Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike Dragon Age
Yes I likes 54 77.14%
No I don't likes 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-09, 11:51 AM   #37
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Yes or no. Do you like Dragon Age?

I'm actually of the same opinion as Tygerwoody - the game is very very slow paced almost to the extent of being boring. The story is really what's bothering me the most though and I don't get why they couldn't have gotten a somewhat decent fantasy-writer to do a script for them because the story is downright laughable especially when compared to Mass Effect.
I get that it's great that we get the freedom to do what we want in a game, but when the story is lacking the choices become pointless(*spoilers*Who cares if the prince dies when he's a total douche to begin with?*spoilers*).

Haven't gotten too far though yet so it could still pick up and based on Tygerwoody's latest comment it seems like giving up now would be the wrong choice, but I ain't keeping my hopes up.
Old 11-11-09, 11:57 AM   #38
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I'm actually of the same opinion as Tygerwoody - the game is very very slow paced almost to the extent of being boring. The story is really what's bothering me the most though and I don't get why they couldn't have gotten a somewhat decent fantasy-writer to do a script for them because the story is downright laughable especially when compared to Mass Effect.
I get that it's great that we get the freedom to do what we want in a game, but when the story is lacking the choices become pointless).

Haven't gotten too far though yet so it could still pick up and based on Tygerwoody's latest comment it seems like giving up now would be the wrong choice, but I ain't keeping my hopes up.
So, you got to Ostagar, which is the beginning of the game and long before any real story elements are introduced, and decided the story was boring?

K.

The game isn't for everyone. People who enjoy strong character development and excellent sub-plots will like this game. People who are looking for epic fantasy tale #5994392919 should look elsewhere; the main plot of the game is fairly generic. Still, judging by your "spoiler" comment, you've played the game for like 5 hours tops. Which is less than 5% of the game. It's worth mentioning I was never bored for a second playing this game. Maybe it helps that I can read and sit still for more than 10 seconds though.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 12:01 PM   #39
methimpikehoses

The story and characters are quite good, IMO, though it definitely has many of the familiar fantasy stereotypes. There are also some very original spins on things.

Also, that you have to choose how to compose your party, equip tactics, and equip specialties and skills makes the game very customizable and interesting.
Old 11-11-09, 12:35 PM   #40
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
So, you got to Ostagar, which is the beginning of the game and long before any real story elements are introduced, and decided the story was boring?

K.

The game isn't for everyone. People who enjoy strong character development and excellent sub-plots will like this game. People who are looking for epic fantasy tale #5994392919 should look elsewhere; the main plot of the game is fairly generic. Still, judging by your "spoiler" comment, you've played the game for like 5 hours tops. Which is less than 5% of the game. It's worth mentioning I was never bored for a second playing this game. Maybe it helps that I can read and sit still for more than 10 seconds though.
I just posted that to show how incredibly generic the story is. The whole point of RPGs is the story - if it is boring the game is boring, because who would want to play a game for 100 hours if you don't find the story even remotely interesting? I'm assuming you haven't played many RPGs before this one nor read any fantasy series, because this game doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Diablo or Never winter Nights.
Just to respond to your last comment - I've played many games for hundreds of hours so that just isn't true(the last of which was Mass Effect).
Old 11-11-09, 12:41 PM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
I just posted that to show how incredibly generic the story is. The whole point of RPGs is the story - if it is boring the game is boring, because who would want to play a game for 100 hours if you don't find the story even remotely interesting? I'm assuming you haven't played many RPGs before this one nor read any fantasy series, because this game doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Diablo or Never winter Nights.
Just to respond to your last comment - I've played many games for hundreds of hours so that just isn't true(the last of which was Mass Effect).
All fantasy RPG stories are generic. That's just their nature. Even Mass Effect was very generic. The way they stand out is by having a strong cast of characters and interesting events taking place in the framework of the epic.

If you are actually suggesting that DIABLO* has a more in-depth story than Dragon Age, we have nothing more to discuss. Although it's blatantly obvious that you spent no time with the game at all, despite your "hundreds of hours" claim. Also, Neverwinter Nights' story was just another boring D&D story like all the ****ty D&D novels out there. I enjoyed the game but to say it had a great story is absurd. And yes I've suffered through some bad fantasy novels, but decided to stop reading awful garbage. The only good fantasy novel series I've read was Lord of the Rings.

* to be clear I'm referring to the game itself not the fan fiction and novels written about it
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-11-09, 12:43 PM   #42
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Toss3 vs Ninjaman... This will be epic.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 12:47 PM   #43
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Sorry I spent the entire weekend playing this game and I love it, to see someone who turned it on and played around for a bit criticize it made me go nerdrage. Sorry Toss3, but play the game at least before you say it has a boring story. Otherwise forgive my rudeness.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 11-11-09, 01:01 PM   #44
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

if you dont think this is an action rpg, you have no idea what an action rpg is.

Old 11-11-09, 01:07 PM   #45
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Mass Effect story was pathetic, and quite bad RPG
Old 11-11-09, 01:14 PM   #46
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
All fantasy RPG stories are generic. That's just their nature. Even Mass Effect was very generic. The way they stand out is by having a strong cast of characters and interesting events taking place in the framework of the epic.

If you are actually suggesting that DIABLO* has a more in-depth story than Dragon Age, we have nothing more to discuss. Although it's blatantly obvious that you spent no time with the game at all, despite your "hundreds of hours" claim. Also, Neverwinter Nights' story was just another boring D&D story like all the ****ty D&D novels out there. I enjoyed the game but to say it had a great story is absurd. And yes I've suffered through some bad fantasy novels, but decided to stop reading awful garbage. The only good fantasy novel series I've read was Lord of the Rings.

* to be clear I'm referring to the game itself not the fan fiction and novels written about it
While they might be generic, they at least have some personality which this game seems to lack completely; it's not what the story is about, but how it's told. I never claimed that I've spent hundreds of hours with this game - I said I hadn't gotten too far yet(my claim was that I've spent a lot of time playing other RPGs without getting this bored).
You also say you don't like fantasy novels so that already proves that we look for different things when we play an RPG; I prioritize the story as that is the fuel that keeps you going and keeps up your interest, while you might enjoy the open world gameplay more.

I've got to spend more time with this game before passing judgement, but I just wanted to point out that not everybody is thrilled about this game.

I might add that I found Mass Effect's story very non-generic.
Old 11-11-09, 01:19 PM   #47
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Mass Effect story was pathetic, and quite bad RPG
What was so bad about it? I really liked it. Edit: Could you give an example of a game whose story you found interesting?
Old 11-11-09, 01:39 PM   #48
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
While they might be generic, they at least have some personality which this game seems to lack completely; it's not what the story is about, but how it's told. I never claimed that I've spent hundreds of hours with this game - I said I hadn't gotten too far yet(my claim was that I've spent a lot of time playing other RPGs without getting this bored).
You also say you don't like fantasy novels so that already proves that we look for different things when we play an RPG; I prioritize the story as that is the fuel that keeps you going and keeps up your interest, while you might enjoy the open world gameplay more.
I know what you meant, I probably wrote my response poorly. But the game's story really shines once you start the main quest, which takes place after Ostagar. Just keep at it, if you're a fan of Bioware's RPGs you'll find a lot to enjoy here I'm sure. The characters are very deep, not just the playable ones but almost all the NPCs as well.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410