Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-09, 02:41 PM   #1
Viventis

Default Fastest?Easiest Win 7 Upgrade from Win RC (have XP and Vista Upgrade DVD)

I turned one of my Vista machines into a test unit for Windows 7 RC with a clean install. I have 3 Win 7 upgrade disks coming tomorrow. I would like to know the fastest and easiest way to get Win 7 on this machine. I am guessing that:

a) You can't upgrade from Win 7 RC to Win 7 Home Premium directly;

b) You can't verify your ownership of XP or Vista during the Win 7 install by entering the CD Key or putting the disk in the drive for authentication;

c) A fully authenticated and activated version of XP or Vista must be on the machine to do a Win 7 Upgrade;

d) The install twice trick from Vista upgrade does not work with Win 7 Upgrade; and

e) My XP key is no longer valid after my original upgrade from XP to Vista.

Please tell me I don't have to install Vista twice before I install Win 7 Upgrade! Maybe I can install XP and then get it authenticated by phone to Microsoft.
Viventis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 03:42 PM   #2
betterdan

Default Re: Fastest?Easiest Win 7 Upgrade from Win RC (have XP and Vista Upgrade DVD)

I hope to hell B, C and E aren't correct. I have the Win 7 RC installed on this computer and the Home Premium Upgrade disc is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I want to be able to do a clean install of the Win 7 disc and I'm hoping I can boot up with the cd then insert my XP disc to prove I have it. I hope I don't have to wipe the drive, install XP, get it validated then install Win 7. It would just be more of a pain in the ass to have to do it that way.

Whatever you do though, after Windows 7 gets installed the first time make a backup image of your drive with the built in tools in Windows 7 that way when you have to reinstall you can just reimage the drive and have Windows 7 back up and running quickly.
Old 10-22-09, 04:25 PM   #3
Viventis

Default Re: Fastest?Easiest Win 7 Upgrade from Win RC (have XP and Vista Upgrade DVD)

I am almost positive b) is correct. They didn't even allow this in Vista, and the link I will post below says as much.

I have already read that c) is true.

I am not as sure about e). There were several articles that stated this. However, when I have re-formatted then reloaded Vista Upgrade in the past, I used the "install twice" trick. I have never attempted to reload XP.

As to a), there were several articles written in July that said that some spokesman from Microsoft indicated that an upgrade from RC was possible with the Win 7 Upgrade version. However, the article linked below has the actual error screen that shows up when you try to do it. This link is supposed to show how to tweek a file on the Upgrad disk and change the registry in the RC install to allow an RC to Win 7 Upgrade install. Not sure if I want to try this but "what can I lose?" Instead of doing an upgrade as stated (and risk instability) I would probably make a bootable iso of the changed Upgrade files and do a clean install.

http://icrontic.com/articles/upgrade...7-rc-to-retail
Old 10-22-09, 05:11 PM   #4
betterdan

I saw an article earlier (probably in July) that was supposedly from a Microsoft spokesperson that said you would be able to insert the XP disc to verify you had it. No idea if that is true. If I have to I will install XP then do a fresh install of Win 7 but I would hate to have it make the XP key no longer valid.

I can't believe there isn't any word out yet on how to do a fresh install from the upgrade disc. Lots of rumors but no definate answers.
Old 10-23-09, 08:37 PM   #5
betterdan

Well I got my Win 7 Home Premium upgrade disc in the mail today. Booted up into my Win 7 RC 64 bit OS and inserted the disc. It took me through setup and I chose a custom install and it did it's thing. It made a Windows.old folder with my stuff in it (if anything else is in the root of your c drive it leaves it there) and finished with Windows 7 Home Premium installed and running great so yes you can use the upgrade disc over top of the RC (although it isn't upgrading , it is doing a clean custom install) Took about 25 minutes total.
It went a lot easier than I thought and right now I'm getting ready to use the built in maintenance tool in Win 7 to do a backup image of the c drive so if I ever need to reinstall it I can just reimage the disc.

I liked the RC before but damn this final version seems even quicker, I like it
Old 10-24-09, 04:37 PM   #6
Viventis

Great to hear Betterdan! I trust you did not have to use the trick I linked to earlier. Has anyone confirmed whether using the Upgrade Edition deactivates your CD key for the older OS? Read that several times. If so, it might be better to clean install the RC first so you don't lose the CD key.
Old 10-24-09, 06:17 PM   #7
betterdan

Nope I didn't have to try any trick, I just inserted the dvd while in Windows and followed the prompts and that was it.

If it does deactivate the cd key for your previous OS then get the Win 7 RC now while it's available, install it then upgrade to the final version then burn an image of the drive like I did.
If you ever need to restore it, then you just boot up with the Win 7 upgrade cd, then choose repair and restore image, no having to mess with anymore cd key or anything. I saved my image on the other hard drive in my computer. I'll burn a copy on a couple dvds later.
Old 10-24-09, 06:33 PM   #8
Viventis

Betterdan, how large was the backup file?

Old 10-24-09, 08:04 PM   #9
betterdan

It is 7.95 GB, all it contains is the fresh install of Windows 7 and that's it. What surprised me is it made the backup image in maybe 5 minutes.
Old 10-25-09, 04:09 PM   #10
Viventis

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
It is 7.95 GB, all it contains is the fresh install of Windows 7 and that's it. What surprised me is it made the backup image in maybe 5 minutes.
I took a different approach. I created my image after installing all of my drivers and my favorite games. I have an external hard drive so the size is not as important.
Old 10-25-09, 08:09 PM   #11
betterdan

I started to do that but then what if I don't have the same video card or sound card down the line when I want to reinstall? The size was no big deal to me but I just wanted a fresh Win 7 image only. I can always make another backup image after I get all my stuff installed if i wanted to.