Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-08-09, 04:11 PM   #1
davelaser

Default H.264 and patents

This may not be the right place to ask this, but it just occurred to me and seems to be an interesting idea.

If my understanding is correct, in modern nvidia GPUs, when using VDPAU the entire H.264 bitstream is passed to the nvidia driver to handle as it chooses, is this correct? Now nvidia have presumably paid the appropriate licenses for their H.264 decoding implementation... with that license paid, does that mean that decoding H.264 using VDPAU and open source tools like mplayer/ffmpeg is completely legal and free even in countries where software patents apply and even if the user has not paid a license fee?

Sam
davelaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 05:28 PM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: H.264 and patents

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelaser View Post
This may not be the right place to ask this, but it just occurred to me and seems to be an interesting idea.

If my understanding is correct, in modern nvidia GPUs, when using VDPAU the entire H.264 bitstream is passed to the nvidia driver to handle as it chooses, is this correct? Now nvidia have presumably paid the appropriate licenses for their H.264 decoding implementation... with that license paid, does that mean that decoding H.264 using VDPAU and open source tools like mplayer/ffmpeg is completely legal and free even in countries where software patents apply and even if the user has not paid a license fee?

Sam
Yes, but you'd have to patch all software decoders out of them.

P.S: IANAL
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote