Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-09, 03:13 PM   #1
Ginsu Squirrel

Default Horrific System Lockup with VDPAU

I've just set up a mythtv box using vdpau with an an 8400GS PCI. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes I get lots of preemptions but it recovers. But sometimes I get a preemption so bad that it locks up the entire system. Occasionally it'll just be that the frontend process is using 99% cpu and I can still manage to do stuff and eventually kill it, but other times it just locks it up totally. This is the log from the last time it locked everything up. I wasn't able to get the dmesg output, but every other time I've had a preemption, this is the line from dmesg:

NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 6, PE0005

Attached is the nvidia-bug-report and the output from mythfrontend with vdpau debugging enabled.

Oh, and when I get random preemptions, and I replay the same spot in the file, it does not get the preemption.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: log mythfrontend.log (17.1 KB, 89 views)
Ginsu Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 11:29 AM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Horrific System Lockup with VDPAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu Squirrel View Post
Oh, and when I get random preemptions, and I replay the same spot in the file, it does not get the preemption.
That sounds like there's some kind of general system instability; perhaps a flaky or under-powered power-supply, or similar.

Anyway, the nvidia-bug-report you attached appears to have been created before the errors you're seeing occurred, since there aren't any errors in the logs. Can you reproduce the error and then recreate the bug report, so we can get some kind of idea about what happened.

Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 02:04 AM   #3
Ginsu Squirrel

Ok, it just preempted twice in a row, luckily it didn't lock up my system. Here are the logs. As for my power supply, it is 300W and I don't have much going on in the box. 1 hard drive, 1 dvd drive, a PCI qam/atsc tuner, a PCI sound card, and the PCI video card.
Attached Files
File Type: log mythfrontend.log (25.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (30.9 KB, 71 views)
Ginsu Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 11:28 AM   #4
Stephen Warren

The GPU command-stream appears to be getting corrupted. This is happening both for X and VDPAU. This most likely cause is hardware instability, especially since the problem isn't exactly reproducible.

Re: The PSU; PSUs can go bad, even if they're rated at a level that'd otherwise be OK. I notice you have a TV capture card. This probably writes directly to memory (i.e. uses DMA). It's possible that the HW or driver is buggy and is corrupting the GPU command stream. Can you try removing the TV capture card, try the GPU in another machine, try a different GPU in this machine, etc., in order to isolate the issue. Also, please see the sticky posts in this forum regarding stability issues; perhaps there is some useful information there.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote