Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-09, 11:31 PM   #1
groovy9

Default Odd stutter/hiccup issue with video on 190.X

I'm running an Nvidia 730i motherboard with built-in 9300 card and HDMI output. I'm dealing with an annoying periodic stutter wherein the video (480p, 720p, doesn't seem to matter) stutters twice, about a second apart, every couple minutes. Otherwise, it plays perfectly.

By stutter, I mean it drops a few frames and then continues. I can "fix" it for a while by killing X and unloading/reloading the nvidia module. But it always comes back. Restarting X without reloading the module doesn't help, so it seems like it's the nvidia module.

I had high hopes for 190.42, which fixed a memory leak, but no love. It's still doing it.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. It happens in both Mplayer and Xine. I haven't noticed it in fullscreen Flash video, but I haven't tested that a ton.

Anyone seen this or have an idea what's going on?

Edited to add: I haven't tested any "stable" drivers (185 or earlier), as I'm displaying this on my TV, which suffers from the overscan problem. Overscan compensation didn't show up until 190.
groovy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 11:46 PM   #2
wiresquire

Default Re: Odd stutter/hiccup issue with video on 190.X

I had a similar sounding problem that I noticed mainly with flash. This may not be your problem, but is an easy thing to check. The problem was the ubuntu ondemand cpu profile is a little, err, too 'lazy'. It doesn't speed up fast enough when you need the cpu power.

The simplest workaround is to try adding the CPU frequency scaling monitor to your panel. Set the profile to 'Performance' in the applet, and then try running the video etc again.

I'm running 9.04. I thought I had read that this was fixed in 9.10 but could be wrong....

hth
ws
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 10:29 PM   #3
groovy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiresquire View Post
I had a similar sounding problem that I noticed mainly with flash. This may not be your problem, but is an easy thing to check. The problem was the ubuntu ondemand cpu profile is a little, err, too 'lazy'. It doesn't speed up fast enough when you need the cpu power.
I always disable that feature in the bios. I just verified it with 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' to make sure it hadn't gotten flipped back on by accident.

Any other ideas? It's maddening.
groovy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 12:09 PM   #4
mocharhw

I haven't upgraded to Ubungo 9.10 yet, but I do know in all previous versions there is a nasty bug in the Gnome environment where silly gnome-screensaver continuously polls and hammers on the system which causes video playback to stutter. "killall gnome-screensaver" and see if that helps. Also, you might have some widgets running which are set to poll the system too fast. Stuff like CPU monitors, systems monitors, temp monitors, etc, get rid of this stuff or set it's polling rate to every 30 seconds or something like that. Try running top in a terminal when you see the stuttering and see if you can catch the offender.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote