nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
it means all the power goes off on my pc then it starts up again no BSOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
That's a BSoD. By default you wont see a Blue Screen as the PC reboots on it's own. Unless... You already disabled Automatic restart?! ::
yap, automatic restart.
Old 10-05-09, 11:29 AM   #170
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
No offense taken, this is what I'm getting. Physx is installed btw.

Browsing around it seems quite a few folks are experiencing crashes...

EDIT: pc is non responsive after I get this except for task manager.
based on the error code seems like a physics crash
Old 10-05-09, 11:31 AM   #171
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Thanks nekro, I'll try working with it later today.
Old 10-05-09, 12:32 PM   #172
JerseySeven

Quote:
Anyone else on Vista64 having trouble launching the game or demo? It's instacrash as soon as I click on the shortcut. Compatibility, running as admin or straight from the exe makes no difference.

I was looking forward to playing this tonight too...
I've been installing all my games into a "Games" folder, not in the default "Program Files (x86)". Not saying that will cure your particular problem, but it seems to lessen UAC headaches in general.

I've been playing Risen (retail DVD version) since Saturday on Vista x64 with no problems (except that I've got a dozen quests started and no idea how to finish any of them).

Using 9.09.0914 PhysX and 186.91 video driver.
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 01:09 PM   #173
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySeven View Post
I've been installing all my games into a "Games" folder, not in the default "Program Files (x86)". Not saying that will cure your particular problem, but it seems to lessen UAC headaches in general.

I've been playing Risen (retail DVD version) since Saturday on Vista x64 with no problems (except that I've got a dozen quests started and no idea how to finish any of them).

Thanks! Mine are all installed to Program files(x86) and I have an ATI card, but I'll hunt up that physx version.

Much appreciated!
Old 10-05-09, 01:23 PM   #174
KrAzYeTy

I cannot get enough of this game. Played all day yesterday and before I knew what was going on it was 2:30 in the morning. Needless to say I am slightly tired at work today. Almost called in sick just so I could play some more but my conscious kicked in.

Just started Chapter 2 before I finally went to bed. This is my GOTY so far, ahead of batman.
KrAzYeTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 02:05 PM   #175
RuneSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
As a happy little guinea pig I installed the new forceware driver 191.07 WHQL which was released today, but suddenly Risen Demo crashed constantly with the error shown above. I then used system restore to recover my previous settings using forceware 186.18 WHQL. Furthermore the program Refresh Rate Patcher 1.0.1 did not work with 191.07 and made it impossible to use 2048x1536 at 85Hz on my Sony F520, but everything worked perfectly going back to the 186.18. And renaming Risen.exe to Gothic3.exe allowed me to use SLI without changing drivers.

But it is sad that Risen has about 25% of the texture resolution shown in Gothic3 in autumn 2006 - take a look at these stunning images from Gothic 3:

Does anyone still think Risen is beautiful and really pushes our high-end video cards with more than 512MB ram?

So Risen has a very bad disease of consolitis, and 3 years after Gothic 3 initial release there is still nothing on this planet as Gothic3 (especially using modified ini-settings to increase draw distance etc. beyond the max. settings in the game menu, Gothic3 shines - and forcing Gothic3 not to use more than 2GB system memory and patch 1.12, the game has been completely stabile on my PC in Vista32). The good thing is that Risen runs at a much higher framerate in the cities than Gothic3 - but then again, Gothic 3 is a work of fine art, while Risen seems made to please the masses (who do not own much horsepower - when Gothic 3 was released, people complained that only those with extremely powerful systems could run the game at maxed out settings)
RuneSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 02:13 PM   #176
DiscipleDOC

Quote:

Same here. I've been doing that ever since I've been playing vid games...
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-09, 03:03 PM   #177
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
That's the exact same crash I experienced with the demo. I can't figure out the problem either.
Quote:
That did it, thanks JerseySeven!

Links in here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...10&postcount=1

Enjoying this demo so far btw. My only complaint is very minor. I liked the distance you could see items in the Witcher. Risen you almost have to be on top of them. Bit of fun so far though.
Old 10-05-09, 05:18 PM   #178
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneSR View Post
As a happy little guinea pig I installed the new forceware driver 191.07 WHQL which was released today, but suddenly Risen Demo crashed constantly with the error shown above. I then used system restore to recover my previous settings using forceware 186.18 WHQL. Furthermore the program Refresh Rate Patcher 1.0.1 did not work with 191.07 and made it impossible to use 2048x1536 at 85Hz on my Sony F520, but everything worked perfectly going back to the 186.18. And renaming Risen.exe to Gothic3.exe allowed me to use SLI without changing drivers.

But it is sad that Risen has about 25% of the texture resolution shown in Gothic3 in autumn 2006 - take a look at these stunning images from Gothic 3:

Does anyone still think Risen is beautiful and really pushes our high-end video cards with more than 512MB ram?

So Risen has a very bad disease of consolitis, and 3 years after Gothic 3 initial release there is still nothing on this planet as Gothic3 (especially using modified ini-settings to increase draw distance etc. beyond the max. settings in the game menu, Gothic3 shines - and forcing Gothic3 not to use more than 2GB system memory and patch 1.12, the game has been completely stabile on my PC in Vista32). The good thing is that Risen runs at a much higher framerate in the cities than Gothic3 - but then again, Gothic 3 is a work of fine art, while Risen seems made to please the masses (who do not own much horsepower - when Gothic 3 was released, people complained that only those with extremely powerful systems could run the game at maxed out settings)
Straight out of the box Risen looks better than Gothic 3 IMO. Gothic 3 also ran like complete **** on every system when it was released and it still doesn't run nearly as well as it should.

Considering the PC version of Risen is light years better than the console version, and wasn't even made by the same company, I don't get where you say it has "consolitis". It's basically Gothic 3 done better in every way.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...RPGs/Practice/
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 06:25 PM   #179
|MaguS|

Interesting thing guys, Direct2Drive has pulled Risen. They no longer are offering it. I can't find it in the RPG section nor with a search. I wonder if its due to Tages...
Old 10-05-09, 06:42 PM   #180
shilk

Quote:
That did it, thanks JerseySeven!

Links in here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...10&postcount=1

Enjoying this demo so far btw. My only complaint is very minor. I liked the distance you could see items in the Witcher. Risen you almost have to be on top of them. Bit of fun so far though.
Some nice tweaks here.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote