Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-27-09, 10:27 AM   #1
psychok9

Default nVidia 190.42 incompatible with Kubuntu Karmic/KDE 4.3.2?

Today, I tried to install the nVidia 190.xx driver, but kpackage shows an error: "Remove the package krdc before".
Some weeks ago, installing the same main release driver 190.xx and the upgraded Kde 4.3.x on Jaunty, I got a black screen on restart.
What's wrong with it?
Why do I have to stay with the 185.xx release?
psychok9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 10:31 AM   #2
psychok9

Default Re: nVidia 190.42 incompatible with Kubuntu Karmic/KDE 4.3.2?

When I try using apt-get, it show this result:
Code:
sudo LANG=C apt-get install nvidia-glx-190 nvidia-190-libvdpau
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  nvidia-190-kernel-source
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  akregator amarok apport-kde apturl-kde ark dolphin dragonplayer gdebi-kde gwenview install-package jockey-kde k3b kaddressbook kamera kate kcm-gtk kde-style-qtcurve kde-window-manager kde-zeroconf
  kdebase-bin kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd
  kdepim-groupware kdepim-kresources kdepim-runtime kdepim-runtime-libs4 kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdesudo kdm kfind khelpcenter4 kipi-plugins klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool knotes
  konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konqueror-plugin-searchbar konqueror-plugins konsole kontact kopete korganizer kpackagekit kppp krdc krfb ksnapshot ksysguard ksystemlog ktimetracker ktorrent
  kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-firefox-installer kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kvkbd kwalletmanager kwin-style-qtcurve language-selector-qt libk3b6 libk3b6-extracodecs libkabcommon4 libkcddb4 libkdepim4 libkleo4
  libkonq5 libkonqsidebarplugin4 libkontactinterfaces4 libkopete4 libkorundum4-ruby1.8 libkpgp4 libksieve4 liblancelot0 libmimelib4 libsmokekde4-2 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-ffmpeg
  libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x nvidia-185-kernel-source nvidia-185-libvdpau nvidia-glx-185 okular okular-extra-backends openoffice.org-kde phonon-backend-xine plasma-dataengines-addons
  plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-scriptengine-python plasma-widget-facebook plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widget-googlecalendar plasma-widget-indicatordisplay plasma-widget-kimpanel
  plasma-widget-kubuntu-qa-feedback plasma-widget-lancelot plasma-widget-networkmanagement plasma-widget-quickaccess plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace printer-applet python-kde4 quassel
  software-properties-kde system-config-printer-kde systemsettings ubufox update-manager-kde update-notifier-kde usb-creator-kde userconfig
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nvidia-190-kernel-source nvidia-190-libvdpau nvidia-glx-190
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 125 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.8MB of archives.
After this operation, 258MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Old 10-27-09, 11:19 AM   #3
packermann

You are trying to install the distribution-specific packages. If the guys at ubuntu f*cked up the package, you should ask them. If you want to use the latest driver from nvidia, purge all nvidia-packages from your system, download the driver from nvidias ftp and compile it (aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` and then run the package). If you still will have problems, this forum should be the absolut right place to ask
packermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 04:30 PM   #4
GiorgosKo

1. ubuntu follows a 6-month release schedule. Backported applications are usually not supported (by policy).

2. Please also consider that libvdpau is a work in progress and patches to video playing software (like mplayer) are constantly being submitted. Therefore it is outside of the scope of the distro to fully support every version

3. May be you should consider taking your graphics and video acceleration packages from a specialized ppa, like this one: https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa
GiorgosKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 10:36 AM   #5
psychok9

@packermann
I don't want install nVidia binary because it make more problems with kernel updates and I like update from repository automatically, when released.
And with nVidia PPA I've get all-best-in
@GiorgosKo
I've used "https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa" for this update, and "karmic" drivers repository/release from it.

If the problem it's only KDE related, I hope KDE guys will fix it
Thanks anyway.
Old 10-29-09, 06:59 AM   #6
mdriftmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychok9 View Post
@packermann
I don't want install nVidia binary because it make more problems with kernel updates and I like update from repository automatically, when released.
And with nVidia PPA I've get all-best-in
@GiorgosKo
I've used "https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa" for this update, and "karmic" drivers repository/release from it.

If the problem it's only KDE related, I hope KDE guys will fix it
Thanks anyway.
You'll have to wait until your distribution builds cleanly new nvidia debs for your distribution.

Currently, Debian doesn't have test builds for 190... cycle of nvidia drivers. As 190.42 moves to release they will get it into Experimental, then Unstable and eventually move to testing with the final stable release.

Those drivers will get tested against KDE 4.3.3 by the time this driver is released.
mdriftmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:57 AM   #7
xianthax

this problem is all over the ubuntu forums, don't have a link handy but google is your friend.

the basic problem as i remember is that there is a dependency chain that runs back to the nvidia 185 package being required for one of the xine packages which in turn is required for some of the kde core packages...

so yea, installing 190 from that ppa will remove kde core and thus break a metric ton of crap if your a kde user and yes its the package maintainers problem to fix.

suddenly the kernel update issues don't seem so bad eh?
xianthax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 04:12 PM   #8
Alejandro Nova

1. KILL that PPA. The source of this issue is neither nVidia nor Ubuntu, it's the PPA.
2. Replace it with this PPA.

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/thefirstm/karmic-testing/ubuntu karmic main
3. Purge any nvidia-190 packages, if you have installed any.
4. Install these packages.

Code:
nvidia-glx-190
nvidia-settings-190
nvidia-190-kernel-source
nvidia-190-modaliases
nvidia-190-libvdpau
5. Enjoy your nVidia-190 drivers!
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-09, 04:27 PM   #9
flibblesan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
1. KILL that PPA. The source of this issue is neither nVidia nor Ubuntu, it's the PPA.
2. Replace it with this PPA.

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/thefirstm/karmic-testing/ubuntu karmic main
3. Purge any nvidia-190 packages, if you have installed any.
4. Install these packages.

Code:
nvidia-glx-190
nvidia-settings-190
nvidia-190-kernel-source
nvidia-190-modaliases
nvidia-190-libvdpau
5. Enjoy your nVidia-190 drivers!
That repo breaks gstreamer due to upgrading libavutil
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote