Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-09, 11:25 PM   #37
betterdan

Default Re: Saint's Row 2 and Windows 7...ruh ro!

Maybe he should patch himself because when he first came out he was a disaster.
Old 11-13-09, 02:59 AM   #38
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Not even a month ago in this thread you posted that Saints Row is a mess now you say it runs better...
It is a mess... it was one of the worst ports I ever saw when it released and while performance is now decent that is on my PC which is waaaaay abov the requirements. Also it's interface is crap, it's graphics are crap, the keyboard steering is crap and on Win7 the game runs at 200% speed.

So, it's a mess.

But it's a hell of a lot better than it was on launch day.

And that just shows how bad it really was.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 04:39 AM   #39
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It is a mess... it was one of the worst ports I ever saw when it released and while performance is now decent that is on my PC which is waaaaay abov the requirements. Also it's interface is crap, it's graphics are crap, the keyboard steering is crap and on Win7 the game runs at 200% speed.

So, it's a mess.

But it's a hell of a lot better than it was on launch day.

And that just shows how bad it really was.
It's still bad and I've highlighted the issues as well. The game is the worse, buggiest ported game I've ever played.

On the graphics. I think it just looks how is looks, not real but more non serious. The ambient occlusion hits performance but with the 191.x it's not so bad and the frame-rate drops are horrible depending on where you are.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 06:41 AM   #40
betterdan

I don't know what to tell you, it just runs good for me and definately not at 200% speed. I don't mind the keyboard steering but I do agree the menu navigation is crap with not even being able to use the mouse in the menus.

It did use to run pretty crappy when I had Win 7 RC but maybe I just got lucky because it runs pretty nice now.

I see Narcissist has the same cpu and video card so if it's down to the system specs his should be running similar to mine. Not sure if he is overclocking though.
Old 11-13-09, 07:24 AM   #41
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I am still on RC because I am too lazy to reformat, so that could be a possible issue (though I doubt it).

It's also possible you don't realize it is running fast... I don't mean that as offensive at all, but I know a lot of people have said Red Faction Guerrilla and Saint's Row run fine for them and then when shown a youtube video they suddenly realize it is running fast.

In any event, even if our performance and bugs are different on very similar systems, that is a sign the port's lacking, isn't it?
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 11-13-09, 08:04 AM   #42
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I am still on RC because I am too lazy to reformat, so that could be a possible issue (though I doubt it).

It's also possible you don't realize it is running fast... I don't mean that as offensive at all, but I know a lot of people have said Red Faction Guerrilla and Saint's Row run fine for them and then when shown a youtube video they suddenly realize it is running fast.

In any event, even if our performance and bugs are different on very similar systems, that is a sign the port's lacking, isn't it?
+1, I actually really enjoy it running this fast. I dont feel its unplayable, driving can be a bit tricky, but otherwise I enjoy it at the faster speed. It feels so much smoother than when it launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 07:28 PM   #43
betterdan

Whenever you finally put the final version of Win 7 on your computer Narcissist I'd be interested to know if it helped your game.
Old 11-13-09, 09:36 PM   #44
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Whenever you finally put the final version of Win 7 on your computer Narcissist I'd be interested to know if it helped your game.
Yup, I'll report back. Would be awesome if that fixes RFG as well.

I plan to finally make the switch after finishing Dragon Age.

Old 11-14-09, 12:02 AM   #45
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Final doesn't fix it. If you have problems with SR2 or RFG on 7 you'll have it no matter what.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 05:56 AM   #46
betterdan

I don't know Crainger, I had that choppiness in the car with Win 7 RC but I also was using 4gb ram then. Now I have Win 7 final and 8gb ram and the choppiness is gone. I wouldn't think it would be because of the ram but who knows?
Old 11-14-09, 05:01 PM   #47
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Choppiness is different to speed issues.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote