Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-11, 06:10 PM   #1
JohnDio

Default Mirror’s Edge 2 might end up way different than its predecessor

Mirror’s Edge 2 might end up way different than its predecessor

Quote:
We are really worried about Faith’s new adventures that might take place in the sequel of one of the most innovative first person games. Mirror’s Edge was great and we really loved Faith’s parkour abilities. The fact that you couldn’t use most of the guns added a lot to the overall feeling. And we don’t mind if there won’t be a sequel for it. We do mind though if a streamlined sequel comes out.
According to EA’s Games label chief Frank Gibeau, they’re just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror’s Edge back and in what way as that’s part of the creative development process. “What we said internally is: ‘What do we need to do to make [a sequel] a hit?’ We need to go from version one to version two so that it sells two to three times as many, it finds a much bigger audience. The first game from a quality standpoint was good, but now it needs to be great.” said Frank and continued.

“We’re actively working on ideas in the Mirror’s Edge universe, we just haven’t locked yet on a way to bring it back and a way that fans will be excited, but at the same time we can get it to a bigger audience.”

What worries us is the way Frank thinks about the sequel. He specifically said that they need to go to a version that sells two to three times as many. To cater to a bigger audience. To be streamlined. This may literally destroy Mirror’s Edge as we know it. EA may dumb down the game or add some funky features to attract new audience. We can think a lot of games that have fallen into this trap. It’s only natural for a company to want to make more money, but for God’s sake. This is not the way you should be thinking about developing a sequel.

Take for example Unreal Tournament 3, Deus Ex: Invisible War or even Crysis 2. Those games were streamlined to cater to bigger audience and their fanbase was unhappy with that decision. We don’t know yet about Crysis 2, but all of previous games that tried the same thing have failed; whether they were called Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Deus Ex or Command & Conquer. We just hope that EA will not destroy one of the most innovative games we’ve had in the past few years.
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:12 PM   #2
mojoman0

Default Re: Mirror’s Edge 2 might end up way different than its predecessor

I wonder if Dice will make it or another EA dev
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:15 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Last I heard they scrapped ME2.
Old 03-02-11, 11:54 PM   #4
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

I really liked the original Mirror's Edge. It was very well paced, had great action, incredibly vivid graphics that still look amazing today, and most importantly, IT WAS DIFFERENT!!!

Seriously, EA, if you screw this up, I won't buy BF3 just to spite you. I liked Mirror's Edge. If you don't give us something that is just as good or better, I won't be buying any more big titles from you.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 05:06 AM   #5
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I dunno if it will be EA screwing it up or DICE themselves. I read in a mag here they were never really happy with the game, especially the combat. I liked the first game, and I hope combat is the only thing they tweak.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 05:20 AM   #6
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I dunno if it will be EA screwing it up or DICE themselves. I read in a mag here they were never really happy with the game, especially the combat. I liked the first game, and I hope combat is the only thing they tweak.
This. Mirror's Edge is one of those little masterpieces just in need of some polish, nothing more. Any other kind of change leads to... erm... Call of Duty, so... no, thanks xD

A bit more on the physics side, like explosions and accurate bullet bouncing, better ragdoll physics and a little touch in the story for a bit deeper storyline.

That's what I would like for ME2, so... if EA doesn't like it, it means it's gonna be good!
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 05:21 AM   #7
Vardant

First one sold over million copies, but they need to streamline it and sell three times more. Dragon Age sold over three million copies, but they re-worked it anyway...so where exactly is the line, where the dumbing down stops?
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 05:34 AM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

When the industry crashes again. We might be due for another.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-11, 12:55 PM   #9
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
When the industry crashes again. We might be due for another.
EA are losing money, more and more each year. Activision gobbles them up, may aswell quit gaming altogether.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 01:21 PM   #10
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Thumbs down Re: Mirror’s Edge 2 might end up way different than its predecessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
EA are losing money, more and more each year. Activision gobbles them up, may aswell quit gaming altogether.
Honestly, nothing would please me more than seeing any distributor biting the dust, it's like the music industry... what is EA doing (apart from sucking undeserved money) in a real way?

The ideal situation would be for any studio to do their development without time worries (which could lead to bug-less (or, at least, with far less bugs than we usually find lately) code) or any constraint and then, use Steam to deliver it or any other digital delivery system.

Using a disc is a failure nowadays, and distribution companies ARE 'teh fail' nowadays... so... please god, let them sink ¬¬
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:24 PM   #11
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Last I heard they scrapped ME2.
I heard that too. Maybe it means someone other than DICE. I loved ME, and it was the only single player game I finished last year.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 11:52 AM   #12
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

i never could get into mirrors edge... it looked great but the gameplay style of the game just didn't do it for me.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote