Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-01-09, 10:32 PM   #1
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Windows install smooth? It's a NIGHTMARE!

First of all, I have Windows 7 Pro OEM x64, received and installed on Oct. 28th. (YAY for no tech support!)

I start the installation on a CLEAN HD. Everything's humming along. I enter my CD Key and when I press Next I get a bluescreen! It doesn't even explain why! All I know is the stop code was 0x0000007e.

Stupid me installed it on the wrong partition, so I deleted that installation and put it on c:. Everything goes well, it detects everything, but it feels sluggish.

I install chipset drivers directly from Gigabyte. Upon closing the install, BLUESCREEN! IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It didn't install a thing. Upon 2nd try I get the chipset drivers installed. Success.

Next I try the nV drivers. It installs ok, but upon exiting the installer ANOTHER bluescreen! PAGE_FAULT_NOT_IN_PAGED_AREA. Again, 2nd try gets them installed.

To make this shorter, EVERY single driver I install bluescreens on me, and on 2nd try are successful.

Now I install the latest game I have NFS Shift. It installs fine. Patches fine upon entering the game, BLUESCREEN! Ready for this? It BSOD's without warning, and without cause! I always get this (in event viewer):
Kernel-Power Event ID 41 0x0000007e (this has happened 5 times now)

And today I let it idle while I watched an NFL game, I come back and move the mouse and get a BSOD! SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

In Event Viewer I have counted and logged many errors and critical errors.

SYSTEM ERRORS:
Kernel-Power Event ID 41 0x0000007e (7 events, same BSOD, all critical)
Unexpected shutdown Event ID 6008 (5 events, all errors, but non critical)
0x00000050 WER Event ID 1001 (7 events, critical)
I have also had BSOD that it didn't record. NTFS.SYS

APPLICATIONS:
0xc0000005 fault in DWM.exe
0x80000003 fault in shift.exe (nfs game, 5 instances)
Event ID 6e4 Application hang shift.exe (resulted in BSOD)
Event ID be0 Application hang shift.exe (BSOD)
0xc0000005 fault in MpCmdRun.exe
0xc0000005 fault in mscorsvw.exe

On top of this, I update windows, and it renders my realtek gigabit LAN useless, it won't start (after 3 times uninstalling the software for it, it's back).

SO yeah, I cannot endorse Windows 7 at this time. I will be installing the same OS (different key) on my sister's tomorrow. I hope it's better than my experience. She has Intel, I have AMD. From Oct 28th till now I have had approximately 17 BSOD's. YAY me!

I have read up a little bit on some of these errors, and it points to a failing UPS system. I tried it, and it works fine. I even drained the battery by letting my monitor suck the power down.

Anything I can do or should I re-install? my first install I left everything in tact, didn't unplug any hardware.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 11:08 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows install smooth? It's a NIGHTMARE!

Wow. That *really* sucks.

Only experience with 7 that I have is setting up the display models for our sales floor at work. Though I should be receiving my copy soon enough, and pray I don't encounter the problems that you have.

Good luck, bro.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 06:48 AM   #3
jlippo

Try to upgrade the bios of your motherboard.
Mine win7 did some serious random crash/hang issues, until I did it for my Abit ab9pro.

If that doesn't help run trough mem-tester, check HD and if nothing else works then test with an other power supply.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 06:57 AM   #4
Revs

Undo any overclocking while doing the install. Don't know why but it caused problems for me.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 07:12 AM   #5
K007

i never use windows update to update drivers. i did it once to update my realtek lan driver on vista and it just totally fubar it.

Best to just go with official drivers from the sites.

But yea undo any overclocks/etc. Just install as normal. Then mess around with it after.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 07:15 AM   #6
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
i never use windows update to update drivers. i did it once to update my realtek lan driver on vista and it just totally fubar it.

Best to just go with official drivers from the sites.
Yes
Old 11-02-09, 07:53 AM   #7
eidy

Hi there !

I've installed windows more time than humanly possible to count (starting from W'95 "era")

So my advices for your situation are :

1. Proceed with A CLEAN REINSTALL (master some nerve at least for this one more time ... )

2. First take everything out but the video card (if it's not integrated). Unplug everything else (including all periferics : lan, usb). Only the keyboard, mouse and monitor should be linked to your sistem. Just to be on the safe side ...

3. Also before reinstalling back-up any / all data as the hdd should be completely wiped out of (old) partitions (clean as a baby - one single unpartioned / unformated space)

4. You could also try to update tha motherboard's bios to the latest (proven) stable version (not beta, unless absolutely necesary). It should be safe and could be necesary for some drivers than Windows 7 needs working in a certain way (ex. : sleep, hibernation, battery management, etc.). It would be better to cover this part rather than ignore it ...

5. PROCEED WITH THE INSTALL PROCESS. WARNING ! : if you have any hdd's set to work in raid mode (0, 1, 5, etc.) you should have the latest driver for them for W7 at hand (floppy or usb flash) ESPECIALLY IF THAT RAID MATRIX WILL CONTAIN THE WINDOWS ITSELF !. DO NOT LET W7 INSTALL IT'S OWN DRIVERS FOR RAID !!! Also you could disconect all other hdd's that are not essential (raid should be ok if you connect them EXACTLY HOW THEY WERE, hdd to coresponding port). They will come up ok pluging them in AFTER the windows would be up and running - NOT "hot pluging" of coarse. ALSO PREPARE ALL THE DRIVERS FOR YOUR COMPONENTS ON A CLEAN USB FLASH FOR LATER ON (motherboard's driver should be extracted as an archive in a separate folder - see later explanations).

6. When you get to the screen where a partition should be chosen or created (in your case created, from scratch) ONLY CHOOSE TO CREATE THE PARTITION "C" - for the OS (W7). DO NOT CREATE AT THIS POINT ANY OTHER PARTITIONS !!! Leave the rest of the hdd unpartioned for now.

7. Finish installing Windows 7. DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING YET !!! (no drivers, no aplications). JUST CHECK IN THE DEVICE MANAGER WHAT INSTALLED ON W7 DRIVERS AND WHAT REMAINED WITHOUT DRIVERS.

8. ONLY install the latest WHQL drivers for those devices that were left out by w7. Most likely the video card and some networking and chipset components. DO NOT THE INSTALL DRIVERS FOR YOU MOTHERBOARD BY RUNNING THE SETUP. We will install them manualy just to see exactly where the problem(s) will apear. The video card should be installed the "normal way" : by running the setup. I recomend installing the video card first ...

9. Copy the extracted the contents of the motherboard's driver from the usb flash to hdd (make a folder an put it on desktop, for easy acces). Then from the device manager's window simply choose to update drivers for each "unknown" or "not installed" device pointing each time through "browse option" to the extracted driver's files (desktop).

10. Your installation should now be complete. (Minimal specs installation)

11. Shut down the computer and connect all other components that you initially unpluged ONE BY ONE, NOT ALL AT ONCE. Obviously you must do a shut down before each main component (audio, raid card, hdd's). Periferics will not require you to shut down (modems, switches, routers, joystick, console, etc.). START WITH THE MAIN COMPONENTS FIRST !!! preferably any other hdds. Monitor closely the sistem's behaviour on each and every step. If you encounter a troublesome step try to undo it (unninstall and unplug) and then skip to other components. Hope everything goes smoothly ... as it should.

12. If everything installed fine (no errors or slugishness so far) than you can start to install things like : antivirus, firewall and any other protection you might want to use BEFORE YOU CONNECT TO THE LAN / INTERNET. Do not install any other aplications (all those drivers and extracted drivers should have been already available on a clean usb flash from BEFORE THE WHOLE INSTALLATION PROCESS OR FROM ANOTHER !CLEAN! COMPUTER)

13. Connect to the internet. Update the antivirus, firewall and any other security programs you installed THEN PROCEED WITH UPDATING THE WINDOWS ITSELF. Windows updates will kick in regardless BUT IT STILL NEEDS YOUR "OK" FOR INSTALLING THE DOWNLOADED UPDATES. So refrain from that "ok" until all protection software is fully updated and operational.

14. Update Windows. This will some times corect bugs and faulty drivers within windows and probably solve some of your incompatibilities or errors. Only when Windows get fully updated only then we can proceed to fine tune drivers that do not work (or do not work as they should) and appeal to manufacturer's drivers. THIS IS WHY WE MANUALY INSTALLED ONLY THE MISSING DRIVERS AFTER THE FIRST BOOT ... this and for per stage setup monitoring purposes, of coarse.

15. If all goes well up to here you NOW READY TO INSTALL ANY APPLICATION YOU NEED / USE as the sistem would be complete and solid. Recomandation : run some intense burning or benchmarking application to test general system stability. HEATING CAN ALSO BE A CAUSE FOR BLUESCREENS ! So get that of your mind with some tests used at least several hours continuously and maybe even in parallel (multiple tests at once, especially if one test doesn't fully stress the machine)

If anything is trying to escape logic please point them to me eidythedancer@yahoo.com
eidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 02:39 PM   #8
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Undo any overclocking while doing the install. Don't know why but it caused problems for me.
I've had disk reading errors when installing OC'd in the past but no such problems this time,

Should I re-install 7 un-OC'd just incase there's some damaged code in there somewhere?

Old 11-02-09, 03:04 PM   #9
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
I've had disk reading errors when installing OC'd in the past but no such problems this time,

Should I re-install 7 un-OC'd just incase there's some damaged code in there somewhere?
I would. I've installed other o/s on an o/c machine and had issues, and once I un-o/c, and reinstall, it was good to go.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 10:11 PM   #10
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Ok, let me clear things up. I AM NOT Overclocking, EVERYTHING is bone stock.

K007, I learned my lesson there. I won't be updating drivers from MS.

Now for the funny part. Let me explain.

I have all my backup files on a spare HD (IDE), my primary HD is SATA. I "had" my IDE hd, connected with a CD-ROM drive. When I took out the IDE hd everything has been peachy.

Has to be some sort of problem with chipset drivers. I was actually excited, because the RC version worked wonders. Retail is well, it needs work.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 03:39 AM   #11
Revs

So you managed a good install?

I forgot to mention. When I installed 7 with my other HD's connected it installed the boot section to my storage drive . I don't know what it is with installing 7, but it seems to be very fussy about hardware until the install is complete, then all is well again. I had to unplug all but my main drive and CD drive and un-OC everything to get a good install. There are obviously issues with it. I keep meaning to send feedback to MS about it actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
That's your call, dude. If it seems OK I'd stick with it and see how it goes .
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 03:44 AM   #12
K007

i had no issues on my end..i had all 3 drives + dvd.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote