Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-09, 08:15 AM   #1
terran4000

Angry NVS 160 incorrect tempurature and lowest performance level

Good day everyone,

I have a Latitude E6500 with a NVS 160. With every driver set, newer or older (maybe I didn't try old enough), after a few minutes of constant high GPU usage (ie: video games or CUDA stuff) the performance level drops from the highest/best performance of 3 to the worst: 0.

Of course this results in abysmal performance. The only solution is to turn off the laptop completely and do a cold boot. A mere restart has no effect.

I have tried various options, such as the DWORD's options, Coolbits, and the 'forced peformance level' bash script. All had no effect on this issue.

At first I thought this could be a temperature issue, though it is not. At most, the temperature would reach around 70C (give or take a few) and never approaching 80C. Though, at almost random amount of time (though always a short amount of time) 'nvidia-setting' control panel would start to report the tempurature to be 97C constantly and never ever changing.

This is troubling as that is not the temperature. Using nvclock-gtk as a temperature monitor in conjunction with nvidia-settings I did a small test.

Ran a game and watched the temps. For a while both report the correct temp. Though after a while, the performance drops while nvsettings reports 97C and the 'correct' tempurature, reported by nvclock, was 70C and slowly decreased (due to the decreased performance level).

There are no errors in the logs, no timing errors, no artifacts ... just slowness.

I use Kubuntu 9.04 with compiz off. Testing this in Vista: no slow downs at all ever after several hours of Fallout 3 (fun game btw).

If this slowdown happens in Linux and I reboot into Windows without a shutdown (warm boot), the problem persists in Windows as well.

Only cold reboot works.

Attached is a screenshot of nvidia-settings and nvclock-gtk showing two completely different temperatures ... this is after the problem happened.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a fix for this? Or could it be a hardware issue and should get my laptop fixed?

Thanks.
--PK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	38500  
terran4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 05:08 PM   #2
terran4000

Default Re: NVS 160 incorrect tempurature and lowest performance level

Does anyone have any idea how to solve the constant 97C temperature issue?
terran4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 06:02 PM   #3
ledoc

Default Re: NVS 160 incorrect tempurature and lowest performance level

Presumably you tried selecting 'Prefer Max Perfomance' in the PowerMizer panel?
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote