Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-03-09, 02:57 PM   #61
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Official Dragon Age: Origins Feedback Thread

Impressions of the menu system only as my DLC downloads:

1) I like that the hard rock of the commercials is replaced by a soft celtic lullaby in the opening videos.

2) The DLC store works in-game and seems perfect and PC-oriented... make sure you restart the game after registering keys though, I didn't have free access to content until I did so.

3) I expect to hear a LOT of complaints about this from cranky PC gamers in the coming year: the store uses a point based system like Xbox Live.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 03:04 PM   #62
|MaguS|

The question about the point based system is, is it a rip off like Xbox Live or is it good?

Like what are the points cost vs the points value? Like on XBLive you can't buy 800 points so if something costs that much you have to buy 1000 points and have 200 points rot, if you wana buy another 800 point arcade game you have to buy another 1000 and then have 400 points rot...
Old 11-03-09, 03:47 PM   #63
LurkerLito

Got it installed, can't play it cause the social site says the serial number is invalid. This is from Impulse BTW. Apparently it is a big problem at bioware's social site. Worst launch ever.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 03:57 PM   #64
LurkerLito

Nope I stay away from MMO games now. EQ1 my first and last MMO.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
Old 11-03-09, 04:03 PM   #65
methimpikehoses

Steam version is unlocked and working.
Old 11-03-09, 04:28 PM   #66
dikinher
Grab em!

Need to see screen shots asap. Chop chop, people!
Old 11-03-09, 04:37 PM   #67
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Got it installed, can't play it cause the social site says the serial number is invalid. This is from Impulse BTW. Apparently it is a big problem at bioware's social site. Worst launch ever.
You don't need the social site or anything like that to play the normal game, only the DLC. Also, my DLC said "error invalid key" for every single item, but then below that it also said "content enabled" and when I restarted the game it all worked perfectly.

I played a couple hours, got my city elf her first weapon... have to go to school now, can't wait to play more. Quick first impressions:

1) Very smooth graphical style which PC gamers should love, me included... performance seems perfect, max settings with no hiccups. Some minor issues like feet going too far into the ground and shimmering metal, but it all looks fine.

2) Combat seems just like we all expected it to... I put points into bows at first, but then changed to dual weilded daggers... I am always so indecisive.

3) Dialogue is a liiiiiiitle chopped-up feeling, the branching comments not blending together as well as Mass Effect and KotOR perhaps, but it still works great. The story and tone are indeed VERY hardcore, at least in the City Elf origin.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 04:38 PM   #68
DennisK4

Old 11-03-09, 04:39 PM   #69
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Alright, this arrived in my store this morning and I've been glued to my computer for about 5 hours now. Its good... its damn good...but its not great.

Game engine and performance are solid. The engine is a bit dated in that it is very zone based (load screens), no global realtime shadows, no realtime day/night (They actually had to use a streamed movie to do it). However its still nice to look at, everyone is wearing awesome looking armor thats shiney where its shiney, and actually does a good job in not "stretching" plate textures during animation.

Story and voice acting are wonderful. Despite starting out offering little more then your average DND novel in characters and setting, the game starts throwing story bits at you that are pretty interesting. Voice acting is top notch, and I rarly found anyone annoying. Lip synching is still a little bit of an issue, but a very minor issue. The lines of diologue responses given to you are quite well done and you are rarly left not speaking your mind. Saddly your character never speaks in the game which sucks because the game constantly does a close up on you when you are given the lines of responses and you totaly expect him/her to say it when you click one of them. Oh yea, the character creation is imo one of the best ever. not to many settings, not to little.

My biggest complaint, and its a moderate one, is gameplay, and actually attacking and being attacked. As you level up, you have a stat table and 2 skill/talent tables you put points into. The stat tables has your str, dex, will, ect. and once again I am left confused and afraid that I am not distributing my points properly, not knowing if I am putting enough points in my key stats and never being able to get them back. All MMOs put these stats on the gear you are supposed to wear, and imo that should be how it should work.

The 2 other tables is your now standered talent pane in which you obtain new class abilities (or strengthen old ones), and the other is where you can obtain and increase global abilities like poison making and conversation skills. The talent pane isn't bad, infact its pretty good. Unlike WoW where you need to start on 2 specific talents to go down, DA has many talent strings that are only 5 talents deep, and they are all organized to specific areas (warrior has sections for 2h, dual wielding, sword and shield, each with 3-5 strings of 5 talents for adding new attack types and increasing effectiveness). I haven't found if we can reset this yet, but for the most part the talents are well descriptive.

The second pane is like your trade skills, and you can become an herbalist, poison master, linguist, ect. Although only rogues have lock picking. There is alot on this pane and I cant seem to think of the others...

Now for fighting. For sarters, the game makes very little innovation here. Unlike aion who skillfully implemented combos and attacks into only a few buttons, DA piles all your new found attacks and stances onto the action bar like no tomorrow. It also has no qualms about coloring them the same making it hard to quickly locate and press the right one. Also it's very hard to enjoy your new found attacks as they will be on stupidly long 10 and 20 seconds cooldowns, and eat up most of your stamina Rather then be normal attacks like aion, and wow, these attacks are specials and shouldnt be wasted. boooaring. Also the game stupidly makes armor cause penalties against stamina regeneration. There are 10 million other ways to prevent a class from using the wrong types of armor, this is one of the worst. The reason this is annoying is because my warrior who is a tank warrior, with sword and shield talents, has allready found armor that she can't wear because it is to heavy. This leads me back to wondering if I have my stats done correctly.

Then there is the way mobs are encountered and attacked... and this is where DA departs from todays MMOs and says hello to mass effect. The game is very LINEAR. You might be given 2 or 3 paths in an area, but you wont be running accross any bodies of water, or jumping over any twigs. Thats right, no jump button, so if there is a tree root sprawled along the ground, you cant cross it. Cliff? no go. You encounter mobs in packs, and they don't patrol. I have had some success in splitting them up by telling my group to stay, agroing some and running back to group, but I would hazard a guess the game more intends for you to fight the group all at once, which leads my to my second big beef.

Classes are more or less like WoW, warriors can be tanks, rogues not so much, and mages are like sieves. If you play a range/mage, you are expected to carry around atleast a tank in your party. Now much like mystic and torchwood, you are given a big dog to join you as a party member, and you can upgrade his stats to be a mini tank if you need the few times you run off solo, so if you choose a mage, you wont be expected to tank. However, unlike WoW, you are often put up against groups of mobs larger then your own and warriors are given no abilities to obtain alot of agro and force the mobs to attack you. You do have one ability that adds incentive for the mob you are attacking to attack you, but that dosnt stop the other 5 enemies from targeting your mage. Also right off the bat, the game throws alot of archers into groups, and the basic rule of archers is they do more damage then melee at range to balance out their lack of hp and armor. This means it is imperative that one or two people in your group run through the melee and confront the archers so they stop using their bow. This splits up your group and mean while they get about 8 - 12 seconds (you run like a sloth) of pelting your party un effected, oh yea and your casters are getting thrashed by the melee you ran through.

this...this is not fun. Fights always go badly if you can't some how control the mobs. And with stupidly long cooldowns, you will quickly find yourself clicking on a mob to attack and sitting there waiting while your character kills him with white damage only. Also the game offers up no magic healers from the start (I just picked up a new character but I think shes an archer, not a healer) so you are left healing your group through item pickups.
Old 11-03-09, 04:40 PM   #70
LurkerLito

I am reinstalling now. Can't even run the game cause it was giving me a "Error: Could not connect to EA Core"

Old 11-03-09, 04:56 PM   #71
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

So... this game play like garbage covered in **** covered in molasses? Seems like it would to me. I need to stay awake when playing a game. Not hit the "WIN" button and I just attack everything in sight.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 05:13 PM   #72
|MaguS|

jeffmd, Whya re you comparing it to MMOs at all? It's not one, if anything it should be comapred to NWN and Baldurs Gate...