Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-09, 10:04 AM   #1
rebollo

Default GF 6600 and 185.18.36 on Fedora 11: black screen and freeze at startup

Hello,
I installed the nvidia driver (185.18.36) on my Fedora 11 system, for a Geforce 6600 card.
Every time I try to start X with the nvidia driver enabled in xorg.conf, it gives a black screen and the system gets completely frozen, with no ssh access possible.

To solve the problem and avoid conflicts, I tried uninstalling the "nouveau" package supplied with Fedora 11, and rebuilt the initrd image as explained in some docs. "Nouveau" kernel module is no longer loaded at startup, but this did not improve the situation.

Before that, I tried the rpm packages of the nvidia driver supplied by rpmfusion. They were freezing the system as well, and I uninstalled them all. My only remaining copy of the driver should be that from the Nvidia website.

I attach a copy of the bug report, generated after "startx -- -logverbose 6". In the Xorg logfile, the freeze sometimes occurs a bit earlier, either just after loading the glx module, or just after loading the nvidia module. This time it went a little further, and seemed to actually load the module, but crashed as well.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (42.0 KB, 84 views)
rebollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 05:07 AM   #2
kwizart

Default Re: GF 6600 and 185.18.36 on Fedora 11: black screen and freeze at startup

nvidiafb is loaded, this shouldn't happen neither with rpmfusion package nor with nvidia-installer.

That been said, there are well known problem with this driver and kernel 2.6.30 with some older hardware, that was reported in our rpmfusion bugtracker and to nvidia.

You can either try the next release candidate driver (190.42) or a 2.6.29 kernel.
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 10:48 AM   #3
rebollo

Default Re: GF 6600 and 185.18.36 on Fedora 11: black screen and freeze at startup

Thank you,
At some point I commented out the line blacklisting "nvidiafb" in /etc/modprobe.d
This was a dumb move, but the system was crashing before that anyway. I re-blacklisted it and downgraded to kernel-PAE-2.6.29 (default Fedora 11 kernel before applying updates), but the result was the same.
Then I updated the Nvidia driver to 190.42, but it was no better.
I'm attaching another bug report, this time with 2.6.29 and 190.42.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-190.42-kernel-PAE-2.6.29.log.gz (34.3 KB, 78 views)
rebollo is offline   Reply With Quote