Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-03-10, 11:51 PM   #1
hapooh

Default First impressions of Ubisoft's new online DRM system

Last few weeks I've been keeping up with the online postings about Ubisoft's new online DRM. And was concerned to read that Silent Hunter V was going to be using it. However, Ubisoft has made some of my favorite PC games in the past few years and I decided to give it a shot, and go ahead and take the plunge and at least try one of their games.

I purchased SH5 from Steam, and activated a new account on Ubisoft's network. It was fairly painless and simpler than setting up a windows live account. So far so good. I fire up the game, and does the signing onto the network...

So first issue I encounter is a long load time while the game synchronizes your save games with Ubisoft's servers.. About 1 to 2 minutes.

Eventually I get into the game menu and was able to do the first time graphics and game setup. That was normal.

Next I started new game in the campaign and was no real issues, though game did take a long time to load. But I can't necessarily say that was an internet issue.

So first mission is a tutorial and walking around the sub while the game tells you how to interact and how to use the ingame commands. Still good, no other issues.

However, about 5 minutes into the mission, I get a pop up saying there's a problem with the internet and my session state has been saved. It tells me to wait of click the OK button to return to the main menu. But after a 10 seconds the message box goes away, and I'm back into the mission. I not too concerned, and go on playing.

But minute later message box pops up. And I wait 10 seconds it goes away. And then another 30 seconds message box pops up.. and then so on and so forth.. After about 10 minutes of getting interrupted I gave up. I then go to exit the game and there's another window open saying synchronizing saves with Ubisoft's network, app will close when complete. Well after letting it run in the background for couple of minutes I just closed it. I probably lost my saves.

So the best way I can describe playing the game is like streaming a movie from Netflix. Most of the time watching a movie online is fine, but occausionally Netlfix app will need to reconnect or adjust your video quality because your internet connection has slowed. It's the same with SH5. You need a constant connection to the server. If for a second it gets disconnected or your internet slows down, the game stops with the pop up.

I'm sure there will be times during the day when playing it will go fine, and my internet connectivity won't have any issues. But if you plan on playing for hours at a time, you're going to have issues. And no way can I even imagine playing a FPS with this setup. You'll go nuts.

I sure hope Ubisoft reconsiders this DRM setup. They've killed their games for me, I won't be buying another of their games with this type of security.
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 11:54 PM   #2
mojoman0

Default Re: First impressions of Ubisoft's new online DRM system

interesting...reports are in saying it has already been cracked
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:00 AM   #3
Airbrushkid

To bad there doing that. But it was said today that it's been cracked.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/03/...ready-cracked/
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:08 AM   #4
trivium nate

its been cracked and they are remaking so that even if you lose internet connection you can resume right where you left off
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:05 AM   #5
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh View Post
Last few weeks I've been keeping up with the online postings about Ubisoft's new online DRM. And was concerned to read that Silent Hunter V was going to be using it. However, Ubisoft has made some of my favorite PC games in the past few years and I decided to give it a shot, and go ahead and take the plunge and at least try one of their games.

I purchased SH5 from Steam, and activated a new account on Ubisoft's network. It was fairly painless and simpler than setting up a windows live account. So far so good. I fire up the game, and does the signing onto the network...

So first issue I encounter is a long load time while the game synchronizes your save games with Ubisoft's servers.. About 1 to 2 minutes.

Eventually I get into the game menu and was able to do the first time graphics and game setup. That was normal.

Next I started new game in the campaign and was no real issues, though game did take a long time to load. But I can't necessarily say that was an internet issue.

So first mission is a tutorial and walking around the sub while the game tells you how to interact and how to use the ingame commands. Still good, no other issues.

However, about 5 minutes into the mission, I get a pop up saying there's a problem with the internet and my session state has been saved. It tells me to wait of click the OK button to return to the main menu. But after a 10 seconds the message box goes away, and I'm back into the mission. I not too concerned, and go on playing.

But minute later message box pops up. And I wait 10 seconds it goes away. And then another 30 seconds message box pops up.. and then so on and so forth.. After about 10 minutes of getting interrupted I gave up. I then go to exit the game and there's another window open saying synchronizing saves with Ubisoft's network, app will close when complete. Well after letting it run in the background for couple of minutes I just closed it. I probably lost my saves.

So the best way I can describe playing the game is like streaming a movie from Netflix. Most of the time watching a movie online is fine, but occausionally Netlfix app will need to reconnect or adjust your video quality because your internet connection has slowed. It's the same with SH5. You need a constant connection to the server. If for a second it gets disconnected or your internet slows down, the game stops with the pop up.

I'm sure there will be times during the day when playing it will go fine, and my internet connectivity won't have any issues. But if you plan on playing for hours at a time, you're going to have issues. And no way can I even imagine playing a FPS with this setup. You'll go nuts.

I sure hope Ubisoft reconsiders this DRM setup. They've killed their games for me, I won't be buying another of their games with this type of security.
what sort of internet connection do you have that drops out every couple of minutes?
Old 03-04-10, 01:49 AM   #6
mojoman0

probably the same kind I have ahhaah....thanks charter
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 02:20 AM   #7
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
what sort of internet connection do you have that drops out every couple of minutes?
It doesn't necessarily have to be his connection that drops out, just the connection to Ubisoft's servers, which he has no control over.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 02:47 AM   #8
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

I'm not suprised, the cracked version will just play better than the legit version - nothing new here.

Ubisoft isn't very well known for their netcode.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-10, 03:01 AM   #9
K-1

Ugh, as awful as expected. Glad I canceled my SH5 and Assassin's Creed II pre-orders, though I wish I didn't have to as I really wanted to play both those games.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 05:47 AM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Confirmed, its cracked.... The scene group SKIDROW took care of it... Here are excerpts...

EDIT: I remember the last time I posted an NFO, some people got their panties in a twist so I took it out.

What I can tell you is that its no different from any other cracked game.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:23 AM   #11
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Yeah so looks like they will beat assassins creed 2 and new splinter cell to with ease, and in a month ubisoft will cry over the pc sales.. u damn morons..
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:44 AM   #12
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
To bad there doing that. But it was said today that it's been cracked.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/03/...ready-cracked/
It'll be ironic if the pirated version of the game plays better without any of that pop up nonsense.
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote