Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-25-09, 09:03 AM   #1
packermann

Thumbs up Thumbs up for 190.42

Besides problems that are posted here, I think it is also important to give positive feedback to the developers. Thumbs up from my side for 190.42.
I've got a Lenovo R61 with a Quadro NVS140-card running Debian 64bit (mixed testing/unstable). For me 190.42 gave me the following benefits:
- faster initialisation of the driver on startup and on restart of X1 (took more than 30 seconds before, now I'm at about 10-15...)
- no graphic corruption so far, had this from time to time in older releases
- suspend-to-ram works like a charm, wakeup is very fast

So at the moment, for me there is only one anoyance left and thats resizing of terminal-windows, that gets very CPU-intensive and sloooow (5-10seconds) especialy when the computer is running for some longer time (half an hour?) and I have more than 1 terminal-window opened.
packermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 05:50 PM   #2
vylu

Default Re: Thumbs up for 190.42

I have the same problem resizing konsole window (with almost the same hardware - ThinkPad T61 with Quadro NVS140m) -- maximizing takes about 5-10 seconds, resizing about the same.

however, if run konsole with command below, everything is fine.
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && konsole
vylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 12:55 PM   #3
packermann

This is no solution for me as I like the true transparency. With XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 you disable compositing and therefore also transparency for this app.
packermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 01:24 PM   #4
neosmatrix

Thumbs up from my side too for 190.42. I havn't had a major problem so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packermann View Post
This is no solution for me as I like the true transparency. With XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 you disable compositing and therefore also transparency for this app.
I don't have any problems with resizing, because I disabled composite extension in my xorg.conf.
neosmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 04:56 PM   #5
Asriel

I still have trouble with 190.42 on T61 NVS140 - X freezes in compiz for 3-5 seconds regularily. No such issues on 185.18.10 - all drivers later give the trouble. No bug report - it does not crash, just no response to whatever you do - keyboard, mouse , sound stops - 2-3 seconds and everything is back running again....
Asriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 05:04 PM   #6
vylu

Quote:
Originally Posted by packermann View Post
I'm not so sure about transparency -- when i moving konsole, it is transparent, also, I can set transparency from kde window menu, etc. Actually, I see no difference.

But anyway, I agree, it's not a solution.
vylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 05:25 PM   #7
conky

Asriel, do you have UseEvents set to true in xorg.conf? The symptoms you describe happen when it is on. It is broken on the 8 series and higher in the newer drivers, and did nothing in the older drivers. Set UseEvents to false if it is on.
conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 06:57 AM   #8
Asriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by conky View Post
Asriel, do you have UseEvents set to true in xorg.conf? The symptoms you describe happen when it is on. It is broken on the 8 series and higher in the newer drivers, and did nothing in the older drivers. Set UseEvents to false if it is on.
Thanks. I have this option set to true - now changed it. Running OK so far.
Asriel is offline   Reply With Quote