Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-09, 01:57 PM   #85
doom3ed_player

Default Re: Official Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
I paid $50 for it when it first came out on Steam.

And if the 4GB bug is well-known, they should be working to fix it. Anyone with a LGA1366 Core i7 rig built for gaming will have 6 (3x2GB) GB of RAM for the triple channel capability, because 3x1GB is just skirting the limits of enough memory for high end gaming (especially on a 64-bit OS, where the OS itself can sit on over 1 GB of memory), and using 2x2GB removes triple channel.

And not everybody uses their rig purely for gaming. CAD and 3D modeling use up as much memory as you can throw at it. You can't tell these people to go into their computer and pop out a couple memory sticks, or make a change in their system config and restart to limit the OS to see only 4GB every time they want to play ArmA2.

The point is that the ArmA 2 is buggy as all hell. If Bohemia still had the Codemasters budget and QA team during development, maybe it would have been better, but they don't. I still enjoy the game immensely, but I'm waiting for a few more patches before I continue the campaign.
but what is tripple channel for ?
doom3ed_player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 01:57 PM   #86
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3ed_player View Post
. anyway , who has 4GB++ config for gaming & multimedia?
How about almost everybody here
Old 10-08-09, 02:00 PM   #87
doom3ed_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
LMFAO you've gotta be kidding me?? So you can't run the game with more than 4GB ram on 64 bit OS??? Well that confirms it thats IS the worst money I've ever spent!!!

I have Win7 x64 and 8GB ram, I guess I'm screwed from this crappy game. Way to go Bohemian Interactive!! We'll I'd imagine most people with a x64 OS would have more than 4GB ram thats the whole friggin' point of a 64 bit OS. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

This is why there should be demos. Maybe this is one of those games people should pirate first. See, I got screwed, no ones refunding me my $50 though. But they all bitch and whine about piracy. Funny how they wont give you your money back when the product is just garbage.

what you called a "crappy" game is the most flexible, programmable, beautifull , platoon military simulator EVER conceived all plateform considered.
it need a bit of attention on hardware , software suit , i admit . but this game works fine , and offer a such large range of gameplay ... it can replace easily all military FPS. in single shot .
Old 10-08-09, 02:00 PM   #88
doom3ed_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
How about almost everybody here
not me . i have 4GB . not 5 neither 6 . i simply don't need it.
Old 10-08-09, 02:06 PM   #89
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3ed_player View Post
what you called a "crappy" game is the most flexible, programmable, beautifull , platoon military simulator EVER conceived all plateform considered.
it need a bit of attention on hardware , software suit , i admit . but this game works fine , and offer a such large range of gameplay ... it can replace easily all military FPS. in single shot .
its crappy, why are you trying to sugar coat a turd?? Any game that cant work with more than 4GB ram is UNFINISHED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 02:08 PM   #90
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Is this game similar to say GRAW?
Old 10-08-09, 02:09 PM   #91
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
Is it so hard to look for the issue on the official forums? It took me 10 seconds to find it through google. Simply add -winxp parameter to the arma2.exe and it won't use more than 4GB in an x64 OS and this way you can avoid the texture/LOD bug on systems with more than 4GB system memory.
Maybe I need to give Arma another shot, my dad plays that game all the time and loves it. I picked up and installed OFP2 today (during lunch) and the game runs great at max settings (1920x1200). I couldn't get into Arma, for some reason I could not find a mixture of settings that gave me a solid gameplay experience.
Old 10-08-09, 02:19 PM   #92
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
Is this game similar to say GRAW?
I would say so except that this one obviously does the "open world" approach and both games share similar color palettes. However it has a few shortcomings, quite poor textures, a horrible zoomed FOV, the driving physics are quite poor (considering that this engine was used in racing games). I also think the weapon handling and realism was quite a bit better in GRAW. It's not really a bad game but it has its issues/shortcomings and depending if thats a big deal for you you might not enjoy it as much.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-09, 02:26 PM   #93
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
I would say so except that this one obviously does the "open world" approach and both games share similar color palettes. However it has a few shortcomings, quite poor textures, a horrible zoomed FOV, the driving physics are quite poor (considering that this engine was used in racing games). I also think the weapon handling and realism was quite a bit better in GRAW. It's not really a bad game but it has its issues/shortcomings and depending if thats a big deal for you you might not enjoy it as much.
I dont agree with most of this. Its like GRAW. Every game has a low res texture here and there if you want to walk around and find everyone, cool. I'm too busy shooting things to notice. I dont have an FOV issue per say but Im at 1680 10:16.

Quote:
Old 10-08-09, 02:43 PM   #94
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Is it so hard to look for the issue on the official forums? It took me 10 seconds to find it through google. Simply add -winxp parameter to the arma2.exe and it won't use more than 4GB in an x64 OS and this way you can avoid the texture/LOD bug on systems with more than 4GB system memory.
So then why dont they just fix it??

Quote:
Old 10-08-09, 02:47 PM   #95
agentkay

Almost every texture is a bit low-res in OPF2, maybe not if you compare it to other console ports but imo even GTA4 has better textures and at least has multilayered ones with bump and specmaps which add nice details (but not necessarly higher resolution). But you know what I don't even care, its a multiplatform game, its quite normal that it lacks in this area but the ground texture was surely the first thing that I noticed and that stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

The FOV is actually a bigger issue for me and especially noticable if you go in a building. It seems to have less degrees than Bioshock. A good FOV is about 75 degrees on a 16:9 display and I'm almost certain this one has something like 50 degrees....ugh.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
Old 10-08-09, 02:55 PM   #96
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
So then why dont they just fix it??
IDK, maybe because of a limited budget or possibly an engine limitation or they simply haven't found it. Mind you its not uncommon for 32bit apps having issues using more than 3GB memory, but most of them don't necessary start to show "bugs" because of the addional memory, they simply don't know it exists and ignore it. Armas engine is quite complex and it wouldn't surprise me if it has still a lot of "old code" hidden underneath so it could be very easy to break things if not done right. Still the Arma devs do support their games pretty damn well, you know mod support, cheat protection, decicated Linux server and all the good stuff.

F CliffyB.