Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike Dragon Age
Yes I likes 54 77.14%
No I don't likes 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-09, 02:37 AM   #73
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Yes or no. Do you like Dragon Age?

Then may I be so bold to say that Dragon Age's developers have no idea what the hell turn based means. DAO is no more turn based then WoW or guild wars or everquest. Seriously, I can't believe I need to state this.

Nekrosoft, a queue is in all games, dosnt need to be an rpg. Unless the combat has the option of going to an actual turn based, where you can select and carry out actions character by character in a turn that is clearly layed out on the screen...its not turn based combat.
Old 11-12-09, 03:32 AM   #74
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

That is too bold jeff. It's turn based, but it's no stop-start turn based like a board game, hex based strategy or Jap RPG. It all happens behind the scenes.

You are right when you say a lot of MMOs use this method, while some use hack and slash, or action.

What happens is the game does all the dice rolling, you can start and stop (pause) as you see fit to try another command, the game just works out what happens on your turn then passes it over to the next character. It all happens in such a way you don't think it's turn based, which is the idea and very popular in western RPGs.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 08:40 AM   #75
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Then may I be so bold to say that Dragon Age's developers have no idea what the hell turn based means. DAO is no more turn based then WoW or guild wars or everquest. Seriously, I can't believe I need to state this.

Nekrosoft, a queue is in all games, dosnt need to be an rpg. Unless the combat has the option of going to an actual turn based, where you can select and carry out actions character by character in a turn that is clearly layed out on the screen...its not turn based combat.
Turn based combat doesn't mean one at a time combat with pausing, theres a reason that the animation doesn't match up to the damage being done to the npcs. Again, ever notice that an enemy will run away and then proceed to die randomly.

These games use a system called Active Turn Based Combat, The final fantasy series moved to this early in the series. Meaning the combat is still turn based (each character has to wait per action) but characters can be skipped if they don't take an action. Imagine playing D&D and if you don't do your action the DM just goes to the next character or makes the NPC do an action.
Old 11-12-09, 09:44 AM   #76
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
I hence forth upgrade you from Failwoody to Littlewoody. Become a Nash fan and I'll restore your original title.
I have Nash on my Fantasy Team. I think if a player like Nash were on the Cavs, they would easily win a championship. Too bad Nash is on a crappy team with Ama're Turnovermire, Grant OverTheHill, and Leandro BarWhatsDefenseBosa .
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 10:45 AM   #77
Zelda_fan

Grant OverTheHill

rofl
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 01:33 PM   #78
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

So then I ask this...when do you call something NOT turn based? Your criteria for turn based seems to be anything that manages a combat log (visable or not).
Old 11-12-09, 02:08 PM   #79
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
So then I ask this...when do you call something NOT turn based? Your criteria for turn based seems to be anything that manages a combat log (visable or not).
None turn based are Risen, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Gothic Series, Demon Souls, Diablo, System Shock 1/2 and Deus Ex.

A game is turn Base when no matter how fast you make your choice your reflexes and direct control do not affect the characters combat ability. In Dragon Age, you can run up to an NPC solo, attack him and run away, no matter your distance if the NPC made an attack while you were close it will still commence even if he is out of range. That is why sometimes you see spells traveling through walls after a retreat because they made the attack while you were in line of sight.
Old 11-12-09, 03:00 PM   #80
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
It is turn based. This is a statement confirmed by Dragon Age's developers. Dragon Age's combat system is based on a D&D-style rule set which IS TURN BASED. Other examples of turn based games of this style: Baldur's Gate II, Planescape Torment, Knights of the old Republic.

Examples of RPG games NOT turn based: Oblivion. Morrowind. Mass Effect (I think - I may be wrong).

The turns happen in real time as opposed to a Pokemon style combat system, but it's still turn based.
No he is correct. This isn't turn based. It is called real time with pause. Turn based means everyone takes a turn and someone can't go before the other has taken their turn or passes it on.

Fallout 1&2 and Arcanum for example are turn based RPGs. This is Real Time w/ Pause, I love Dragon Age but I would've preferred this be turn based.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-09, 03:31 PM   #81
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Magus, you do know that there are attacks in DAO that are not cast time based, and yet can be countered? I cant recall the attack on my warrior.. but its a shield stun attack that has a lengthy wind up. I've lost count of how many times i have activated it, and during the windup I get knocked down or stunned myself, and left with a cooldown and no stun result from the spell. Now maybe the windup is considered a "cast time" for melee attacks, but when you start applying this to all attacks, it is way beyond turn based and relies more on the visual representation of the game.
Old 11-12-09, 03:33 PM   #82
Abraxus#

You guys are saying someone is wrong based on a definition that doesn't exist.
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Abraxus# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 03:45 PM   #83
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Abrax, perhaps. Turn based is generaly used to mean exactly like the older games, the final fantasies, heck most Jrpgs. Alot of things have been introduced to make it faster and more realtime to make the game more enjoyable. Its hard to find the defining line where turn based no longer becomes turn based. But I am sure it was passed well before DAO, WoW, Eq, and many other current gen PC RPGS.
Old 11-12-09, 06:46 PM   #84
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I can't believe people are arguing it is not turn based.

This game is exactly like Fallout and Final Fantasy only it doesn't pause unless you tell it to, while those games pause on their own.

FACT.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote