Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-09, 10:36 PM   #1
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Time is approaching, and I am wondering if I can install it on my desktop, and one on my laptop? Or did that EULA go out the window?

I specifically named x64 because I don't want another x86 OS.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:44 PM   #2
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

No, one machine per key.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:44 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

What key is it?

I am using the same key for Win 7 on both my home systems for Win 7 Ultimate.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:45 PM   #4
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

I thought regardless of version it was one machine per key.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:59 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

it is one key per machine, so Sazar is a criminal
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 11:06 PM   #6
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it is one key per machine, so Sazar is a criminal
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 06:18 AM   #7
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it is one key per machine, so Sazar is a criminal
Hmm...this is going to sound like a stretch, but, enterprise versions of windows are done with Multiple Activation Keys since they are typically done on a per site license rather than a per machine license.

Since ultimate is supposed to be essentially the same thing as enterprise, would the keys be the same as well?

I figure if this wasn't the case, it wouldn't have allowed him to activate his copy on more than one computer. At least, from what I understand, if you attempt to activate the same key twice on vista you'll have to phone in, and they ask you if you have two computers installed with the same key.

If you say yes, they tell you that its a one machine license blah blah have to remove the old copy blah blah. If you say no, they say "ok" and void the previous installation ID so the next time the other computer tries to e.g. go to windows update, it'll get the "this copy of windows is not genuine" nag.

Since this isn't happening to sazars computers, then I am curious if these copies of ultimate are done on a MAK type activation.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 11:06 AM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Hmm...this is going to sound like a stretch, but, enterprise versions of windows are done with Multiple Activation Keys since they are typically done on a per site license rather than a per machine license.

Since ultimate is supposed to be essentially the same thing as enterprise, would the keys be the same as well?

I figure if this wasn't the case, it wouldn't have allowed him to activate his copy on more than one computer. At least, from what I understand, if you attempt to activate the same key twice on vista you'll have to phone in, and they ask you if you have two computers installed with the same key.

If you say yes, they tell you that its a one machine license blah blah have to remove the old copy blah blah. If you say no, they say "ok" and void the previous installation ID so the next time the other computer tries to e.g. go to windows update, it'll get the "this copy of windows is not genuine" nag.

Since this isn't happening to sazars computers, then I am curious if these copies of ultimate are done on a MAK type activation.
ultimate can only use retail or OEM licensing, no volume activation.

Retail key will allow you to activate few computers, but according to the license you only supposed to use one key per computer at any given time. reason why it works on few PCs, so if you upgrade or replace your computer you can still use the retail copy of win 7.

retail win7 ultimate keys are they only keys being given out by technet.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-09, 11:16 AM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I thought regardless of version it was one machine per key.
I have an MSDN account so I can use the same key across multiple systems.

My enterprise win 7 is an image from work where I am on the early adopter program so always get early builds of new images (same happened when Vista was released) and this key is not mine.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 11:46 AM   #10
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I have an MSDN account so I can use the same key across multiple systems.

My enterprise win 7 is an image from work where I am on the early adopter program so always get early builds of new images (same happened when Vista was released) and this key is not mine.
Well I think your post was misleading, cause the OP (I believe) is talking about the versions that are going to be released in a few weeks. With those versions (Retail, OEM, and Upgrade), the rule is 1 machine per key.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 04:54 PM   #11
Absolution
AbsoUI
 
Absolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 933
Default Re: 2 installs of Win 7 x64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Time is approaching, and I am wondering if I can install it on my desktop, and one on my laptop? Or did that EULA go out the window?

I specifically named x64 because I don't want another x86 OS.
If you have two keys (1 x64 & 1 x86) - you can activate them both on an x64 install. The keys aren't tied to the processor architecture.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.