Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-09, 05:52 AM   #1
basvanschaik

Default Problems with 190.36 nvidia-settings (drivers work fine)

Hi all,

I've downloaded the new 190.36 drivers and the corresponding nvidia-settings sources. The drivers seem to work fine, nothing unexpected has happened (yet).

However, I've encountered three problems with the nvidia-settings application:

1. It fails to compile on my 64-bit Ubunty Jaunty setup:
Code:
/usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `src/libXNVCtrl/libXNVCtrl.a(NVCtrl.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [nvidia-settings] Error 1
It seems like src/libXVNCCtrl contains some precompiled code for i386. Running 'make' in that specific directory, followed by a new 'make' in the top-level directory solves the problem. Probably something's wrong with the top-level Makefile?

2. When saving a configuration file from nvidia-settings, fan and overclocking (or underclocking, in my case) settings are not stored in .nvidia-settings-rc.

3. Manually adding the settings for clock frequencies works:
Code:
0/GPUOverclockingState=1
0/GPU2DClockFreqs=300,400
0/GPU3DClockFreqs=300,400
But manually adding settings for fan speed are not accepted by nvidia-settings:
Code:
0/GPUFanControlState=1
0/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=100
I've looked up these constants from parse.c, but nvidia-settings complains (with --verbose=all):
Code:
WARNING: Attribute 'GPUFanControlState' specified on line 60 of configuration file '.nvidia-settings-rc' is not available on dragon:0.0.
WARNING: Attribute 'GPUCurrentFanSpeed' specified on line 61 of configuration file '.nvidia-settings-rc' is not available on dragon:0.0.
This makes it impossible to configure the fan speed in my .xinitrc automatically. Also, I have to cautious when starting the GUI of nvidia-setings, because it will remove the settings for GPU clock frequencies from my .nvidia-settings-rc.
basvanschaik is offline   Reply With Quote