it just has multiple AA profiles for UE3 and other such things... some are just numbers... I'll see if I can figure out which one correspons to what you posted.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 12:15 AM   #3
Sweetz

Cool. I should say that I am assuming HDR is still working - e.g. I'm presuming forcing AA through the drivers isn't somehow preventing the HDR from actually working. HDR is still selected in the game's options and the game's lighting doesn't look any different. However, admittedly, I'm not sure I could tell if HDR was actually on or not. I haven't tried the game with it turned off, so I don't know if there's an immediately obvious visual difference.

---edit---

After comparing, HDR definitely IS working; there is a noticable difference. Funnily enough, the aa_compatibility mode makes AA not work with HDR turned off, so you can also see from the differences that both HDR and AA are definitely working. Thank you Mass Effect!

HDR off (and no AA):

HDR on (I only have 4xAA on, so some edges are still a wee bit jagged, but you can still tell it's on):

PS I just wrote a little a guide on how to change AA compatibility modes without nHancer since I went though the process for this game.
2 x 2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
Creative X-FI Titanium
Corsair 620HX PSU
Win7 Home Premium x64

Last edited by Sweetz; 10-29-09 at 01:51 AM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 12:23 AM   #4
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

With most games a lack of HDR is readily apparent, but this one is more of a minimal impact. It only effects how light shines off metal and some other minor things. I would bet it's working though, the AA force just wouldn't take in my tests, HDR always was unaffected.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote