Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-09, 03:29 AM   #1
Dragorep

Default SD Composite and 720p HD Component clones with 1080p Desktop also = 3 displays

I am looking to setup a box with the following outputs:

1) Component 720p to a CRT 720p TV for HD Video (using vdpau)
2) Composite SD to a distribution Modulator / amp to SD TV's for downscaled replica of 1 (HD to SD) above (using vdpau)
3) VGA or DVI to 1080p LCD for Desktop

To be clear here 1) and 2) are intended to be video clones of each other all the time.

I figure I can get 1) and 3) using a PCIe 9500GT with 1M RAM using separate X sessions (from recollection).

It seems one can get either component or composite out of one card but not both from one card? (Unless one can get composite out of the adapter and component out of the DVI-I socket simultaneously?)

Assuming one card cannot do all 3 then 2) could come from a PCI 9400GT.

Looking thru the readme it seems I need to configure this as MultiGPU.

What is confusing is there is some suggestion that using MultiGPU means only one display per GPU, which may mean I need a PCIe and two PCI cards?

Some comment and clarification how I should proceed would be appreciated please.

Last edited by Dragorep; 10-05-09 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Corrections
Dragorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 11:40 AM   #2
JaXXoN

Default Re: SD Composite and 720p HD Component clones with 1080p Desktop also = 3 displays

My understanding of your posting is that your 9500 has three
video outputs? To my knowledge, there can be only be two
outputs active at any time, because there are only two signal
generators and output scaling devices available on the card.
So even the third output would be a clone of one of the other two,
then in your case it would require a different signal and scaling
(720p vs composite). However, I'm not fully sure on this ...

As for using separate cards: the two cloned outputs need to
come from the same card, so 1)+2) would come from the 9400
and 3) from the 9500.

But instead of purchasing another card, you may consider
purchasing a Component signal-splitter and (if the second
TV doesn't has a Component input) a Component to
Composite converter. This equipment is very likely more
expensive than a 9400, but may save you a lot of headache,
depending on your actual application.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 01:36 PM   #3
bwheaton

Send a message via AIM to bwheaton
Default Re: SD Composite and 720p HD Component clones with 1080p Desktop also = 3 displays

You definitely can't get those 3 different resolutions out of one card. There's a vague chance composite and component SD would come out of the same adaptor.

Two PCIe cards would do it, but you would need to run software that specifically supports multiple outputs on different graphics cards. There isn't really an OS system that allows accelerated 'mirroring'.

Bruce
bwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 04:58 PM   #4
Dragorep

Thank you for the helpful replies. I hadn't been thinking about getting the cloned video out of the same video card, however that makes sense and a second PCI would probably work well for the desktop.

I'll check out price and quality of component splitters and a component to composite converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwheaton View Post
There's a vague chance composite and component SD would come out of the same adaptor.
Bruce
The NVIDIA Video Adapters unfortunately share the yellow composite socket with the
blue component lead, so they physically do not allow simultaneous outputs of composite and component.

However they also have a S-Video out, I am now wondering if one card might output component and S-Video simultaneously? I think its relatively easy to convert S-Video to Composite?

The DVI-I spec also has composite and component incorporated, however whether it is wired up I do not know, the manuals do not say TV out can be obtained from these, although if they comply with the spec and all the ducks line up then there is a chance I might get a second analogue output there?

Nothing I've seen suggests two analogue TV outputs are possible from one card. Perhaps it is?
Dragorep is offline   Reply With Quote