Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-04-09, 12:56 PM   #145
Slybri

Default Re: Official Dragon Age: Origins Feedback Thread

This is something I'd never thought I'd see on the PC again, a big budget computer RPG with no hint of consolization.

It's basically NWN 3, just without the licensed D&D setting. The combat is more like coaching a football game: call the formation, protect the QB (mage), call a timeout here and there, score. When I survive a big fight I feel really proud of my team. That's good gameplay.

The graphics are kinda weak, I agree. It feels like an updated NWN 2 engine, but the animations are great and there's a lot of detail in places. (Maybe too much detail in the female characters without their gear on.) And I'm playing it in stereo 3D with the vision glasses, which always makes up for weak graphics. The first time I saw the bridge of Ostragar my jaw dropped. It was like seeing the grand canyon. This game definitely must be played in 3D.

From the "origins" part in the title, it looks like they are setting up their own Star Wars or LOTR style epic franchise. I hope they remain as faithful to the PC platform with the whole series as they did with this game.

You can tell a lot of time and love went into making this game and I'm gonna put a lot of time and love into playing it.

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 12:57 PM   #146
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odral View Post
I actually think the walk/run animation's are very smooth and realistic looking, are we playing the same game here? By the way awesome game overall so far
don't mind him, that is just what he does. writes bull**** in every thread just to get people mad. typical of a troll.
Old 11-04-09, 01:02 PM   #147
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
don't mind him, that is just what he does. writes bull**** in every thread just to get people mad. typical of a troll.
Newsflash: Some people have different opinions and standards than you!
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:24 PM   #148
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
Welcome the official nvnews DAO Fanboy!

What do you think about the crappy crappy run/walk animation (as seen from behind) of your character? Do you also find that in every other game? Or do you think it's fitting because it's an aaaargpeeegee?

*let's see if I can get you riled up here* :P
To tell you the truth i haven't even used it, so I couldn't tell you. And why, exactly, am I a fanboy? Because i disagree with Mr. Anal and a dude who keeps comparing a single-player rpg to an MMO?

Hardly, I just know ridiculousness when i see it. Want me to load up Crysis and show you character floating in the air, low rez textures in certain areas, enemies with their hands through their bodies,corpses that don't stop moving? Want me to do the same with World of Warcraft? Do you get the point? Even the best looking, highest budget, AAA developer games have these little issues, and anyone anal enough to sit around and take screenshots of each instance could fill up a ****ing photo album with them.

As far as Mr. MMO, it was a valid question. He keeps comparing a single-player rpg to an MMO, and then he bitches about a character system that most rpg fans of loved in one form or another since the dawn of gaming. The is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which if you'd played it puts stat allocation/skills/talents over armor. In fact, like i said, most rpgs do this same thing. I love to see this guys all time favorite rpg list, it's either filled with games that don't use armor as a determining factor in your character or he doesn't play them.

So, yeah, sorry if I'm not being cynical and bitching enough about this game to suit your tastes. There are half a dozen things about this game that these guys could complain about that would make sense, but these two complaints don't and you don't have to be a DAO fanboy to see that.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:30 PM   #149
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
To tell you the truth i haven't even used it, so I couldn't tell you. And why, exactly, am I a fanboy? Because i disagree with Mr. Anal and a dude who keeps comparing a single-player rpg to an MMO?

Hardly, I just know ridiculousness when i see it. Want me to load up Crysis and show you character floating in the air, low rez textures in certain areas, enemies with their hands through their bodies,corpses that don't stop moving? Want me to do the same with World of Warcraft? Do you get the point? Even the best looking, highest budget, AAA developer games have these little issues, and anyone anal enough to sit around and take screenshots of each instance could fill up a ****ing photo album with them.

As far as Mr. MMO, it was a valid question. He keeps comparing a single-player rpg to an MMO, and then he bitches about a character system that most rpg fans of loved in one form or another since the dawn of gaming. The is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which if you'd played it puts stat allocation/skills/talents over armor. In fact, like i said, most rpgs do this same thing. I love to see this guys all time favorite rpg list, it's either filled with games that don't use armor as a determining factor in your character or he doesn't play them.

So, yeah, sorry if I'm not being cynical and bitching enough about this game to suit your tastes. There are half a dozen things about this game that these guys could complain about that would make sense, but these two complaints don't and you don't have to be a DAO fanboy to see that.
Yeah it's funny he complains about the points/stats system even after claiming to have played EQ for so long considering EQ used stats and point allocation ALOT. You could have screwed a character up in the end game if you never put your points in properly throughout the character.
Old 11-04-09, 01:32 PM   #150
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post

I assume I am Mr. Anal? Awesome. BALLS DEEP SON!
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:34 PM   #151
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
I assume I am Mr. Anal? Awesome. BALLS DEEP SON!
Nope, you're not.
Old 11-04-09, 01:35 PM   #152
methimpikehoses

Well, I passed the Harrowing, betrayed my friend and his girlfriend, and joined the Grey Wardens. Things are looking up for old Dreyden.

Old 11-04-09, 01:37 PM   #153
|MaguS|

Im going the nice guy way this play through... gonna be myself the second playthrough as a caster.
Old 11-04-09, 01:50 PM   #154
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

My Elven guy is a nice fellow, very persuasive and diplomatic. He also has a thing for big human booty.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:54 PM   #155
Phyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
My Elven guy is a nice fellow, very persuasive and diplomatic. He also has a thing for big human booty.
Is this his theme song?

Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 02:09 PM   #156
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

It wasn't, but it is now.

BTW How do you play this with 360 controller?

Attacks nekrosoft's weak spot for massive damage
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote