Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-09, 06:38 AM   #1
doahh

Default Blank second monitor with driver above 180.44

I have been having a few random freezes (once or twice a day) while using KDE (both 4.2 and 4.3) and a Geforce 6900GT. I have been trying to upgrade the Nvidia drivers but every time I do my second monitor goes blank. I am using Linux Mint and have tried the following:

1) Swapping the monitors over and activating DVI on the monitor that support it;
2) Installing drivers directing from the NVidia site (both 186 and 190);
3) Installed the drivers through the Hardware Drivers utility provided with Mint;
4) Tried both uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and simply installing directly over the top of old ones.

Each time the nvidia-settings utility can see the second monitor and I can move the mouse and windows onto that monitor but it is always blank and in standby mode.

When I install the drivers manually I get the following errors after uninstalling the previous drivers:

Code:
Unable to open /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so for reading (No such file or directory)
and if I simply install directly over the top of previous drivers I get:

Code:
Unable to open /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core for reading (No such file or directory)
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can try?
doahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 09:38 AM   #2
doahh

Default Re: Blank second monitor with driver above 180.44

It seems that with drivers above 182 a DVI -> VGA adapter will no longer work. I took out the VGA adapter and bought a DVI -> DVI cable and it seems to have fixed the problem. I am not sure if it will make the system freeze go away but at least I can upgrade my drivers if I feel like it.
doahh is offline   Reply With Quote