Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-09, 11:55 AM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Trying Windows 7 Media Center . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
what is the build you tried, currently using 24368 and no issues, i rarely had issues with DX build, just in the early days when DX was made as an option.

When switching from opengl build to dx build it is good idea to start over with settings.

also don't use Aeon Hitched, it not updated anymore try Aeon Hitched by Ekim.

as far as browsing speed, really have no idea what you are talking about, I have only 10 movies as those are regulary rotated, but i do have over 120 TV Shows with over 4,500 episodes, not counting over 80GB of music.

and everything is grabs meta info from the net.
I went here (http://sshcs.com/xbmc/) and downloaded the latest DX Version build. No video playback, just audio.

I have around 100 movies, 100 or so TV episodes, and around 20GB of music. Just when you go through movies in the any view, it just staggers and takes a while to go through them.

If W7MC doesn't work out for me in the next week or two (like I said, I want to give it an honest try), I'll go back to XBMC.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 12:25 PM   #14
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I went here (http://sshcs.com/xbmc/) and downloaded the latest DX Version build. No video playback, just audio.

I have around 100 movies, 100 or so TV episodes, and around 20GB of music. Just when you go through movies in the any view, it just staggers and takes a while to go through them.

If W7MC doesn't work out for me in the next week or two (like I said, I want to give it an honest try), I'll go back to XBMC.
You might try disabling internet fetching of metadata and see if it stops lagging. You probably will have missing metadata (since it's not downloading it anymore) but at least you'll know if it's that that's causing the problem.

What's the specs of the rig you're running it on? The one in your sig?

Any other background tasks going on involving the hard drive? My HTPC has a C2D E7400, 4GB ram, integrated geforce 9400, etc and I have no staggering. My only problem is the loss of focus bug. I find it's the worst right when you start up mediaBrowser. If you wait 30s after starting it and then try to enter movies or TV Shows it seems to work a lot more.

The reason I love using W7MC (with media browser) is it's just that much more integrated into windows. I don't need to use a program like eventGhost to remap remote keys to program functions. It all just works (with a logitech Harmony One remote).
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 12:50 PM   #15
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
You might try disabling internet fetching of metadata and see if it stops lagging. You probably will have missing metadata (since it's not downloading it anymore) but at least you'll know if it's that that's causing the problem.
Can you tell me where to uncheck that option? Is it in the Wizard or in the program itself?

Quote:
What's the specs of the rig you're running it on? The one in your sig?
The RAM is different . .

Thread: HTPC

Quote:
Any other background tasks going on involving the hard drive? My HTPC has a C2D E7400, 4GB ram, integrated geforce 9400, etc and I have no staggering. My only problem is the loss of focus bug. I find it's the worst right when you start up mediaBrowser. If you wait 30s after starting it and then try to enter movies or TV Shows it seems to work a lot more.

The reason I love using W7MC (with media browser) is it's just that much more integrated into windows. I don't need to use a program like eventGhost to remap remote keys to program functions. It all just works (with a logitech Harmony One remote).
There are no other background apps minus Microsoft Security Essentials.

I like the integration of WMC too. With XBMC, I am using IR Media Suite and it works pretty good for the most part.

One thing that is a little disappointing about all of these media center apps is that none are anywhere close to perfect. I guess I'm being way too picky though lol.
Old 11-10-09, 01:26 PM   #16
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Can you tell me where to uncheck that option? Is it in the Wizard or in the program itself?
It's in the program itself. Launch MediaBrowser, goto settings, and there's an option to disable online fetching or something like that (can't remember the exact wording). That will make it only take metadata that is stored with the media.

There should be no problems with that computer running it. (A least I wouldn't think so...)

Quote:
Thread: HTPC

There are no other background apps minus Microsoft Security Essentials.

I like the integration of WMC too. With XBMC, I am using IR Media Suite and it works pretty good for the most part.

One thing that is a little disappointing about all of these media center apps is that none are anywhere close to perfect. I guess I'm being way too picky though lol.
I'm betting it's the caching going on in the background. I can't think of anything else it would be.

Yeah the little things bother me too. But then I remember that these programs (MediaBrowser, XMBC, etc) are free. I can't expect them to be as perfect as a program a huge company spends years developing and then charges me for it.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Old 11-11-09, 09:17 AM   #17
six_storm

I didn't get much time to mess around with my HTPC last night, but I did get to install MetaBrowser and get that process started. I'll post more impressions later tonight.
Old 11-15-09, 08:40 AM   #18
six_storm

After an extremely busy week, I finally got some time to run an Ethernet cable from my office to my living room. Now I can order server parts, build it and stream my media to the HTPC. I haven't messed with the software stuff any more but I will today.
Old 11-18-09, 07:36 AM   #19
six_storm

I'm getting to the point to where I don't think Metabrowser+Mediabrowser is working for me. For some reason, Metabrowser just stops working, won't display the fan art, won't scrape for metadata, etc. It's like it's falling apart.

I think I may stop wasting my time with these two apps and move on to something else, like Boxee. Yes, it's basically XBMC but I just wanted to give it a good try.

Why can't things just work?
Old 11-18-09, 09:51 AM   #20
mullet

This is why I use MP.

Old 11-18-09, 08:06 PM   #21
six_storm

So I've been trying Boxee out and it's been working just fine! I will convert this from my workstation over to my HTPC and give it a week to try out. It's also nice to have the built in apps too.
Old 11-19-09, 09:16 PM   #22
einstein_314
w00t!!

Well I don't know what to tell you. The combination works fine for me. Mind you, I run MetaBrowser on my win2008 server (where my media is stored, it's installed as a service and monitors my TV Shows and Movies folders). Whenever a TV Show episode or Movie is copied into the folders it automatically downloads all the metadata and images.

How do you have your media stored? For movies they must all be in their own separate folders. The best naming scheme is the movie name followed by the release year in brackets. Any other stuff you want in the name (eg I put 1080p or 720p in the name as well) needs to be in square brackets. For example: "Horton Hears a Who! (2008) [1080p]"

For MetaBrowser to recognize your files you have to make sure the file extensions you use are in the "Valid Extensions" box in the settings otherwise it will skip them. Other than that and adding your folders to look for media...it should work...
Old 11-20-09, 09:32 AM   #23
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
Well I don't know what to tell you. The combination works fine for me. Mind you, I run MetaBrowser on my win2008 server (where my media is stored, it's installed as a service and monitors my TV Shows and Movies folders). Whenever a TV Show episode or Movie is copied into the folders it automatically downloads all the metadata and images.

How do you have your media stored? For movies they must all be in their own separate folders. The best naming scheme is the movie name followed by the release year in brackets. Any other stuff you want in the name (eg I put 1080p or 720p in the name as well) needs to be in square brackets. For example: "Horton Hears a Who! (2008) [1080p]"

For MetaBrowser to recognize your files you have to make sure the file extensions you use are in the "Valid Extensions" box in the settings otherwise it will skip them. Other than that and adding your folders to look for media...it should work...
I have all of my media stored on my main workstation and have mapped network drives on the HTPC. Metabrowser is running on the HTPC.

I did notice that Metabrowser finally started automatically downloading the metadata, but it's still not showing up right in WMC.

Boxee is still rocking and rolling, so I may stick with it. One thing I forgot about was the simple fact that it can run ISOs in a single click without installing DeamonTools for MediaBrowser.

I still haven't configured my Harmony remote but it's on the list of things to do.

Also, I'm replacing my 720P 32" Westinghouse with a 1080P 40" Sony Bravia tomorrow night
Old 11-20-09, 10:00 AM   #24
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

six_storm let me know how it goes with Boxee. I've been running XBMC Linux for a year and half and just built a dedicated ION N330 box for it earlier this year. It's been very easy for me to manage from my MBP via SSH & terminal. Also run a usenet client on the box that automatically sorts my shows and updates the XBMC library whenever something downloads among other things. Currently switching between the AEON ShowMix & Alaska (night textures) skins. XBMC live also comes with LIRC already configured for MCE remote which can be emulated with Harmony One. The box is connected via HDMI for audio/video to an HK receiver and output to Pioneer KURO. Thinking about upgrading my receiver to either a HK3600 or Denon 2310ci for Dolby volume.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote