Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-09, 03:18 PM   #145
Arioch

Default Re: Risen

I loved all the ATI cards I have owned in the past but unfortunately I am too addicted to 3-D gaming to ever go back to one even if it was twice as fast as Nvidia's best card.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 04:48 PM   #146
grey_1

Anyone else on Vista64 having trouble launching the game or demo? It's instacrash as soon as I click on the shortcut. Compatibility, running as admin or straight from the exe makes no difference.

I was looking forward to playing this tonight too...
Old 10-04-09, 05:18 PM   #147
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Anyone else on Vista64 having trouble launching the game or demo? It's instacrash as soon as I click on the shortcut. Compatibility, running as admin or straight from the exe makes no difference.

I was looking forward to playing this tonight too...
all required components installed?

DirectX Redist latest
VisualC++ Redist
Physx

etc..
Old 10-04-09, 05:58 PM   #148
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
all required components installed?

DirectX Redist latest
VisualC++ Redist
Physx

etc..
It's probably the Physx.

Figures, I don't have an NV card, but have to install their software for a game.

Thanks nekro
Old 10-04-09, 07:42 PM   #149
wysiwyg

grrr the game powers off my PC instantly as soon as i press GAME on the menu

have tried with a downloaded demo and a steam downloaded demo if that makes sense

have no issues with ANY other game
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 07:59 PM   #150
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
grrr the game powers off my PC instantly as soon as i press GAME on the menu

have tried with a downloaded demo and a steam downloaded demo if that makes sense

have no issues with ANY other game
powers off? what does that mean

it probably is just a blue screen, and you have automatic restart enabled so you don't see it.
Old 10-04-09, 08:00 PM   #151
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
It's probably the Physx.

Figures, I don't have an NV card, but have to install their software for a game.

Thanks nekro
no offense grey, physx is a required software component for a lot of games out there. doesn't mean you have to have nvidia hardware.
Old 10-04-09, 11:52 PM   #152
Bladestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Only if you have a good reason. Having a setup where you list the DRM on the store page, then leaving it off for a new release which has a particular brand of nasty DRM exclusive to the Steam release, is basically fraud, in my opinion.

Good on Steam for refunding me. Hope I can get a disc copy tomorrow.
Good luck finding it retail. I went to Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop today, and none of them had it. I'm thinking of buying it from Direct2Drive, but I've never used their service before. Anyone know if it's any good?
EVGA GTX 580
Palit GTX 580
Creative Titanium HD
Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W
Corsair 650D
Samsung S27A850D
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-09, 12:08 AM   #153
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
Good luck finding it retail. I went to Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop today, and none of them had it. I'm thinking of buying it from Direct2Drive, but I've never used their service before. Anyone know if it's any good?
I don't like D2D because of their activation model and the site just seems poorly designed, but others like Magus love it.

I didn't search for Risen today, I guess if no one has it I will have to go to amazon. It would suck to wait that long, but honestly I have a ton of stuff to play right now.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 12:35 AM   #154
pakotlar

This game is awesome. Feels a lot like Morrowind but a bit more fast paced, a little more linear, but not in a heavy handed way. The combat is faster paced, and although it isn't an incredible fighting system or anything, compared to more roll-rule heavy games like Morrowind it doesn't draw you out of the experience. Personally I think when there is a lot of emphasis on the combat system other elements suffer. I'm a big fan of exploration and immersion in RPG's; combat is definetely secondary (as long as it isn't as frustrating whiffle ball bat as early level Morrowind are).

Running 2x AA/MSTSAA on a i7/gtx 285 and at 1680*1050 so far it feels right around 50-60fps. At 1920 it feels closer to 30-40. And SSTSAA gives a noticeable drop in performance. Finally with the DOF system they implement, aliasing on foliage isn't nearly as bad as in Crysis, Oblivion or other foliage heavy games. 2x MSTSAA is good enough for me here. The lighting is good, although noticeably worse than crysis (but probably 2nd behind it). But it also runs 2x as fast so I guess I can't complain. The ambient occlusion model is fantastic up close, but the AO LOD transitions can sometimes be abrupt. The DOF hides a lot of the foliage LOD transitions, which is actually really nice.

Overall so far (only an hour or so in) it's the most immersing, interesting RPG i've played since Morrowind. As if you can't tell by my Morrow-gasm's above, Morrowind is my all time favorite game. I haven't played any of the Gothics though. Oblivion I hated for most of the same reasons everyone else did, and I thought Fallout was pretty boring.

So far the story is cool, and the intro to the game is awesome. I'm digging the whole Gods/Titans vs Man & (vs?) the Church theme. You're definetel playing the underdog here
Old 10-05-09, 12:44 AM   #155
pakotlar

Quote:
I've heard good and bad about D2D, but people I know use it without complaints. One thing to consider is Risen is only $40 on D2D.
Old 10-05-09, 02:12 AM   #156
Arioch

Quote:
Retail stores are supposed to have it on the 6th. I am waiting for my copy from Newegg but I still need to finish Gothic 3 and the expansion so I am in no rush.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote