Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-09, 04:34 PM   #61
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Default Re: Torchlight - A review from a Diablo 2 fan

I've played over an hour and am enjoying it. It's very similar to Mythos which I enjoyed. I like the combat and the skills I've used early as destroyer. The music is great obviously.

I think it does lack a little bit of character, doesn't seem to be defined. Things like NPCs could have full voices instead of just scrolling text, and what about some moving art images when they are reading the story sections at the start.

The labels overlap each other when you alt the loot on the ground. I consider this a major bug because it's annoying as hell, good news is the Runic guys wanted to fix this but ran out of time so patch should be coming shortly.
Old 10-30-09, 07:08 PM   #62
dikinher
Grab em!

I am trying out the demo. So far I like it. But I don't like the look of the Destroyer. He looks like a Sinbad character.
Old 10-30-09, 11:50 PM   #63
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Glad I bought this game, it's fun... and better than Diablo 2... really like being able to have your pet go up and sell stuff...

Feels strange using a gun in this kind of game...

Fishing is gay, just a waste of time...

Couple questions though:
1. Where is the save game kept, I'd like to back it up. Too many games have messed up the save game and I've lost characters in the past...
2. Equipping 2 hand guns seems to do the same damage as one, is there a special way to use them better?

My low level biatch...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 11:58 PM   #64
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Spent probably about 8 hours into it now, its a great time killer, but really lacks any kind of memorable experience. Afaik there is only one town, the town you start in, and the entire game you just travel down..down into the world. This is tunnel vision at its worse, and makes it very hard to envision the world as anything more then a postage stamp.

Due to this fact, the quest in the game are anemic, and quite dull. Theres only a dozen or so people in the town and 2 of your 4 quest chains simply reward you for playing the game. 1 is a robot who writes about you killing standered bosses that you encounter on the main quest, and the other is a guy who opens portals to a randomly created dungeon were you fight to the end of it and pickup a fabled treasure he seeks. Of any rpg I have played, the game gets an F in questing.

Progression is a bit better. I havn't felt at all that the difficulty ramps up and my character felt undergeared. It would be nice if the game would drop items that were more usable to you though. I can help but feel the game failed itself when I was running around with a 144 dps bow (blue) which droped after I had been playing with a 114dps bow for many hours, and then about an hour after..an orange gun (a hand cannon, appropriately named, its even 1h!) that was 260dps dropped. There is really no excuse why I was not given gradual upgrades inbetween in a single player game.

Still in the end...the part the game caters to best, running through dungions, blowing up anything that moves real good, and collecting loot is its best draw. Also the main story line is somewhat interesting.. atleast enough to keep me playing. The game has a ton of expandability here, and is really polished, so heres hoping we see more of this game in the future.
Old 10-31-09, 12:00 AM   #65
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Vanzagar, it is located in C:\Users\[logon]\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

I have this location on my dekstop so I can transfer my saves between my laptop and main computer easily.
Old 10-31-09, 12:25 AM   #66
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Vanzagar, it is located in C:\Users\[logon]\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

I have this location on my dekstop so I can transfer my saves between my laptop and main computer easily.
Ah, close... found it here:

C:\Documents and Settings\RCBBH\Application Data\runic games\torchlight

Thanks,

V
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 01:46 AM   #67
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Played some more, I like the loot system but there are some problems with the game. NPCs become very uninteresting quickly when you just have "hello" then a wall of text. There doesn't seem to be as much character to the game as Diablo games.

Inventory is not really my cup of tea. I don't really like using one item per slot. I do believe big items should take up more spots, use a system like Diablo. Basically it gives you an idea of the item type straight away. What the hell is with GEMS, they are TINY, talk about hard to distinguish between different level gems..
Old 10-31-09, 02:23 AM   #68
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Nut, I miss diablos inventory in that its annoying when you have lots of gems, and they take up as much space in inventory as a 2 hander. However years of warcraft makes the current inventory easy to work with.

Old 11-16-09, 12:49 PM   #69
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Alright guys. Game of the year. Who is still playing it? I mean, its such an amazing game, with infinite playability that surely after a short 2 weeks 1 person should be playing it at least.

Anyone?
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:02 PM   #70
kazna

You attempt to write a review of a full game based on a demo?
kazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:12 PM   #71
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Its a gift. I call it the "piece of **** game" detector. It works rather well.

And why would I waste my money on something that is clearly bad? All of the people who were defending this sorry game, have already quit it. So I'd say my detector still works as good as it ever has.
Old 11-16-09, 01:13 PM   #72
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Looks like Ninjaman09 quit the game. Too bad. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961036810