Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-10, 04:31 PM   #1
GTrip

Send a message via Yahoo to GTrip
Default NVIDIA 310M - Fedora12 - Toshiba Laptop A505-S6030

When will driver support be available to Linux for the NVIDIA 310M processor? Is it possible for me to adjust options within current NVIDIA provided Linux drivers for this device to function?

I have a desktop with an NVIDIA card using Fedora 12. It was quite a chore to have it function, but became an absolute breeze using "yum install akmod-nvidia". Now that machine runs perfectly and is nearly maintenance free... even with users that have nearly no knowledge of computers past the power button.

I wrote a script to recall NVIDIA personal screen enhancements and settings when the computer starts (like happens automatically and is invisible to the user in Windows).

I've since purchased a newly released Toshiba A505-S6030 laptop computer with NVIDIA 300M video. The NVIDIA drivers produced for the Windows 7 environment work exceptionally well. Although Windows is pretty and has taken much from Linux and the KDE desktop, it's not very efficient. The manufacturers sleep with Microsoft and it's infrastructure at the expense of an even greater, more efficient, nearly maintenance free and exceptional machine running Linux.

I've called Toshiba and spoke with only a person to read and speak results from a database for Windows support. I also used the online support from NVIDIA and called the support phone given to me while on the online support. All were drones working from a database for the Microsoft OpSys.

I know that NVIDIA has developers that support Linux well, but not nearly with a budget as Windows developers. NVIDIA as other manufacturers "may" learn that there will be greater or less purchases of their products based upon support for them. I can use my $1000 vote and return this computer to the retailer if hardware support is unavailable.

With great appreciation, I await any information, advice or assistance.

Thank you.
GTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 05:19 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: NVIDIA 310M - Fedora12 - Toshiba Laptop A505-S6030

Please try the latest beta release, currently 195.36.03.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 06:38 PM   #3
GTrip

Thank you.

Is this just a suggestion or does this beta version specifically include support for the 310M device? I've tried the builds from the NVIDIA site as well as akmod-nvidia (which I've always had luck with in other machines). Nothing seems to work on this newly released machine.

Maybe you can follow this thread on the Fedora forum. Within that, you will find an attachment of the boot log and see exactly what problems are found.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239763

Thank you for your support.
Old 02-18-10, 10:57 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

In general, we usually have at least preliminary support for unreleased products in a given driver. While I can't tell you for sure that it'll work because I haven't tried it myself, I can say that the 310M is in 195.36.03's support list and it ought to work.

That said, Fedora 12 is very bleeding-edge and the problems you described on fedoraforum.org sound like Fedora growing pains rather than problems with the NVIDIA driver itself. I would suggest reproducing the problem you had with Ubuntu, then running nvidia-bug-report.sh and attaching the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file here.

I'm unable to view the messages.txt attachment because I don't have a fedoraforum.org account.
Old 02-18-10, 11:54 PM   #5
GTrip

Ubuntu was only a test. I use Fedora. It's basic core is the same as Fedora. If you support Linux for NVIDIA, creating an account to see and respond to problems there is easy. I'm disappointed that you would make such an excuse and make such little effort. As you said, you don't know what happened and are not sure of this problem.

However, you are in luck. I attached the boot message here!!! I think you may find many problems, not all related to NVIDIA, but the ones important to you.

To me, it would be simple to ask your fellow company employees and developers to be certain if the 310M hardware is supported in your beta release. There should be NO question.

Again, I appreciate your efforts.
Attached Files
File Type: txt messages.txt (85.7 KB, 283 views)
Old 02-19-10, 03:36 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

There are no messages in that log file from the NVIDIA driver, and no indication that the NVIDIA driver was ever loaded. However, the nouveau driver was loaded, which is likely the source of the problem. Please make sure that nouveau and plymouth are not being loaded and that X is configured to use the nvidia driver, then run nvidia-bug-report.sh and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file here.
Old 03-01-10, 01:09 PM   #7
GTrip

nvidia-bug-report.sh output attached
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (70.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-01-10, 03:21 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Thank you GTrip, that points out the problem:
Quote:
(EE) Mar 01 13:53:47 NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA kernel module does not appear to be receiving
(EE) Mar 01 13:53:47 NVIDIA(0): interrupts generated by the NVIDIA graphics device
(EE) Mar 01 13:53:47 NVIDIA(0): PCI:1:0:0. Please see Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
(EE) Mar 01 13:53:47 NVIDIA(0): README for additional information.
(EE) Mar 01 13:53:47 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
This indicates that there is a bug either in the Linux kernel or the system BIOS that fails to route the device interrupts correctly. Please check your motherboard vendor for a BIOS update and if that doesn't help, please contact Fedora's support community.

Old 03-01-10, 03:21 PM   #9
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

From your log, it appears that nouveau is still loaded. It is preventing the nvidia module from accessing your GPU. Please disable and/or remove nouveau, and let us know if you still experience problems after that.

Adding the line "blacklist nouveau" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf should be sufficient.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 03:40 PM   #10
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Danix is right, sorry I missed that. It seems like a bug in the Linux kernel that it allows two drivers to be loaded for the same hardware at the same time (three, if you also count nvidiafb).
Old 03-01-10, 04:09 PM   #11
GTrip

Blacklisted nouveau. nvidiafb was already blacklisted.
I boot into runlevel 3 and startx with vesa as the driver. All fine. I change xorg.conf's driver to nvidia and no go.

Attached 2 newly modified/created files:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
nvidia-bug-report.sh

I was able to boot once into a windows screen using NVIDIA, but all the test and background colors looked like a rainbow and difficult to see. Basically unusable. This happened only once and I've not had it bring a windows environment since using NVIDIA.

This machine was just released by Toshiba during JAN, 2010. I've checked for updates from the board's manufacturer and have found nothing newer. I'm running the latest Fedora kernel release. If you feel a problem exists within the kernel, I'd be happy to provide anything needed. What information and what Fedora forum or other contact area would you recommend that I provide information to best be helpful?

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (68.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: txt blacklist.conf.txt (864 Bytes, 112 views)

Last edited by GTrip; 03-01-10 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added thought
Old 03-01-10, 08:24 PM   #12
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Strange, your nvidia-bug-report still shows nouveau and nvidiafb loaded...

I've noticed that the block of commented text at the top of blacklist.conf suggests that the driver name should appear alone on a line. Try adding "nouveau" and "nvidiafb" on separate lines (no "blacklist") to blacklist.conf.

If that still fails, you can try uninstalling nouveau and nvidiafb. It should be something along the lines of "rpm -e nouveau nvidiafb", or whatever the package names for nouveau and nvidia happen to be. If the package names are not not nouveau and nvidiafb, do "rpm -q nouveau nvidiafb" and it should show you the correct package names.

Last edited by danix; 03-01-10 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling correction... s/along/alone/
danix is offline   Reply With Quote