Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-31-09, 02:16 PM   #1
Dendy

Default X server fails to start with dual GTX295

I have SLI system with two Nvidia GTX295 cards mounted on ASUS M4N82 motherboard. This system, works without problems on Window 7.

I have tried 3 Linux distros: openSUSE 11.1, openSUSE 11.2 RC1 and current Ubuntu 9.10 (all 64 bit) with two versions of Nvidia drivers: previous 185.x and current 190.42. In all cases X server failed to start when both cards are enabled.

Currently I have found the only solution for myself: to take off 8-pin power cable from secondary GTX295 to disable it. After that all systems with both drivers (185 and 190) boots X server well with hardware acceleration enabled and works with no problems.

I expect you can give me solution what I can type into X or nvidia module config file to make my system bootable with both cards enabled, because turning off power cable each time booting Linux is far from ideal. I even agree to disable SLI and secondary card in Linux at all for now somehow but at software level, not hardware.

Here 4 bug reports generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh tool on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit: with single and dual cards and with 185 and 190 drivers:
Dendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 03:58 PM   #2
gbil

Default Re: X server fails to start with dual GTX295

try under the device section to choose explicitly one device using the following line when using SLI:

BusID "PCI:0a:00.0"
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 09:49 PM   #3
Dendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil View Post
try under the device section to choose explicitly one device using the following line when using SLI:

Thanks! Digging nvidia log I have found that nvidia module have located more than one primary adapter and uses dummy policy: to use first adapter from ordered PCI devices list - and this was the upper GTX295 while monitor connected by default to bottom GTX295. Attaching monitor after the X startup gives nothing, so I have connected monitor to the upper card and blindly typed: start gdm.

I will try now your solution with explicit BusID, but anyway I suppose nvidia-xconfig should do this by default without additional options. Please help me, what exact options I should use for nvidia-xconfig to obtain X config file with correct primary adapter?
Old 10-31-09, 10:06 PM   #4
Dendy

Quote:
Okay, playing with options I have found that correct options for Device section should be:

BusID "PCI:11:0:0"

Now X loads on primary card where monitor is attached to and looks like no errors now in nvidia log file. So I am going to test SLI performance.
Old 11-01-09, 04:53 AM   #5
gbil

This is strange anyway, a couple of years ago when I was using SLI this option was needed for the card to works but there are reported cases in this forum that some people had SLI working without this option.

@Nvidia: can I suggest that you make nvidia-settings put this option by default
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 08:45 AM   #6
Dendy

Quote:
@Nvidia: can I suggest that you make nvidia-settings put this option by default
Agree. I suppose nvidia-xconfig can definitely detect which card should be primary depending on where monitor attached to. But now it produces very simple xorg.conf without this information. If Nvidia thinks that this task should be solved by software manager for particular Linux distro - at least openSUSE and Ubuntu do noting after installation from package manager. User installs Nvidia drivers and got black screen because X screen bounded to separate device.