Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-09, 08:55 AM   #1
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Default 190.36: fried the DVI-D port on 9500GT card

My Myth box has a Sparkle 1GB 9500GT graphics card.

Or rather, *had* such a card until I installed the 190.36 driver package. Now that card no longer works.

I stopped X11, installed the full 190.36 package from Nvidia's FTP site, and then typed "X" to restart the X-server. The screen went blank, and the system became unresponsive.

The DVI-D port on this card no longer functions. The VGA port *sometimes* functions, but I have not yet figured out what makes it work and what makes it fail.

Any suggestions from the Nvidia guys, before I RMA it ?

Meanwhile, the system is alive again, but with an 8400GS card, and the latest 185.* driver.

-ml
mlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 11:48 PM   #2
saboya

Default Re: 190.36: fried the DVI-D port on 9500GT card

Wow this is pretty serious. Can any dev please confirm if this is even possible, or it's just an incredible coincidence? Specially talking about a DVI signal. I'll think again before installing the newest driver when it comes out (like I usually do).
saboya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 04:25 PM   #3
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

Okay, I had time today to try various things with this card, and here's what the status is:

Sparkle 9500GT-1GB fanless PCIe16 graphics card:

-- both VGA and DVI-D outputs work fine in various other systems here.

But..

-- System will not POST with card in my HTPC and plugged into HDMI port #1 (via a DVI-D to HDMI cable) of the HDTV. Dead before the BIOS, no video signal. This is the port that was formerly in use when the driver update killed it.

-- System *does* POST and work normally with card in my HTPC and plugged into either of the other two HDMI ports on the HDTV. Heck, it even works with 190.36 in this configuration, too.

-- System works with HDMI port #1, if I hot unplug the HDMI cable (from ports #2 or #3) after booting and then replug it into port #1.

-- The HDTV HDMI port #1 works fine (boot or otherwise) with all other graphics cards here, including an ASUS 8400GS-512M Silent.

Quite the puzzle.. It's like the card's onboard BIOS remembers the devices it is/was connected to, and applies bad bootup settings to that one port now.

EDIT: More information:
-- The problem follows the video card: same card, in different system, exact same behaviour with the HDTV HDMI ports.
-- Same card, different DVI-D monitor, no problem.
-- Different card, same HDTV, no such issues.

????
mlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 04:49 PM   #4
Lukian

Odd. I believe my housemate has a similar issue with his 8600GT.

It (now) refuses to POST when the DVI port(s) are connected.
I think it successfully POSTs when the DVI ports are disconnected.
The graphics card works (and POSTs) fine in a different computer.

I'm uncertain this issue is related to the 190.32 driver in his case, as I think he upgraded the driver after the issue (using a different 8600GT in the meantime).

See below for additional information.

Last edited by Lukian; 10-10-09 at 09:12 AM.
Lukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 05:22 AM   #5
Cloricus

I use Linux and my housemate uses Windows and both 8600GTs are different brands with different memory sizes (mine 512, hers 256).

I upgraded to nvidia 64bit beta driver 190.32 from the 185.x stable release last week, I did not reboot my computer to do this, just X.

The drivers functioned well for several days until I was assisting a house mate upgrade her computer. To test some thing I shut down my computer, for the first time since the upgrade, and took out my card to put in the house mates computer. I later put it back in and it booted intermittently (2 or 3 times out of 15)... I assumed that I hadn't grounded myself correctly and I'd discharged on the card, destroying it. That is, however, before I put it back in my house mates computer and it booted flawlessly.

So we swapped cards, I now have her 8600GT and she has my 8600GT.

Her 8600GT in my computer will intermittently not boot while the DVI plugs are connected (e: I wrote this post a week ago, this issue hasn't resurfaced since the initial switch). So I unplug the two monitors and boot before replacing them and the system runs fine. My 8600GT in her computer works without issue. Both cards run games as they did before all of this and pass all graphics tests (dxdiag or glxgears etc).

I'd love to know why this is so...
Cloricus is offline   Reply With Quote