Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-28-03, 01:34 PM   #1
redhatnoobie

Default new kernel and linux

hi me the noob again
anyone know a detailed way of reconfiguring the new kernel update so that nvidia drivers for fx series will work..
i know i have to turn off x server but i do not know how to modify the kernel to make the nvidia driver work.
and where do i go from here..
im so confused thanks fo ryour help guys, andf girls.
redhatnoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 01:35 PM   #2
redhatnoobie

Default new kernel and nvidia

the heading should say new kernel and nvidia
oops..
Old 06-28-03, 04:11 PM   #3
bwkaz

So, err, at the risk of being dumb, what's not working?

Did you, by any chance, install one of RedHat's kernel updates, then try to reinstall your nVidia driver without upgrading your kernel-source? If you update your kernel, you have to boot to it, and install the new kernel-source, to get the driver to install.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 04:47 PM   #4
redhatnoobie

theses are the steps i have done and what my problem entails
1.installed SuSE Linux 8.2(this is the only linux on my system)
2.during update SuSE updated the kernel.
3.i downloaded the nvidia driver for suse/fx5200
4.tried to install new driver for fx5200 and it stated i need to turn off x server
5.turned off x server
6.install then proceeded to tell me and i quote
"ERROR: unable to find the kernel header fields for current running kernel; make sure you have 'kernel-source' rpm installed.If you know the correct headrs installed include a path with the '--kernel-include-path' command line option
install has failed please seefiles /var/log yadydaydaydaydaydayda
for details- you may find suggestions"

this is all greek to me and im american lol
if you can help
My error log is attached
thank you for every
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (2.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 06-28-03, 07:14 PM   #5
bwkaz

There is only one driver; the fact that you have an FX5200 doesn't affect it.

But anyway, you need to install the kernel sources from SuSE. Talk to them; I have no idea where you would look to get them (though you could try on your SuSE CDs for a start... ).
Old 06-28-03, 07:19 PM   #6
redhatnoobie

thanks
i did that as well but im still waiting to here back from them.its been 2 days love the product but man support is kinda laggin.
thanks
Old 06-28-03, 09:37 PM   #7
LinuxHatesMe

I'm just a noob so correct me if I'm wrong. Sounds like the install failed because it NEEDS the headers to install a module to the kernel for the drivers. The new installer for 4363 automatically did this and I already had the kernel headers installed so it brought up no mention of needing the headers. Not sure 'exactly' what the kernel headers do but I would assume they are needed to recompile the kernel after the module for the drivers is added to it. Bwkaz HAD already, from what I assume, correctly answered and said you need them but I wanted to elaborate to; one, pass on the info I've recently learned and two, confirm the recently learned info I now have IS in fact correct. So don't think I'm trying to outdo you Bwkaz.
LinuxHatesMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-03, 01:05 PM   #8
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by LinuxHatesMe
Not sure 'exactly' what the kernel headers do but I would assume they are needed to recompile the kernel after the module for the drivers is added to it.
Close, but not quite.

The kernel's headers are needed so that the kernel module is built using the right function calls to do different things. For example, if the kernel that you're running uses devfs, then the nVidia module needs to call devfs_register_chrdev and devfs_unregister_chrdev. If you aren't using devfs, then it only needs to call register_chrdev and unregister_chrdev (or something like that; I'm too lazy to look up the real function names -- -- but they're different depending on configuration).

These functions do approximately the same thing (initialize the /dev/nvidiactl and /dev/nvidia0 device files), but the module has to do different things depending on the rest of the kernel.

The kernel header files change depending on the configuration, too, so the kernel module can figure out this setting (among others) based on the header files.

This is also the reason that mismatched header files cause unresolved symbols -- if your header files are configured for devfs, but your running kernel isn't, then the header files will make the nVidia kernel module try to call devfs_register_chrdev (or whatever it is), which doesn't actually exist since the kernel was compiled without devfs support. So you get an unresolved symbol.

The Linux kernel isn't recompiled after the module, either. The module is compiled, copied to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/video, and added to the list of available modules using depmod. At that point, it can be inserted into the kernel with no other changes (assuming the sources were correct, and none of the symbols are unresolved).

Quote:
So don't think I'm trying to outdo you Bwkaz.
No big deal, it's not like it'd bother me if you were.

Old 06-29-03, 02:52 PM   #9
redhatnoobie

i klike knowledgeable people.
could you guys tell me what FAQ or readme or website would have a good article on linux kernel i would like to learn more thanks.

SuSE still hasnt got back to me about the nvidia driver install but i guess it is the weekend..

knowledge is power
Old 06-29-03, 05:33 PM   #10
bwkaz

Well... I'm not quite sure where I picked it up from. Most of it was probably from building these kernel modules (and others, too, like the Alsa drivers), and just watching what commands got run from the various Makefiles. Couple that with the gcc info page to find out what the various options are actually doing.

And, mess around with the kernel source tree, too. Figure out how the top-level Makefile generates files like include/linux/version.h, and the others that it creates.

That was pretty much what I ended up doing -- and it took a couple of years. Perhaps there's a better way to do it, though, I don't know. There are some guides to some of the kernel internals (stuff like the Linux Kernel Module Programmer's Guide, the LKMPG) available.

There is also a Documentation subdirectory in the kernel sources themselves that has some useful information in it (esp. Documentation/Changes and Documentation/modules.txt).
Old 06-29-03, 06:33 PM   #11
redhatnoobie

thanx
im starting to see why linux admins make more than microsoft admins. lol.
i do love linux so far very nice tools available
but it has been a brainteaser with not many shortcuts..
geese i still love it though..
SuSE LINUX ROCKS
Old 06-29-03, 11:54 PM   #12
LinuxHatesMe

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LinuxHatesMe
Not sure 'exactly' what the kernel headers do but I would assume they are needed to recompile the kernel after the module for the drivers is added to it.

Bwkaz: Close, but not quite.
I knew it was something like that. Thanks for correcting me. I must learn 10 new things a day on linux. It's pretty exciting stuff. Hopefully soon I'll be able to dwelve into the inner workings such as kernels and functions of certain daemons soon. Configuring everything and customizing is turning into a big deal as it is. FUN STUFF THO!!!

Quote:
quote:So don't think I'm trying to outdo you Bwkaz.

Bwkaz: No big deal, it's not like it'd bother me if you were.
Very mature-like attitude. I'm happy to have been corrected by you.

Quote:
thanx
im starting to see why linux admins make more than microsoft admins. lol.
i do love linux so far very nice tools available
but it has been a brainteaser with not many shortcuts..
geese i still love it though..
edit: (insert favorite distro here) /edit: LINUX ROCKS
Ditto. Hopefully one day I can join the list of those linux admins. = )
LinuxHatesMe is offline   Reply With Quote