Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-09, 10:31 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Bleh...

Well, my laptop was acting up just a few moments ago. Error code it was displaying indicated a dead CPU according to HP's website. This would leave me without a computer.

My desktop *only* needs ram to become functional. I still have my GTX260 Core216, and a measly 17" LCD monitor... but I can use this.

My problem is money is incredibly tight. I feel like I almost have to rob Peter to pay Paul and I still find myself too poor to pay attention.

Anyhow, that's neither here nor there.

I've got the Intel x58 mobo, i7 920, 850 watt Silverstone quad rail PSU, basically I just need RAM like I said in my initial post to get her up and running. I was hoping to just save up and get a 5870 2GB or GTX3xx series, as well as the 28" Hanns-G monitor, and no less than 6GB of awesome DDR3 1600 RAM... but I need a rig and if I can't get my lappy going again I need to do something.

So, Im considering this RAM and want to know what ya'll think of it. I'd purchase two sticks for 2GB total as it'd cost me right about $50 shipped. This should work "okay" as I plan on doing a fresh install of Vista Ultimate, and I'd just install the 32-bit version.

My question is:

Ya'll think that's decent RAM? I don't have a lot of experience with Crucial RAM so I don't know that I can trust them as a company. That RAM gets great reviews from customers on Newegg, but I know better than to go by those alone.

TIA guys.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 10:42 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Bleh...

For about $28 more I could get this G.Skill RAM. Not the stuff I originally wanted, but I'd at least have a decent amount of RAM and it wouldn't be too slow either. I really don't know if I can squeeze out that $28...

I suppose I could always put that AXP3200 back to use, limp along on that with 3GB DDR400 ram and a 7800GS AGP. That'd give me time to save up to properly put my actual desktop together... tough decisions!
Old 10-05-09, 10:58 PM   #3
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Yikes! Hope you sort out your financial situation.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 10:59 PM   #4
Bman212121

Cruical has been in the business for a long time. I bought a stick of 128MB pc133 a long time ago and it seemed to work okay. I'd just wait until you can afford it though and get more ram.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 12:11 AM   #5
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

dam - it's ddr3. if it was ddr2 i'd give you some for free.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 01:23 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post

Thanks Zoomy + Bob.

And I appreciate the input Bman... hoping for somebody with a bit more recent experience with them though. lol I'm really tempted to just do my plan from the first post. It's either that or gimp along with an AXP 3200 and a 7800GS. Ya'll might be right about just limping along with the old rig until I can get some propr RAM.

Any more advice or opinions ya'll? Anybody else have any comments about Crucial?
Old 10-06-09, 02:30 PM   #7
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
Me too!

Never known anyone to have problems with Cruical RAM
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 03:20 PM   #8
Redeemed

Well, for about$15 more I can get some pretty decent ram... that's actually the RAM I was hoping to get all along for this i7 build. I'm really tempted to purchase this stuff today.

I've got to deposit 4 checks today... sadly they're small checks. But most of my large bills are paid. If I bought this now, things would be tight, but livable. And to help keep my mind off of how tight finances are, I'd have a cool gaming rig. Only problem- I'm still stuck with that 17" LCD. But, on the upside, I'd be able to play 100% every game at max resolution (1024 x 768) with 16xQAA, 16x AF, and all other goodies 100% maxed.

That just seems wrong- i7 920, 4GB DDR3 1600, 1.5TB hard drive space, Blu-Ray drive, GTX260 Core216 being used with a 17" LCD @ 1024 x 768. At least I wont have to worry about stressing my components too much.

What do ya'll think? Should I do it? Next month on I'll be doing some vigorous job hunting as I'm in the process of moving. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get a full time job over there. And even if it's at minimum wage I'd still be bringing in more money than I am currently since I'm only working part time now. And my expenses I've kept incredibly low on purpose.

So, what do ya'll think? Get that G.Skill RAM I linked to in this post? I'm gonna' get dressed, make the deposit, and I'll see what ya'll have suggested after that. Should be a good 45 minutes to an hour.

Currently, I'm using an old single core A64 3800, with an old EPoX mobo, 3.5GB DDR400 RAM, and an old 7800GS. Runs Vista rather well, surprisingly. But I'm not sure I want to limp along with this. For only $100 I can have my i7 rig going. A co worker has expressed interest in buying my GTX260 for $150. If he does, I have a 512MB 7900GT I can use untill I have money for a proper card. After that, I just keep saving and get myself that Hanns-G. Totally doable, just it'll take some time with my current in-come level.

I really don't know if I want to use that 7800GS though. I'm still at my bro's house though (house sitting for him and his wife). I'm gonna' head back to my place in bit and I'll test out that old rig. See how she fares in the likes of L4D and such. If she plays reasonably well I might just save my $100.

Ah- the tough decisions in life. *shakes head*

Old 10-13-09, 03:32 PM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Hope it all works out for you.

I also have some memory I could have flwon your way for free, but I don't have DDR3

I would probably save up a little more money and go ahead and get a little better memory.

At a pinch the Crucial would tide you over, but it might be worth waiting for a bit to get a better set that won't simply tide you over, it will be THE memory you use
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 03:34 PM   #10
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

+1 for Crucial
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 04:50 PM   #11
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Hope it all works out for you.

I also have some memory I could have flwon your way for free, but I don't have DDR3

I would probably save up a little more money and go ahead and get a little better memory.

At a pinch the Crucial would tide you over, but it might be worth waiting for a bit to get a better set that won't simply tide you over, it will be THE memory you use
Well, I can get THE memory I want to use now. It's just I'd be stuck using my 17" LCD for now, and it would definitely keep my finances tight.

Or, I could just put the build on hold and use what I have currently. It'll give me about $100 extra dollars to leave in my account. Finances would be still be tight, but I'd have an "extra" $100. I'm DL'ing L4D on this old rig now. Gonna' see how it plays.
Old 10-13-09, 04:53 PM   #12
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, I can get THE memory I want to use now. It's just I'd be stuck using my 17" LCD for now, and it would definitely keep my finances tight.

Or, I could just put the build on hold and use what I have currently. It'll give me about $100 extra dollars to leave in my account. Finances would be still be tight, but I'd have an "extra" $100. I'm DL'ing L4D on this old rig now. Gonna' see how it plays.
Do what's right

I had to drop $20k, unexpectedly, earlier this year and basically I just gave up a few things I took for granted till things normalized

It's easier than it may seem to hold off on things when you put it in perspective

L4D should play fine. Actually you should be able to play most things pretty well I think

Look @ the specs on my HTPC. It still gets a daily workout and it is capable of playing most things today with decent resolution and LOD. I had a 1950XT in there before and while slower, after scaling some items back, it was adequate
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote